It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
basal joint surgery using tendon

I had my right thumb done using my tendon in June of 2011. So it has been a little over a year.

Rehab was long and hard, but by about 10 months I had good use of my hand. I don't have much strength in it though. My thumb is also in my palm. I was surprised with that, no one told me it would look different afterwards.

Recently, in the past two weeks I have been getting aching and sometimes a sharp shooting pain right in the surgical area. It also happens sometimes when I put pressure on that are, am lifting something, or just move it a certain way.

I have a lot going on right now (Thyroid Cancer) and am just unnerved that my thumb is so painful right now!

I am thinking I should go back and see the surgeon and have this checked out. I surely do not want another surgery, but this hurts!

The following user gives a hug of support to Lolly808:
dgarafa1 (11-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
(male)

JLM52 HB User
Re: Basal joint arthroplasty 1 year ago

Lolly, So sorry to hear of your difficulties. This spring will be my 3 year mark post surgery. I used to also have the shooting pains you described but they have abated with time. As of late I have been using something that has provided some help. They are called IMAK Arthritis gloves. At first I used them only at night, but have found that wearing them throughout the day helps a lot. I used to have an odd numbness in the hand that I had surgery on. The gloves seem to help with this. Also the pain and stiffness in the fingers of the hand that had surgery (which I didn't have pre-surgery) is helped. I wear the gloves on both hands. Bless you and much luck to you with your thyroid cancer treatment.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLM52 For This Useful Post:
Lolly808 (10-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi all,
I am new to this board and will be having surgery on my thumb right before Christmas. I too find that bracing and cortisone shots no longer work, and I find it difficult to hold a book, pass out papers(I teach) and even squeeze a toothpaste tube without pain that takes my breath away when I move the thumb wrong.

From what I've read (and I have read everything I can get my hands on!) there is a point where the surgery is not as effective. If you let things go until the hand is really weak, you will not get the strength back, if the thumb has moved too much out of place it doesn't go back to normal either. I don't go into this lightly, but I am hopeful that this surgery will be as successful as my ankle and partial knee replacements. I trust my surgeon to do as fine a job as he has on the other 4 surgeries.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

kss53 HB User
Smile Re: Basal joint arthroplasty 1 year ago

Margarita & Exodus, thanks for your posts! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers with your upcoming surgeries. I'll also be anxious to hear how you're progressing afterwards. Although there's always some degree of pain in my hand/wrist (it's funny how that becomes almost "normal"), some days I feel like it's not that bad and I can make some adjustments & live with it. Then there are times when it's hard to do anything - open a jar, button a button, and I can sure relate to that sudden excrutiating pain when you move your thumb wrong or bump it in the wrong place! Do others have those ups and downs, too? Re: your questions about recovery tips: dajo and chiacat had some good advice in some threads 2010-2011. I think the thread was "Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least my story". I hope that helps!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
(female)

Yayagoldie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita889 View Post
Hi all,
I am new to this board and will be having surgery on my thumb right before Christmas. I too find that bracing and cortisone shots no longer work, and I find it difficult to hold a book, pass out papers(I teach) and even squeeze a toothpaste tube without pain that takes my breath away when I move the thumb wrong.

From what I've read (and I have read everything I can get my hands on!) there is a point where the surgery is not as effective. If you let things go until the hand is really weak, you will not get the strength back, if the thumb has moved too much out of place it doesn't go back to normal either. I don't go into this lightly, but I am hopeful that this surgery will be as successful as my ankle and partial knee replacements. I trust my surgeon to do as fine a job as he has on the other 4 surgeries.

Wish me luck.
I am having my surgery on the 6th of December. I feel much the same as you: have the surgery done before this old thumb gets any worse. Much luck to you.
Lisa

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
(female)

Yayagoldie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus7777777 View Post
Hi - Exodus, here - Newbie!

I can identify with both of you pianists - am scheduled for basal joint arthroplasty with LRTI on 12/5 and scared spitless. Most of my anxiety comes from the things I've heard about not getting much strength back afterward, but I guess if you go in before it gets really bad it's to your advantage. Also concerned about the pain afterward and how to get things done with only one hand - am having the non-dominant one done first, but the other one is just as bad . . . I'm just chicken to have it done first. I have also read many conflicting reports and wonder how this will affect my playing - especially bass hand span . . .

Hopefully, some of you read my post . . . I can use all the tips y'all can give me about making my home accessible for a one-handed-single woman . . . at this point, I can't even figure out how I'll dress myself.

I'm also interested in hearing from people who have already had this specific surgery and wish they had done it sooner

Thanksgiving blessings
Exodus. Good luck on your surgery. My arthroplasty surgery is in 5 days. I am feeling anxious also. . But I have heard many positive experiences here on this board. And also read about the successes of this sort of surgery. I had to rehab my knee from a serious injury and I learned to be patient with the recovery process and do your physical therapy when the time comes.
Lisa

Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayagoldie View Post
Exodus. Good luck on your surgery. My arthroplasty surgery is in 5 days. I am feeling anxious also. . But I have heard many positive experiences here on this board. And also read about the successes of this sort of surgery. I had to rehab my knee from a serious injury and I learned to be patient with the recovery process and do your physical therapy when the time comes.
Lisa
Last February when I went through my second PKR I had two online friends who had theirs at the same time. It was really great to have the support of others in the same circumstance and share our concerns and successes. Hopefully our little group who are going into this in December will be able to one hand type well enough to do the same thing.

Good luck on your surgery. I will be praying for you.

Margarita

Reply Reply