It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

Tooscared23 HB User
Does anyone take daily Tylenol for their arthritis?

Sorry to post here, as I do not have arthritis, but I figured it was my best bet. I take Tylenol everyday for headaches, usually around 2,000 mg a day. 1,000 in the morning, 1,000 in the evening. This has been going on a little over a year. My doctors are not concerned and their reasoning is because there are plenty of arthritis patients who take Tylenol daily for years with no ill effects. So do any of you take daily Tylenol? How much? How long? What has your experience been? I appreciate it very much!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User
Re: Does anyone take daily Tylenol for their arthritis?

When I was much younger I took Tylenol, acetaminophen, and Advil, ibuprofen, much more frequently and in higher doses than listed as the maximum dose. It appears you are doing the same thing.
I didn't have the time or inclination (money) to sit in doctors offices to better manage the joint pain I had. This was the beginning of real problems for me. My burst fracture at L1 had miraculously stayed together and had healed. As I got older "Uncle Art came to visit" as my dad,a general practitioner, calls arthritis. I used way too much of these and I have the liver to prove it.
You do not want to use this stuff carelessly, It CAN kill you. It hasn't killed me but only because I stopped using this as the pain became unbearable and Tylenol was no help at all.
You need to find a doctor that will listen to you. You may have to go thru the alpha bet to do it but find one that HEARS your concerns and will help you.
Life lasts too long to screw it up at the beginning like I have. It will remind you every day if you do.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Chronic use of Tylenol can cause liver damage, and if you have daily headaches, you need to find out what is causing them, and treat the cause. Most arthritis patients don't take Tylenol because it is not very effective for arthritis. I think your Dr. needs to address your headaches, not condone your use of Tylenol every day for this long. Please keep in mind that half of your liver can be destroyed before it even shows up on liver enzyme blood tests, so be careful and get to the bottom of this.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

I take two extra-strength Tylenol twice daily. That's 2000 mg daily. I have fibromyalgia and wide-spread arthritis that is moderate to severe. I cannot tolerate any form of anti-inflammatory, nor codeine or morphine. So if Tylenol doesn't work, I take oxycodone. My pain Dr. set this up, but is concerned that the oxycodone also contains tylenol-about 325 mg. Since I'm terrified of becoming addicted to the oxy, I rarely take any, unless pain starts early in the day despite my first two tylenols. There is another drug that is oxycodone without the tylenol and he wanted me to start taking that daily, instead of oxy once in a while. My GP said no and I agreed with her because the tylenol does help, some days not enough, but most days its okay. And if oxy is addictive by iteslf, can you imagine what it would be like full-strength?!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
(male)

Pain management must be an individually developed therapy. My osteoarthritis has been complicit in joint damage to my back, both shoulders, and both knees. I have had joint repair and replacement done that has reduced my daily pain level. It hasn't eliminated it. I still need pain medication. I have other problems that makes NSAID use impossible, and not because of liver damage, though I have that too.
If you find a doctor that is willing to provide a therapy that helps you, you are lucky. Political correctness has damaged the field of pain management to the point that doctors do not want to take the risk of helping those that need serious medication therapy.
Pain degrades the quality and the quantity of life. Make sure that your pain management therapy, no matter what it is, provides what you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveO48 For This Useful Post:
Wootton (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
(female)

Tooscared23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootton View Post
I take two extra-strength Tylenol twice daily. That's 2000 mg daily. I have fibromyalgia and wide-spread arthritis that is moderate to severe. I cannot tolerate any form of anti-inflammatory, nor codeine or morphine. So if Tylenol doesn't work, I take oxycodone. My pain Dr. set this up, but is concerned that the oxycodone also contains tylenol-about 325 mg. Since I'm terrified of becoming addicted to the oxy, I rarely take any, unless pain starts early in the day despite my first two tylenols. There is another drug that is oxycodone without the tylenol and he wanted me to start taking that daily, instead of oxy once in a while. My GP said no and I agreed with her because the tylenol does help, some days not enough, but most days its okay. And if oxy is addictive by iteslf, can you imagine what it would be like full-strength?!
How long have you been taking Tylenol? No damage to the liver as far as you are aware correct? I cannot take anything such as ibuprofen, as I am allergic.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
(female)

