It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User
Re: Basal Joint surgery

Dear Haydena,

I'm delighted to hear you are doing so well. Hopefully that numb section will come back-a lot of the nerves do reconnect, but they grow very slowly. With my knees I got back almost all the area that was numb, but it took over 6 months. I am still doing my exercises and will be doing them for quite a while yet, but my final therapy session was Tuesday, so I am officially released.

Right now things are really busy for me-only 5 days until exams, so of course my students have just decided they want an A and how can they raise their grade from a C between now and then. I have a lot of correcting to do which is really wreaking havoc with my left hand, but I have the most docile, cooperative, obedient students ever as they feel the pressure of finals. I work in a Catholic High School which means I have it a lot easier than those teaching in public schools to begin with, but this week is like a vacation! I wish they wanted to work like this every week, but then they are just normal kids.

I have started seeds and also started some for a friend of ours who will be giving my daughter Gina and me a large piece of his garden to use. He lives on an acre of land and doesn't need all his garden since his children are grown and gone. I think he likes us there because we do all the watering that is necessary so he doesn't have to. We have offered to pay, but he doesn't want anything, even for the water. I will put my tomato plants in at our house where I have a small garden space that is fenced. The deer have gotten really bad and I can't have anything growing in the open in our yard which is really a shame. I used to have 40 feet of raspberries and would pick 2 gallons at a time during the peak of the season, but the deer have destroyed them all. There isn't enough food for them any longer since the farm behind our house was sold and divided for a subdivision. We live next to a park, so there is plenty of space for them to live in the woods safely, but without the corn fields they are eating everything else.

Just a few days until I go to Florida. I will go on Good Friday and stay to the following Friday. I have a lot of work to do, but I will also have a chance to spend a lot of time with my family. I plan to correct my exams on the flight down. I have done that several years and it really helps with the boredom.

Then it will be a few more weeks to the end of the fourth term, Florida, Costa Rica, and then surgery on the left. My surgeon is working on moving my surgery up by a week so that I am out of the brace before the start of classes. That would make correcting so much easier. So wish me luck on that one. He will let me know later this month or in early April.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you next week when you are finally free from the splint. I think you should buy a new ring for that hand to celebrate the occasion. I think that jewelry is always appropriate for a special event, don't you?

Take Care.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita889 View Post
Dear Haydena,

I'm delighted to hear you are doing so well. Hopefully that numb section will come back-a lot of the nerves do reconnect, but they grow very slowly. With my knees I got back almost all the area that was numb, but it took over 6 months. I am still doing my exercises and will be doing them for quite a while yet, but my final therapy session was Tuesday, so I am officially released.

Right now things are really busy for me-only 5 days until exams, so of course my students have just decided they want an A and how can they raise their grade from a C between now and then. I have a lot of correcting to do which is really wreaking havoc with my left hand, but I have the most docile, cooperative, obedient students ever as they feel the pressure of finals. I work in a Catholic High School which means I have it a lot easier than those teaching in public schools to begin with, but this week is like a vacation! I wish they wanted to work like this every week, but then they are just normal kids.

I have started seeds and also started some for a friend of ours who will be giving my daughter Gina and me a large piece of his garden to use. He lives on an acre of land and doesn't need all his garden since his children are grown and gone. I think he likes us there because we do all the watering that is necessary so he doesn't have to. We have offered to pay, but he doesn't want anything, even for the water. I will put my tomato plants in at our house where I have a small garden space that is fenced. The deer have gotten really bad and I can't have anything growing in the open in our yard which is really a shame. I used to have 40 feet of raspberries and would pick 2 gallons at a time during the peak of the season, but the deer have destroyed them all. There isn't enough food for them any longer since the farm behind our house was sold and divided for a subdivision. We live next to a park, so there is plenty of space for them to live in the woods safely, but without the corn fields they are eating everything else.

Just a few days until I go to Florida. I will go on Good Friday and stay to the following Friday. I have a lot of work to do, but I will also have a chance to spend a lot of time with my family. I plan to correct my exams on the flight down. I have done that several years and it really helps with the boredom.

