It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

sminolympia HB User
Unhappy Advanced Osteoarthritis in Both Knees

I have had osteo in both knees since I was 12. Been tested many times to make sure it's not rheumatoid, and all blood tests always come back normal with the exception of consistent low RBC. I am at the point of my doctor telling me I need both knees replaced. My surgeon is hesitant, due to my age. Has anyone else had this type of joint pain at a young age, and am I truly out of options?...I am beginning to have stiffness and minor swelling in my fingers and this all is leading to frustration. I've tried all the anti inflammatories, a few pain meds and am now on Cymbalta. I have extreme fatigue most of the time, along with the constant pain. I had one knee scoped, and it actually made it worse. Any advice or recommendations are very much appreciated

Last edited by sminolympia; 12-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

achyFL HB User
Re: Advanced Osteoarthritis in Both Knees

Please consider seeing a rheumatologist if you haven't done so. When I was 10, I developed fatigue, fever, and changes in RBC count. After both knees became very swollen, I was diagnosed with JRA (now called JIA). Typical RA tests like Rheumatoid factor are usually negative in this disease, but joint damage can still occur.

I haven't had a knee replacement yet, but it's coming. I had both hips replaced at 33, they did start to wear out and I have now had 1 removed and replaced, and will have to do the other soon. It's best to wait to do joint replacement until the problems affect your quality of life, but once you're at that point, there's no point in waiting longer. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
knee, osteoarthritis, young