It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User
Re: Arthritis in foot & ankle Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann775 View Post
I have TMJ ,which is essentially arthritis . That is interesting Soccersaver. I drink a lot of tea. Will have to try adding cinnamon . I do use cinnamon for other things. Like my oatmeal . And do use raw honey. I will the tea more often.
My news is my doctor put me in a cam boot as of 2 days ago. He wants to immobilize my foot and ankle to,see if it helps. Unfortunately I am not allowed to work with the boot. I have been off a week for vacation and now Dr wants me in the boot for three weeks! I am trying to deal with this because I know it may help my foot and that will make it all worth it.
I hope the immobilization helps. I know that sometimes rest can do great things. After an ankle sprain hadn't healed in 9 months my orthopedist put me in a cast for a month and it did the trick.

I was also in a boot for 7 weeks before and 3 months after my ankle tendon transfer. I found that it threw off my back almost immediately. The solution was to go to a discount store and buy a pair of thick soled men's work shoes that brought me back to level again. I put in a couple of padded insoles and I was back pain free again. I know you don't want to spend money unnecessarily on shoes that will be worn for only a short while, but they were actually really cheap-a lot cheaper than the co-pay to visit the chiropractor.

Good healing.

Margarita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
(female)

ann775 HB Userann775 HB User

I will see the Orthopedic dr. On June 5 th! I am expecting a lot from that appointment, I am pretty desperate. The cam boot did nothing. As soon as I was moving again the pain and s welling came right back.
Also have developed an annoying problem in my neck for past couple months. My doc says it is from sleeping wrong : my pillow. She is wrong. It feels more like an injury that commonly become stiff and painfull at night. Besides it is stiff and painful with lots of clicking and cracking going on during certain times of day . This morning my right ankle hurts more then the left one (the bad one) . Spent couple hours working at my church last night getting ready for annual rummage sale. Was in a lot of tear causing pain at the end. Don't know why I overdue it like that? Guess I just don't think people understand and I don't want to be thought of as lazy or a complainer.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Yes, your alignment is probably off from the boot putting one foot almost an inch higher. I had back spasms within two hours of starting to wear the boot it threw me off so badly. That is why I recommended a work boot to you earlier-it was butt-ugly but it kept me level. I don't know how this would affect your neck, but it sounds as if it might be wise to see a chiropractor to get your back straightened out. I don't go often, but when I go it always makes a noticeable difference.

Good luck at your appointment Wednesday.

Margarita

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Fizzyone HB UserFizzyone HB UserFizzyone HB User

Ann, I had similar symptoms with my neck a few years back, difficulty/pain turning my head, crackling sounds, and, for me, symptoms of pretty serious TMJ. I found an orthopedic doctor who specialized in spine/neck, and he diagnosed osteoarthritis in my neck. I did physical therapy (which included stretching, strengthening for my neck, upper back, and shoulders, e-stim, and massage) and found a cervical pillow that gave me the best support for sleeping, and now it's completely under control--the TMJ symptoms even went away completely!

It was so bad that it was interfering with my ability to drive... couldn't turn my head far enough to the left or right to see if cars were coming at intersections. It's 100% improved now.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
(female)

Hi I thought I had posted sense my Dr appointment. Oh well here goes. I am bk in the cam boot for 6 wks. Luckily Dr gave me a smaller brace to wear to work, he also had me purchase some compression stockings, I don't like them. Pain to put on wash and I like my socks. . But if it helps I will wear them for now. I had never though the problem may be related to my veins. And either did the podiatrist apparently. Thank goodness I am seeing a ortho now.
Strangely my neck is not too bad last couple days. I was about to see if my Kaiser coverage covers massage. Hopefully it continues to improve. Was actually thinking it was arthritis. Which did not comfort me. I do have TMJ. Though as bad as the neck pain/ stiffness is ; my TMJ pain in my jaw , teeth ears and head is much worse when it hits . Thanks God not too often.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
(female)

Marytw HB User

Ann,

I've read your whole thread and sympathize -- I've had some similar problems. One thing that I wanted to mention is that the New Balance store in my town will let their clients buy shoes and wear them normally --inside and outside --for a decently long period (maybe 30 days) and RETURN them if they don't work out. I consider that a godsend.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
(female)

Hi all, Well I am feeling sorry for myself today. My foot is hurting quite a bit. Missed a couple doses of antiflamitories this week. Really worried about what the dr will say when I go back next week. Seems like when I am not wearing the brace or boot it hurts. Not to mention needing the pain killers.
Good news is my neck is better .Acts up when I swim sometimes,so think it is arthritis. May mention to dr.
Mary, I just ordered a pair of New Balance. Good to know though. Thanks.

Reply Reply