It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
2 of 4 tests were elevated. ??

I started out a couple of months ago with a nodule on my little finger. I was also experiencing severe fatigue. In the last month I have had nodules appear on almost every finger, some at top joint, some on middle joints. My hands started hurting like crazy and the last week it has progressed to both wrists. It feels like glass in my wrist joints!

I went to my Foot and Ankle OS for a follow up visit (have had four foot surgeries for tendon tears). I mentioned the pain in my wrists and showed him the nodules. He ordered Sed rate, CRP, ANA, and R Factor. The sed rate and CRP were elevated, the ANA ok and RFactor negative. He has referred me to a rheumatologist

My question is: can osteoarthritis or other conditions cause these elevated numbers/symptoms or strictly RA? If RA wouldn't R Factor be positive? :

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: 2 of 4 tests were elevated. ??

Does anyone know??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

RachaelSP HB User

Sometimes the RF test can give false negatives or false positives. If I am not mistaken the sed rate and the crp will signify inflammation. Follow up with Rheumatology is an excellent idea. In answering your question yes osteoarthrritis, can elevate your sed rate and crp in addition to strenuous exercise, etc. Crp is a test they also do to see if you have had a heart attack if you present to the ER with chest pain, etc. Since my diagnosis of fibro 10 years ago my sed rate has never been in the normal range everytime it has been taken ( normally twice a year). My crp has always been normal. My RF factor is slowly on the rise and my ana was negative. I hope that helps you.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User

Hello, yes other conditions can cause elevated numbers. Last November my then 20 yr old son woke one morning with very sore toes on one foot, then the other foot, and a week or two later swollen ankles. He had the same results as you, high crp and sed rate and negative ana and rf factor and was sent to a rheumatologist. At this point they have just diagnosed him with inflammatory arthritis. The doctor said that if you catch RA in the early stages or have a milder form you can be rf negative. There are also several forms of seronegative arthritis like psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and reactive arthritis that will have a negative rf factor. It took several months to stop the flare and the doctor is hoping to wean him off of the meds next month and see what happens. Hope your appointment goes well, and that you feel better soon!

Reply Reply