It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User
Thumb Basal joint fusion surgery

I was diagnosed with DeQuervains about a year ago. After a couple of months of treatment, my Ortho discovered it was Thumb basal joint arthritis. I have been on celebrex and received a few cortisone shots. I still do not have relief. My dr gave me an option of LRTI or fusion surgery. I chose (and he recommended) fusion. Has anyone had a fusion like this before? I have researched the surgery and it seems to work ok. I just wanted to hear some real stories. Post surgery, how much help will I need at the house (I have a 2 yr old son)? Will I be up and around a day or two after? How long will I have to be out of work? I asked my dr so many questions last week, but I forgot these questions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
-Cas

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

momof2girlies HB User
Re: Thumb Basal joint fusion surgery

How did your surgery go? I have thee same problem, had the tendon transfer surgery last May, and am still in a great deal of pain. Today, my doc declared the first surgery a failure and is now recommending the fusion. I'm very active and am worried about what functionality I might lose? Will I still be able to do a push-up, for instance?

Would love to hear about your experience!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girlies View Post
How did your surgery go? I have thee same problem, had the tendon transfer surgery last May, and am still in a great deal of pain. Today, my doc declared the first surgery a failure and is now recommending the fusion. I'm very active and am worried about what functionality I might lose? Will I still be able to do a push-up, for instance?

Would love to hear about your experience!

Hi!

I had the fusion surgery on 13 Dec 2012. I am still in the recovery process and my ortho said it may take another 6 weeks to see the final outcome of the surgery and to ensure the fusion worked.
I am also very active. I don't foresee performing a push-up anytime soon. Maybe in some time, a fist push up? Im not sure what kind of limited movement you have with your last surgery, but I am surprised that my thumb is very limited. I can't put my hand flat on a surface (yet). Did you have the LRTI surgery?
I really hope this fusion worked! I do not like being so limited. I have a 2 yr old son and he keeps me moving!
I am still in a spica splint for another 6 weeks and have a 2 lb limit on what I can pick up with my left hand.
Are there any other specific questions you have? Like I said, I am still in recovery and not sure how much movement I will have. When is your surgery scheduled? What happened with your first surgery?
Take care!
-Cassie

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
(female)

dchayrez HB User

I was wondering if you could update how your progress has been. I am inquiring for y mom as she is pondering having this surgery done.

Reply Reply

Tags
thumb surgery