It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

loopylemon18 HB User
Who wants to vent about methotrexate?

Hey guys!
I've been on MTX for a little over a year now. Just wondering what kind of side effects others have been having and if anyone wants to talk about it. Usually leaves me nauseated and pretty exhausted, but seems to be controlling my psoriatic arthritis pretty well.
Does anyone get nauseated just thinking about the injection? The smell of rubbing alcohol makes me sick now because I associate it with the MTX :P I always have such anxiety about the injections, even now. *sigh* such a wimp XD

Last edited by loopylemon18; 01-04-2013 at 09:57 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: loopylemon18
cmomom (01-10-2013), Moldova (01-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

cmomom HB User
Re: Who wants to vent about methotrexate?

I know exactly what you mean. Just the thought of an injection makes me want to throw up. My side effects from the metho were so bad, my DR put me on leflunomide (Arava) instead in a pill form and I have much less side effects. (Only hair loss.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

BayouGirlJill HB User

I know what you mean. I have tried MTX pills and gives me gastro upset plus exhaustion. that is why I inject. I still get the exhaustion andand occasional nausea, but not like like the pill form. Do you ever get a slight flare of your joints after the injection? I just was wondering. Cmomom I have tried Arava(leflunomide) but had bad side effects-nausea, vomiting, hair loss. Ewww! I does work well for some people though but not me!

Jill

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You are my hero! You on MTX for one year while I had to give up after 4 month and 17 pounds lighter.
I couldn't eat, hardly had any energy. Don't forget, this drug is a chemo-therapy drug, the one they give to cancer patients just in a different doses.

Yet, nausea is my worst symptom, not only eat, I couldn't smell the food if someone else ate. So after trying and trying, I decided it not worth it and my RA DR agreed with me. Besides, never helped my RA.

Best of luck to you
Moldova

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylemon18 View Post
Hey guys!
I've been on MTX for a little over a year now. Just wondering what kind of side effects others have been having and if anyone wants to talk about it. Usually leaves me nauseated and pretty exhausted, but seems to be controlling my psoriatic arthritis pretty well.
Does anyone get nauseated just thinking about the injection? The smell of rubbing alcohol makes me sick now because I associate it with the MTX :P I always have such anxiety about the injections, even now. *sigh* such a wimp XD
Was on MTX injections for about 8 months. I could not tolerate the side effects so MD started me on Humira injections in Dec 2012. Have had 3 injections so far with no side effects. I see some decrease in stiffness in the mornings. I guess it will take a few months for it to be fully effective. Wishing you the best with the MTX. If not tolerable, there are other options. Best Wishes, Pixie

Reply Reply

Tags
jra, methotrexate, teenagers