Then it will be a few more weeks to the end of the fourth term, Florida, Costa Rica, and then surgery on the left. My surgeon is working on moving my surgery up by a week so that I am out of the brace before the start of classes. That would make correcting so much easier. So wish me luck on that one. He will let me know later this month or in early April.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you next week when you are finally free from the splint. I think you should buy a new ring for that hand to celebrate the occasion. I think that jewelry is always appropriate for a special event, don't you?

Take Care.

Linda
Hello dear Linda,

''A new ring?" I know you are seated now! Hubby bought me new earrings 2 days ago!!!! as I was having such a hard time closing mine he decided to take me on a drive to the jeweler where I was told to ''choose''
Two great minds think alike!! (He had a hard time closing the previous earrings)

Today I decided to take my splint off alone to give my hand & scar an airing.
Scar looks great, thin & about 9 cm. swelling has almost all gone down, the only part that looks a bit deformed is the lower thumb where the surgeon wrapped the tendon around the 2 bones. I oiled & creamed all my hand, covered it with a large piece of gauze & replaced the micro plastic splint & closed the 2 velcro straps going around my wrist & just under thumb. Great feeling of comfort! Hydration at its best!

Linda, my thumb tip is not numb. I must admit I did'nt touch my thumb as I used the oil via a dropper, am sure it is numb there. I will be able to tell you more after Wednesday when my splint is officially removed. YAY.

Congrats on finishing your physio. Way to go! You are right to continue doing your excercises.

Due to overworking my left hand, I started to feel a weird kind of weakness in my wrist. My surgeon did tell me that the arthroplasty is for life, so I reassured
myself & did not go into a mad panic. I bought myself a medium strength wrist guard & wear it when I write, cook & do the laundry. I also apply Traumeel to the left wrist. As I type now, I do not feel any pain in that area, thank goodness. Maybe a wrist guard would help your hand whilst you are writing & correcting those exam papers? Linda, please dont strain your hand, no matter what, you've healed so well & fast.

Your ''extra garden'' sounds divine, you are so lucky to have such a kind neighbour. Good luck with your project. I have friends living in rural areas in the US who also have huge problems with deer, eating everything they are able to find.

Your Good Friday is our Passover here, we will both be on vacation! I wish you a safe journey & a happy time with your family & good luck with the stuff you need to attend to in Florida.

The best of good luck for an early surgery date. When do classes start?

Surgery on your left hand will be easier on you as you've already been through the same (surgery) on your right hand. You are well prepared & your positive attitude helps loads. I will be here to ''talk'' to & support you.

All the best to you Linda.

Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Hi Linda & Cassie,

My splint was removed yesterday evening. Surgeon checked both my hands & was pleased with the right hand & told me my left hand has only been overworked because right hand was immobile. Relief!
I am having physio & am very relieved to have had both surgeries. Both successful.
I will let you know how I am doing as the time passes.
I wish you both a very happy Easter & happy holidays.
Haydena.

The following user gives a hug of support to Haydena:
margarita889 (03-22-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #49
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi Haydena,
When I got back from Florida last night I looked to see if you had posted, so I was glad to see you were safely home from vacation as well. It was good to see in your posts that you are doing so well. My hand performed beautifully-no pain even moving loaded boxes. I will continue with my exercises for a while longer, but it feels good to be back to normal. As expected, the left hand is really complaining from the extra work-especially all the exams that I had to correct on the flights down and back. I wish it weren't necessary to wait to July, but I will just have to be patient.

I am happy to say that my tomato plants grew to 4 inches under my husband's care, so now if the snow would just leave for good I am ready to hit the garden.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Linda

Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #50
(female)

Hi Haydena,
When I got back from Florida last night I looked to see if you had posted, so I was glad to see you were safely home from vacation as well. It was good to see in your posts that you are doing so well. My hand performed beautifully-no pain even moving loaded boxes. I will continue with my exercises for a while longer, but it feels good to be back to normal. As expected, the left hand is really complaining from the extra work-especially all the exams that I had to correct on the flights down and back. I wish it weren't necessary to wait to July, but I will just have to be patient.

