It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

Speced tchr HB User
Celebrex question...

I have osteoarthritis and have moderate to severe back and neck pain. Am a teacher and have a stressful job....taking too much Advil.....sometimes up to 800 mg/day. My Dr. wants me to start Celebrex and that drug worries me. The ads on TV alone are frightening....
Does anyone out there take Celebrex for arthritis pain ?
If so, are there side effects ?
Thanks !

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Celebrex question...

My sister has taken it for a number of years. She's allergic to sulfa drugs and there is a caution for that with celebrex so she takes it every other day. Works OK. I declined it and am taking meloxicam. It's better than Aleve but not as good as my old Vioxx which they took off the market. It's also only $4 at Walmart. You might ask about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Speced tchr (11-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
(female)

Speced tchr HB User

That is interesting since I, too , am allergic to sulfa.
I will ask my Dr. about that. I know it has warnings about heart disease which I don't have, but the sulfa is a worry.
Thanks !
I have also heard about meloxicam. Will also ask about that.
Hate the morning pain.....maybe it will help.
Judi

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

krazykari8083 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speced tchr View Post
I have osteoarthritis and have moderate to severe back and neck pain. Am a teacher and have a stressful job....taking too much Advil.....sometimes up to 800 mg/day. My Dr. wants me to start Celebrex and that drug worries me. The ads on TV alone are frightening....
Thanks !
i heard fish oil helps reduces pain upto 50%, do some research on recommended dosage.

The Following User Says Thank You to krazykari8083 For This Useful Post:
Speced tchr (11-20-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykari8083 View Post
i heard fish oil helps reduces pain upto 50%, do some research on recommended dosage.
Hi there,
I have had arthritis for over 20 years and taken almost all the nsaids at one time or another. Celebrex was one of my favorites over the years-no side effects and great for the pain and inflammation. I used it for 3 1/2 years before it faded out and stopped working. I am a teacher also and I understand how hard it is to be upbeat and energetic when you are in pain. I have used fish oil with an nsaid for many years. Anything to keep control of the arthritis and live life the way I want. I have also tried the meloxicam you mentioned and it worked very well but it threw off my kidney function and I had to stop it after a month. Every nsaid is different and each person reacts differently to them. Hopefully you find the one that works really well for you soon.

Good luck and I hope to hear of you out of pain soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to margarita889 For This Useful Post:
Speced tchr (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User
Smile Re: Celebrex question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykari8083 View Post
Hi there,
I have had arthritis for over 20 years and taken almost all the nsaids at one time or another. Celebrex was one of my favorites over the years-no side effects and great for the pain and inflammation. I used it for 3 1/2 years before it faded out and stopped working. I am a teacher also and I understand how hard it is to be upbeat and energetic when you are in pain. I have used fish oil with an nsaid for many years. Anything to keep control of the arthritis and live life the way I want. I have also tried the meloxicam you mentioned and it worked very well but it threw off my kidney function and I had to stop it after a month. Every nsaid is different and each person reacts differently to them. Hopefully you find the one that works really well for you soon.

Good luck and I hope to hear of you out of pain soon.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
(female)

Speced tchr HB User

Thanks for info.....decided I have to stick with Advil since i"m allergic to Septra ( sulfa) which prohibits use of Celebrex. There is a history of heart issues in my family, so I'm actually relieved not to deal with Celebrex as in Vioxx family.
Happy Holidays to all other arthritis sufferers ! Stay pain-free !
Judi Welch

Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
(female)

Smile Re: Celebrex question...

Quote:
Thanks for info.....decided I have to stick with Advil since i"m allergic to Septra ( sulfa) which prohibits use of Celebrex. There is a history of heart issues in my family, so I'm actually relieved not to deal with Celebrex as in Vioxx family.
Happy Holidays to all other arthritis sufferers ! Stay pain-free !
Judi Welch
I would never consider telling someone what to do, but I do want you to know that I am allergic to Septra as well and never had an issue. I think that it is a caution, not that you are prohibited from using it. When you talk with your rheumatologist you might want to talk about dosage as well as other options. The over-the-counter dosages are far lower that what can be used under supervision, and perhaps you just need your Advil dose adjusted.

Happy Holidays to you.

Margarita

Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
(male)

Railroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB User

I have had two previous back surgeries and use to take Celebrex for 2-3 years before the surgeries,it worked real good,with no side affects,after the second surgery my dr started me on the meloxicam and have been on it for 5-6 years. I felt like it was not doing any good so I had my dr write me a script for celebrex again and after taking a 90 day supply, I did not notice any good or help with switching back, so i stoped taking it because it was $ 100 for a 90 day supply compared to the $ 4 for the meloxicam. Now I switch back in forth between advils & tylenol & meloxicam.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
(female)

Happy Mom HB User

Quote:
Thanks !
I took Vioxx with good results (I have lots of osteoarthritis in most joints except my knees), but after the ban of Vioxx, the doctor wrote a script for Celebrex. The Celebrex bothered my stomach, and it was less effective than the Vioxx, and I stopped using the prescription. Now I take Advil, but I found heat packs and a warm water exercise program do offer some relief.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
(female)

Bikkiebak HB User

I have been taking Celebrex for 2 years on and off for spondylosis, it was great, reduced pain and increased flexibility a little. As I have family history of heart problems I try not to take it for too long in any one stretch, but the relief from pain was worth the risk sometimes. Having just hadsurgery last week for bulging disc, Im hoping the back pain will be reduced in the future, although Im experiencing extreme sciatic pain at the moment, my doctor has said to keep taking the celebrex as it reduces inflammation? Has anyone else been told this?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
(female)

Sorry to hear you are in pain with your back. Yes, I trashed a disk and was put on anti-inflammatories as a follow-up after I got off the prednisone. I have been on one or another type of anti-inflammatory for over 20 years because of my arthritis. The difference between anti-inflammatories and tylenol is that they help get the swelling down as well as help with pain. Because they work at the root of the problem, they will be more effective for what you are dealing with. I will have to go off my medications and get by with tylenol for the next week before I have surgery and I am dreading it. I will take the maximum dose, but it won't begin to cover the pain as well. I can understand your concerns, but the short term goal of getting your back settled down is worth taking the celebrex for now. Just in case you don't know-if you take it with food it will be absorbed more slowly but will actually be at a higher level long term so less pain for the same dose.

Good healing

Margarita

Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
(female)

MISSAMYJO HB User

Quote:
That is interesting since I, too , am allergic to sulfa.
I will ask my Dr. about that. I know it has warnings about heart disease which I don't have, but the sulfa is a worry.
Thanks !
I have also heard about meloxicam. Will also ask about that.
Hate the morning pain.....maybe it will help.
Judi
I have taken Celebrex for about a year. I don't have any side effects. It helps a lot. Again, as I have posted on other boards, I have read some about knocking wheat out of your diet (and it is in a lot of things, there is a list in Wheat Belly). That has made me able to stand up and walk immediately after sitting, for instance, in a restaurant whereas I used to have stand there for a while to get everything going again... Good luck!

Reply Reply