It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Basal Joint surgery

Seeing that the'' basal joint surgery, at least my story by Janet'' has been closed
I am replying to Cassie's post # 132. I hope this works & I have not gone against the board's rules.

Hi Cassie,

Great to hear that you are post surgery & you are on the way to healing.
For the irritation & burning of the incision & thumb you need to rub some non-perfumed cream onto that area as the skin & incision is very dry.You need to moisturize that dry skin after your shower & whenever you feel the need. This is a sign of healing so dont worry about it. Its all about the skin on the incision coming together. You can also rest your hand on an ice pack for the burning.

Arnica is for swelling & pain. It can be found in a drug store that sells homeopathic remedies. Traumeel made by the German company called ''Heel'' is even better. It contains the highest amount of arnica available.

My surgeon never gave me an xray after my op & also didnt touch my hand.
He did look at it though. The less the healing hand is touched & moved the better.
If you would be in terrible pain, it would mean that something is wrong. You dont seem to be in such pain, so if I was you, I would'nt worry.
Be patient with yourself & give yourself time to heel. Always remember we all heal at our own pace.

Great that you found the correct medication to relieve the pain, you will notice as the days go by, you will need less pain meds.

Good to know that you are managing with your little son. Its amazing what we women are able to do when we have to!!

I wish you a happy new year & good progress with your healing.

Please let us know how you are progressing.

Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
Cassidy06 (01-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User
Re: Basal Joint surgery

One thing I found helpful post cast removal:
a friend of mine sells a product "Sensaria". I have never bought anything , but use the free samples she sends me. Anyway, there is a mineral salt scrub product that i put on my hand and arm after the cast was removed. It is great! I use it in the shower...i rub it on, then rinse it off with a wash cloth. I has helped my skin so much. it exfoliates all of the dead skin and even cuticles from my fingernails. I highly recommend any kind of salt scrub like this.
Thanks, Haydena! I have been using lotion after the salt scrub, but i still have surgical tape over my incision that , hopefully, will fall off soon. I have a few different hand lotions at home that i will try. How have you been feeling?
Happy New Year and take care! Appreciate all of your help!
-Cassie

Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi everyone!
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well Cassie-you are a week ahead of me in recovery and it is good to see what is coming up and learn from your experience and from Haydena's. I am due to have my cast on tomorrow, so I will have to bring something along so the next two weeks with a cast will be more comfortable. Haydena, thanks for starting a new thread so our discussion and support for each other stays alive.

Linda

The following user gives a hug of support to margarita889:
Cassidy06 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy06 View Post
One thing I found helpful post cast removal:
a friend of mine sells a product "Sensaria". I have never bought anything , but use the free samples she sends me. Anyway, there is a mineral salt scrub product that i put on my hand and arm after the cast was removed. It is great! I use it in the shower...i rub it on, then rinse it off with a wash cloth. I has helped my skin so much. it exfoliates all of the dead skin and even cuticles from my fingernails. I highly recommend any kind of salt scrub like this.
Thanks, Haydena! I have been using lotion after the salt scrub, but i still have surgical tape over my incision that , hopefully, will fall off soon. I have a few different hand lotions at home that i will try. How have you been feeling?
Happy New Year and take care! Appreciate all of your help!
-Cassie
Hi Cassie,

We have the Dead Sea minerals & salt here made in Israel & I know the mineral scrub is fantastic for the skin. Just dont rub it onto your scar when the surgical tape is removed !!

I am due to see my surgeon on Sunday which is a workday here. When my (right) hand hurts, I take 25 mg of voltaren. I try not to take more than this amount & definately not every day.

Happy New year to you too Cassie.
Take good care.

Haydena.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita889 View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well Cassie-you are a week ahead of me in recovery and it is good to see what is coming up and learn from your experience and from Haydena's. I am due to have my cast on tomorrow, so I will have to bring something along so the next two weeks with a cast will be more comfortable. Haydena, thanks for starting a new thread so our discussion and support for each other stays alive.

Linda
Good luck Linda for tomorrow when you have your cast put on.
I hope all goes well for you. Get someone to draw happy little pictures on your cast in bright colours !!

Haydena.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi everyone,

Good news from the OS, he said my thumb looks great and that the swelling was down much faster than normal-about a week ahead of schedule. So I am in my royal blue cast and two weeks away from a brace. When they did the x-rays and I moved my hand and also as the doctor put on the cast my thumb had absolutely no pain- so hurray!

