It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
(female)

bev725 HB User
Oa

I have OA in my feet and hands. I'm 45 years old. Unfortunately I am also allergic to aspirin, penicillin and sulfa, so I am very limited to what meds I can take. I have prescriptions for Tramadol and Percocet for pain, but even then, those don't work and I am in horrible pain. I have surgery twice on each foot, and that hasn't helped, along with special orthodicts for my shoes. I only wear high tops, due to the stress on my ankles....I need some suggestions to relieve the pain.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Oa

Dear Bev,

I wish it would be this easy. OA is a life long condition and affects most of us. Some people suffer more or less, but suffer.
One thing I know for sure that any ortho surgery leaves a lot of pain with it. I had my first knee surgery at 24 thinking I will be running and well after, but never happened.

I think all of us find our own way to release the pain. I will share with you what helps me. Hot water. When I am in a hot bath tub, I feel so good. I hardly feel any pain. It relaxes muscles around affected area, bringing blood circulation to the area which helps with inflammation.
Finding good and healthy shoes is crucial. Never flip-flops or shoes without support. They costly, but they will last you and also will help with pain. No price tag on it. Make sure they have shock absorbers, they must have great arch support and never heals. I mean never. You may feel better one day and wear them and will pay for the rest of the month if not more.
I also had orthotics made for me but I can wear them only in sneakers, nothing fits me right with them for some reason.

I can't give you advice about medication but want to ask if you ever had any injections done in your feet? Some people benefit from it; well it is a short live but who in real pain wouldn't use some time off it?
Also, inflammatory medication often help people although only your Dr can decide which one is for you.

And of course rest. As soon as you sit down, bring fit up. This can take stress from them and helps with some pain.

I wish I could give you better advice, but I hope this helps you a little.

Wishing you well
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear Bev,

I wish it would be this easy. OA is a life long condition and affects most of us. Some people suffer more or less, but suffer.
One thing I know for sure that any ortho surgery leaves a lot of pain with it. I had my first knee surgery at 24 thinking I will be running and well after, but never happened.

I think all of us find our own way to release the pain. I will share with you what helps me. Hot water. When I am in a hot bath tub, I feel so good. I hardly feel any pain. It relaxes muscles around affected area, bringing blood circulation to the area which helps with inflammation.
Finding good and healthy shoes is crucial. Never flip-flops or shoes without support. They costly, but they will last you and also will help with pain. No price tag on it. Make sure they have shock absorbers, they must have great arch support and never heals. I mean never. You may feel better one day and wear them and will pay for the rest of the month if not more.
I also had orthotics made for me but I can wear them only in sneakers, nothing fits me right with them for some reason.

I can't give you advice about medication but want to ask if you ever had any injections done in your feet? Some people benefit from it; well it is a short live but who in real pain wouldn't use some time off it?
Also, inflammatory medication often help people although only your Dr can decide which one is for you.

And of course rest. As soon as you sit down, bring fit up. This can take stress from them and helps with some pain.

I wish I could give you better advice, but I hope this helps you a little.

Wishing you well
Moldova

Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Sorry to hear you are in pain. If you cannot use medication, perhaps you will find some relief with food. Cherries have anti-inflammatory properties. 30 cherries/day is what is generally recommended. Drinking tart cherry juice has helped many as well.

I have found that 3 ginger capsules is as effective at reducing pain as a prescription level dose of motrin. Be sure to take it in divided doses with food since it can be irritating to the stomach. Some people use tumeric as well for the same purpose.

With the medications you are taking it is obvious that you are getting medical care but are you working with a rheumatologist or your regular GP? There are many medications that are not related to those that cause you problems that might be helpful, but they are not commonly prescribed by GPs. With the levels of pain you are having there could be other things going on like fibro that are affecting your pain levels as well. A rheumatologist is the one who can best manage those problems.

Good luck and good healing.

Margarita

Reply Reply