I am happy to say that my tomato plants grew to 4 inches under my husband's care, so now if the snow would just leave for good I am ready to hit the garden.

Linda

Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #51
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Haydena,

Linda
Hi Linda, welcome home to you.

We are both on different threads here advising & telling our story.

I was not on holiday, I wished you happy holidays for Easter & you wished me happy holidays for Passover!
You went to Florida, I stayed home! Lol.
However, I am due to go away on 14.April for a well deserved break!
I will have access to a computer & will try hard to keep posting here.

I understand exactly how you feel about your waiting for your next surgery in July. It's only 3 months Linda & I know you will be able to pass the time & prepare yourself well in advance. You are a ''toughie'' in that you cope with what ever comes your way. Like I do! I have full confidence in you.

Whilst I was waiting for my surgery on right hand, I rubbed traumeel into my thumb & wrist twice a day, wore a support glove when needed & tried hard not to over use my hand. You can do this as well.
Just remember to keep your hand raised whenever you are able to, as this does help.

My birthday is at the end of July, maybe you can send me one of your delicious home grown tomatoes?? wow 4 inches is brilliant. Congrats to your hubby on a job well done.

Anytime you feel the need to vent, I am here to listen.

Take good care & hang in there, the time will fly by for you.

Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #52
(female)

Hi Haydena,

Hadn't heard from you for a few days so I thought I would just say hello. I expect that right now you are so far along with your recovery that you are busy catching up with all the things you had to leave go to protect your hand.

Things are going well with me. I think that I have recovered almost all the strength I had before and will probably stop doing the strengthening exercises in a week or two. I am finding that they are all really easy now and I am able to do everything I did before without my hand tiring. Its really good to be back to normal.

Linda

Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Haydena,

Hadn't heard from you for a few days so I thought I would just say hello. I expect that right now you are so far along with your recovery that you are busy catching up with all the things you had to leave go to protect your hand.

Things are going well with me. I think that I have recovered almost all the strength I had before and will probably stop doing the strengthening exercises in a week or two. I am finding that they are all really easy now and I am able to do everything I did before without my hand tiring. Its really good to be back to normal.

Linda
Hi Linda,
Pardon this delay, I have been away.
I am pleased you have done so well in such a short time. Bravo to you.

I have regained full use of my left hand & of course I am very pleased I had the surgery (13 weeks ago)

I still have soft tissue swelling close to my scar on lower, outer thumb, which I am massaging as much as possible. I will be seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks.
My family doctor recommended a scar gel which I apply 3 times a day to help with the burning sensation.

I don't wear any kind of light bandage or guard at home but do wear a thin, loose, glove-like bandage,on my hand whilst I am away from home, as my scar is still rather sensitive. I feel more confident wearing that ''on my travels!"

All is well & I hope to hear the same from you. Have a great weekend & take good care.
Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #54
(female)

Hi Haydena,
I'm delighted to hear you are back and doing so well. That little burn from a cut nerve is really annoying, isn't it. My second partial knee replacement gave me that for a while. It actually felt better when I put my hand on it and applied a gentle pressure-almost as if I needed to tell that part of my knee that it wasn't injured by feeling it.

I am eagerly awaiting the end of the term-probably more than my students! My classes are full of terrific students, but they are getting the classic "Spring Fever" and it gets harder each day to keep them focused.

Less than a month and I will be on my way to Florida-correcting exams all the way there. Then Costa Rica and my surgery. I was in to the surgeon last week for a cortisone shot to settle down the tingling and numbness in my left hand. Its been that way since I had the surgery on the right. I had hoped it would stop when I was using the right again, but it didn't. My OS had instructed me to come in if it wasn't better so I did. The shot has stopped it for now, but I may have carpal tunnel surgery at the same time as the thumb if it starts to come back.

We are having cool days this week, but next week I will be planting my tomatoes and peppers at last. I will be putting in the herbs tomorrow since they can take the cold. I have to put cayenne pepper on all my tulips right now in the flowerbeds since the deer from the park next door see our yard as the all-you-can-eat buffet. My fig trees are leafing out and the apple trees are close to blossoming. Isn't Spring wonderful!

Have a great weekend

Linda

Reply Reply