He set my thumb way out, almost at an L, so although it is smaller than the dressing,I only have one coat to wear that fits over it and it is not warm enough. So tomorrow I will be out trying to find something cheap to wear for the next few weeks that I can cut open the sleeve and get my hand through.

We have had temperatures from 0 to 15 degrees F. at night and not much warmer during the day this week, and it will get worse as January continues. Who knows, maybe we will have another day off soon. My surgery date ended up being a snow day at school and we also get a day off when the temperature dips below -25F. Its too cold for the little ones to be out in the wind walking to school and the high schoolers that I teach (along with the faculty) would have a hard time getting their cars started after a day outdoors.

Brrrrr! Sleep warm!

Linda

Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Good news from the OS, he said my thumb looks great and that the swelling was down much faster than normal-about a week ahead of schedule. So I am in my royal blue cast and two weeks away from a brace. When they did the x-rays and I moved my hand and also as the doctor put on the cast my thumb had absolutely no pain- so hurray!

He set my thumb way out, almost at an L, so although it is smaller than the dressing,I only have one coat to wear that fits over it and it is not warm enough. So tomorrow I will be out trying to find something cheap to wear for the next few weeks that I can cut open the sleeve and get my hand through.

We have had temperatures from 0 to 15 degrees F. at night and not much warmer during the day this week, and it will get worse as January continues. Who knows, maybe we will have another day off soon. My surgery date ended up being a snow day at school and we also get a day off when the temperature dips below -25F. Its too cold for the little ones to be out in the wind walking to school and the high schoolers that I teach (along with the faculty) would have a hard time getting their cars started after a day outdoors.

Brrrrr! Sleep warm!

Linda
Hi Linda,

Wonderful to hear your very good news. You are one of the lucky ones to be healing so fast without pain.Maybe its because of the cold weather you are having now?? (joke)

The L-shaped thumb setting is the norm. My hand was also set like this.
Hope you will find a warm coat to wear whilst your hand is covered with the cast & then with the brace.

Dont forget to keep your arm elevated above your heart, even whilst you sleep.

I wish you continued happy healing.
Haydena.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Haydena,

I don't think it's the weather, but I'm being very good about icing and elevating-I bought one of those foam cubes that someone recommended in a thread here and it is a lifesaver. When I use it at night there is no chance that my arm will go down and start to swell in my sleep. I have had a lot of experience with surgery and I don't mess around with my recovery. I want this hand to be perfect.

I went out today with my husband and bought a coat with a larger sleeve today, so I'm going to be much more comfortable outdoors now. We have snow coming tomorrow, so I got it just in the nick of time.

Have a great weekend. I look forward to hearing from you after your appointment.

Linda

The following user gives a hug of support to margarita889:
Haydena (01-05-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Haydena,

I don't think it's the weather, but I'm being very good about icing and elevating-I bought one of those foam cubes that someone recommended in a thread here and it is a lifesaver. When I use it at night there is no chance that my arm will go down and start to swell in my sleep. I have had a lot of experience with surgery and I don't mess around with my recovery. I want this hand to be perfect.

I went out today with my husband and bought a coat with a larger sleeve today, so I'm going to be much more comfortable outdoors now. We have snow coming tomorrow, so I got it just in the nick of time.

Have a great weekend. I look forward to hearing from you after your appointment.

Linda
Hi Linda & all the ''thumb'' ladies here,

When my surgeon looked at the xray of my right hand this afternoon, he said, ''yes'' when he pressed the joint & it clicked, he said, ''yes''
My surgery date is for Monday 28th January providing I get all the results of the tests I need to have done. If not then it will be 4th February.

Linda your hand will be perfect because you are doing exactly what you are required to do.
Enjoy wearing your new large sleeved coat! I happened to have found a coat with large sleeves in my reserve cupboard yesterday which I will be able to wear when I have the micro-plastic splint on after the original bandage is removed from my hand. My surgeon does not use casts. I will tell you all about it as I go through it (again)

Happy healing to you Linda.

Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
(female)

Hi Haydena,

I'm glad you have you date set so soon. You have just enough time to get everything ready ahead, but not an excessive wait to sit around hurting. Here's hoping your tests come back on time.