I was taking arthritis tylenol for about 3 years, 2 of them at bedtime only as they make me drowsy during the day, and I work full-time. That was when I needed the oxycodone more often. Since I've been on this dosage of Xstrength tylenol, since the summer, the need for the oxycodone has decreased dramatically. And as someone else said here, there's not much out there that's going to give us 100% relief; I'm normally happy with the pain levels. On days that threaten bad weather though, lordy not even oxy helps enough. My osteoarthritis is in all my joints, big and small, and is eating away at my vertebrae too. Fibromyalgia just complicates things of course. My latest challenge is heel spurs on the outside of the backs of my heels. Amazingly, the pain is far less since I got orthotics a week ago. By that's another subject for another day.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootton View Post
I was taking arthritis tylenol for about 3 years, 2 of them at bedtime only as they make me drowsy during the day, and I work full-time. That was when I needed the oxycodone more often. Since I've been on this dosage of Xstrength tylenol, since the summer, the need for the oxycodone has decreased dramatically. And as someone else said here, there's not much out there that's going to give us 100% relief; I'm normally happy with the pain levels. On days that threaten bad weather though, lordy not even oxy helps enough. My osteoarthritis is in all my joints, big and small, and is eating away at my vertebrae too. Fibromyalgia just complicates things of course. My latest challenge is heel spurs on the outside of the backs of my heels. Amazingly, the pain is far less since I got orthotics a week ago. By that's another subject for another day.
Hi,
I have had bone spurring for most of my life, (autoimmune response?), and any joint that has been injured over repairs itself with the result that the surfaces get very irregular and damage the tissue that cushions the contact, knees, back, shoulders, elbows. I too have bone spurring , calcaneal spur at the insertion of the Achilles tendon, in both heels. I found that an orthodic insert in my shoes for plantar fasciitis and high arches resolved the pain.
The spurs are, in my case, caused by my high arch and the way I walk which puts high impact loads on the heel and my foot rolls to the outside thru my gait, (overpronation). You may have this too.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I take meloxicam. It's prescription but only $4 at Walmart.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
(female)

Egad Dave, we could be twins! An autoimune response sounds very likely.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
(female)

HildeW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooscared23 View Post
Sorry to post here, as I do not have arthritis, but I figured it was my best bet. I take Tylenol everyday for headaches, usually around 2,000 mg a day. 1,000 in the morning, 1,000 in the evening. This has been going on a little over a year. My doctors are not concerned and their reasoning is because there are plenty of arthritis patients who take Tylenol daily for years with no ill effects. So do any of you take daily Tylenol? How much? How long? What has your experience been? I appreciate it very much!
Hello,

I take 2000mg paracetamol which is, a think about the same as Tylenol, for ankle osteoarthritis. I also take Celebrex which has much more possible side effects. The PCM makes me need less of the stronger meds.
I think if you really need these meds, you should not be to scared. Ibuprofen is much more dangeress.
What worries me more is the fact that your headache can be the result of your use of the Tylenol. Often the headaches starts for one reason and stay because of chronic use of painkillers like this. If you want to quit you might need help, because quitting will make your pain worse in the beginning, but it may very well be worth while.

Greatings,
Hilde

Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
(female)

Tooscared23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HildeW View Post
Hello,

I take 2000mg paracetamol which is, a think about the same as Tylenol, for ankle osteoarthritis. I also take Celebrex which has much more possible side effects. The PCM makes me need less of the stronger meds.
I think if you really need these meds, you should not be to scared. Ibuprofen is much more dangeress.
What worries me more is the fact that your headache can be the result of your use of the Tylenol. Often the headaches starts for one reason and stay because of chronic use of painkillers like this. If you want to quit you might need help, because quitting will make your pain worse in the beginning, but it may very well be worth while.

Greatings,
Hilde
Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. It makes me feel a lot better to know that someone else takes around the same daily dosage of tylenol that I do. I am also almost certain that the daily headaches are a result from the tylenol and it is just a vicious cycle. That, or my horrible teeth grinding. I've worn guards for the grinding and I wake up with migraines, I clench so hard on the plastic. None the less, because I think it may be the Tylenol causing the headaches, causing me to take MORE Tylenol, the doctor thinks its worth a shot, but is in no rush to take me off the Tylenol with prednisone. She wants to get my migraines under control before we make them worse for weeks by taking away the Tylenol. She isn't concerned about the Tylenol, but as you can see, I am. Who knows how long it will take to get these migraines under control and I have already been on daily Tylenol for about 14 months now. I'm so worried about liver damage and ending up in the hospital and dying

Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
(female)

HildeW HB User

Don't be that scared. Ofcourse one should ever take more meds than you need, but I am sure you can take this dose for many years if needed. As long as you do not take large amounts of alcohol with it you should be fine. The max dose of my PCM is 4000 mg so we are in the safe zone.
If it makes you feel better maybe your dr can check your blood to see how the liver is taking it. I know my dr wants me to every year, but that is more for the Celebrex than the PCM.
I don't know about your country, but here in Holland there are special headache clinics, run by a neurologist and a special nurse. They are doing a great job in fighting the pain and meds addiction. This is often difficult because it takes so much time and attention. They use meds for that to, but I have not heard about the use of prednisone. That is one med I am scared of! Maybe there is such a clinic or dr nearby?
At least it seems that your dr is taking you serious. That is a good thing.
I really do hope there will be a solution for your migraine soon. In the mean times; relax, I am sure you will not die of liver failure.
Be well,
Hilde

Reply Reply