It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

sammi3 HB User
supplements for basal joint arthritis

Does anybody take supplements for basal joint arthritis? If so which ones?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User
Re: supplements for basal joint arthritis

Liquid gloucosomind. Liquid vit c & d

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
(male)

henry88 HB User

The general NSAIDS like aspirin, ibuprofen are good but for no side effects acetaminophen is usually prescribed for basal joint arthritis.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi3 View Post
Hi Sammi,

I take Gloucosamate & Chondoitin Extra== high strength twice a day. That comes in 1 tablet. I also take MSM which is organic sulphur, 1 tablet twice a day. This is for muscels, joints, tendons & ligaments.

Cider vinegar and honey mixed in warm water, I take 3 times a day. This soothes aching joints & muscles.

A low acid diet is important in helping to regulate arthritis. Low acid foods such as raw vergetables, low acid fruits, salads, srouts, bewers yeast & wheat germ all help.

I have had basal joint surgery in May 2011 on my left hand & I am due to have the same surgery on my right hand, 4, February.

It is best to have surgery on the basal joint as you have lost cartilage & there is no supplement available to replace the cartilage.

If you need further info, dont hesitate to ask me.

Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
dgarafa1 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
(female)

I'm a pianist. Do you think I will be able to play after? I'm afraid to have the surgery and my hands are bad

Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarafa1 View Post
I'm a pianist. Do you think I will be able to play after? I'm afraid to have the surgery and my hands are bad
dgarafal, I have no intentions of alarming you but if you dont have this surgery, your hands will get worse. There is nothing available( on the market to buy or to take) other than this surgery, to replace the cartilage you have lost.

If the surgery is correctly done & is successful & you follow the instructions of your physiotherapist, then yes, you will be able to play the piano afterwards.

I can understand your fears & I suggest you read up as much as you can (on the internet) about this operation. It has a very high success rate.

If & when you have your appointment with your surgeon, dont be afraid to ask him all the questions. In fact I suggest you make a note of your questions for him.

If you feel the need for 2 or 3 opinions, go for it. Remember you are the one to decide whether or not to go ahead with the surgery.

There are quite a few excellent threads about basal joint surgery on this forum which you should read.

Haydena.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
(female)

Yes, I've been on this site for months and started a thread that is very long. Most all I've read on this site speak of very bad results and I have not found any pianist posts here or on the Internet in over a year! Did you notice in the site most people speak of disastrous results or that they have just as much pain? Maybe I will go to a college music department. I'm sure concert artists and great musicians have had this condition

Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes, I've been on this site for months and started a thread that is very long. Most all I've read on this site speak of very bad results and I have not found any pianist posts here or on the Internet in over a year! Did you notice in the site most people speak of disastrous results or that they have just as much pain? Maybe I will go to a college music department. I'm sure concert artists and great musicians have had this condition
Sorry, I disagree with you. There are threads here which I have subscribed to & posted messages on, where many people have had great success with the basal joint surgery. It also depends on how the surgery is done. Either with the insertion of a pin or a tendon transplant. I believe the tendon transplant is more successful. It also greatly depends on the surgeon who does the surgery.
One should never get only one opinion, 2 or 3 are advisable.

Your fear is over clouding your judgement. You need to read up on medical journals about this operation, not only what patients have written on the internet. You should read what the medical profession says about basal joint surgery.

Its best to go to a big city to find a reliable orthopedic hand surgeon with an excellent reputation.

Your hands will not be capable of lifting a cup never mind playing the paino if you loose the cartilage. I have no intentions of frightening you here. I feel its time for you to know the truth & try to face it as best you can.

When concert artists & musicians have this condition, they take care of it, so they can continue in their line of work.

I wish you good luck.
Haydena.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
(female)

One more question, I have NO cartilage already, the bones are crushed into each other. Was your condition like that before surgery? Thanks,

Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
One more question, I have NO cartilage already, the bones are crushed into each other. Was your condition like that before surgery? Thanks,
Yes they were dgarafa & I was in terrible pain with my left hand.
I am now due for surgery on my right hand 4. February. I am in agony & I refuse to take any kind of cortisone shots as they dont help in the long run.
The only pain killer I take when my right hand hurts real bad is Tylenol & rest my hand as much as possible.

You can ask me any question that pops into your mind & I will try my best to answer you. If you decide to have the operation, I will be here for you as I have been for others, since I joined this site.

Haydena.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
(male)

henry88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi3 View Post
I do suffer from Arthritis but have not started taking any supplements as I have started visiting the doctor 1 week ago. I guess in near future they may recommend me. Are you taking any supplements.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry88 View Post
I do suffer from Arthritis but have not started taking any supplements as I have started visiting the doctor 1 week ago. I guess in near future they may recommend me. Are you taking any supplements.
Yes, I take Gloucosamine with Chondroitin, high strenth, & MSM, twice a day.
I also take Calcium with Vit D & magnesium citrate & a multi-vitamin daily.

Reply Reply