I expect I will have my left hand done this summer. It is bone-on bone as well, but not as bad as the right until now. I am left handed, so doing it during the school year would be too difficult. I am really beating it up these last couple of weeks with the extra work it has to do. This week I am going to try to get an appointment with my rheumatologist for a cortisone shot to hopefully settle it down. It is really painful to hold a pen and term exams are on the 16th. I would like it doing better before I have to do all that correcting.

Good healing!

Linda

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Haydena,

I'm glad you have you date set so soon. You have just enough time to get everything ready ahead, but not an excessive wait to sit around hurting. Here's hoping your tests come back on time.

I expect I will have my left hand done this summer. It is bone-on bone as well, but not as bad as the right until now. I am left handed, so doing it during the school year would be too difficult. I am really beating it up these last couple of weeks with the extra work it has to do. This week I am going to try to get an appointment with my rheumatologist for a cortisone shot to hopefully settle it down. It is really painful to hold a pen and term exams are on the 16th. I would like it doing better before I have to do all that correcting.

Good healing!

Linda
Hi Linda,

I was thinking about you having to correct those term exams. Do you need to write an explanation why the answer is wrong? If you only need to tick
(correct with a pen mark) could'nt you buy one of those stampers. I dont know the exact name, but they are used by doctors & other professionals, to sign their names etc. All you do is press them down on the paper. This would save you holding a pen & writing whilst saving yourself from the pain you get.

I have never had a cortisone injection & I know their effect is not long-lasting.
My surgeon never offered me this shot. If he would have I would have declined.

No way am I sitting around!! I dont carry heavy stuff in my right hand but do almost everything with it.
I am using my right hand as much as I can so that I dont loose too much muscle at the bottom of the thumb. My oesteopath told me when there is muscle loss, the healing process takes much longer.

Keep warm & continue with your great progress.

Haydena.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
(female)

Hi Haydena,

Thanks for the suggestion' but I have to write more than that. And I'm afraid holding a stamp would be just as bad-my thumb hurts just holding a pen, not just when I write. I will be getting a cortisone shot on Friday morning before school. My rheumatologist put in an extra appointment before his regular hours to fit me in. This will the first shot in the left and I have generally had good luck with them, at least the first one. The first one in the right gave me a year of relief.

No, you don't sound like someone who ever sits still, just like me, I meant the annoying waiting in pain when you really want to have it over and done and start to heal.

I have a new task for tonight-filing down my cast. When the cast was put on it was with my hand up, but when my hand is down the thumb of the cast rubs on the healing scar from the cut. So I called and the nurse gave me an okay to do a little adjusting. What an exciting evening (not!).

Have a great tomorrow.

Linda

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User

Linda- Glad to hear you are healing so quickly! I hope the cortisone shot brings you long-time relief! I had about 10 days of relief (basal joint) when they gave me the shot. I had cortisone shot in my wrist last year and that is still working fine.
Haydena- Wish you well on your upcoming surgery! The 28th is when I (finally) see my ortho. will be thinking of you!

Last Saturday, I was able to put my wedding rings back on! I guess the swelling is completely gone Also, today I was able to put on earrings with both hands. I actually held an earring backing in my left hand using my thumb! As much as I try not to use my left hand for anything, i find it very difficult. If they didn't want me to use my hand at all, then they should have put me back in a cast. Even when I feel like I have overused my hand, I feel fine in the long run. Sometimes at night my hand will throb, but I really don't take anymore pain relievers. So far, I am satisfied with my progress. There are still some tasks that are frustrating...folding laundry, doing dishes, removing dinner from the oven, etc...but I really shouldn't complain. Still wearing the splint at all times except when I shower.

Take care ladies!!!
-Cassie

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
(female)

Cassidy06 HB User

I was just sitting here at the computer and I became a little chilly. I took my brace off so I could put on a fleece jacket. While my brace was off, I looked at my scar (still covered in surgical tape and purple ink). I ran my finger along the edges. I just realized why I still have a burning sensation in there: The pin they used to fuse my bones together is rubbing against my skin which is pressed and rubbing against the splint. Hmmmmm.
-Cassie

Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
(female)

Ouch!
Sounds as if its time for you to put in a call and get that looked at before the 28th. I would think that would hold back the healing a bit. Do you have something to pad that part of the brace with for right now?-some moleskin might work. I hope to hear they got you right in and got that brace adjusted for you very soon. With you making such great progress right now you don't want a delay. I go into a brace next week and start PT, so I will be looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Good healing!

Linda

Reply Reply