It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

fdproxy HB User
Pseudoephedrine?!

Hello,

Since May my left hand pinky started to swollen (the last joint). At first I thought I did some wrong move playing guitar. After two months the swelling was bigger and so was the pain. I had morning stiffness of feet since about 5 years ago, but I usually exercise in the morning, so it wasn’t much of a problem. Now the stiffness is also in hands and the last joints of left hand fingers started swollen.

It looks like I have osteoarthritis, according to a rheumatologist I visited several months ago. I did a set of blood tests but nothing unusual came up. He prescribed me some powerful anti-inflammatory pills and glucosamine. No effect.

Meanwhile I did an x-ray and show it to an orthopedist. He said “this isn’t arthritis; the joint space is normal” and he gave me a splint to wear it for two weeks. No result.

Then, another MD recommended me physiotherapy. No effect (and it looks like voodoo).

What I am looking for is an alternate diagnostic. Here is some more information:
  1. About two months after my beloved pinky started to hurt, a tiny kidney stone blocked my right kidney, so I wore a Cook stent for about 3 weeks. The doctors ruled out any link since the blood tests were fine.
  2. The pain seemed to vanish when I took antibiotics for the above problem.
  3. The pain almost goes away with paracetamol + pseudoephedrine or just pseudoephedrine. And the effect is durable and much more noticeable than in the case of the prescribed anti-inflammatory. Ah, and I can easily take off my wedding ring
  4. About 20 years ago I got lung sarcoidosis.
  5. I have chronic nasal congestion (that’s why I, sometimes, take ParaSinus).

Kind regards,
Florin

Last edited by fdproxy; 11-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Pseudoephedrine?!

Dear Florin, welcome on board and Byna Ziya !
Mylsymesk for writing here. I am not a DR but want to let you know what I know and how I feel about your situation.
So many different conditions may cause our joints and soft tissue swell and cause pain as well. Many people immediately think this may be either RA or OA, meanwhile yes, kidney or heart conditions, warms, and much more can cause same symptoms.

My husband was walking with same stent for same reason as you; his body swell so bad, I was worry for him a lot. When one part of our body suffers, it may affect other parts and even organs.
Make sure you pursue you research; if you not well, you body tries to tell you something, you just need to listen and go to see different doctors until you get your answers.

Best of luck,
Moldova

Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
(male)

fdproxy HB User
Re: Pseudoephedrine?!

Thank you for your support, Moldova and buna ziua.

I will look further trying to find an alternate diagnostic. On the other hand, I believe inheritance plays an important part. I remember my grandmother, on my fatherís side; she had every single finger joint swollen in the same way. She didnít care much about doctors so she took a ďdotĒ, thatís how she used to call aspirin, and that was all.

Reply Reply

Tags
congestion, kidney, pseudoephedrine, sarcoidosis