It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

sc21 HB User
Mystery joint/muscle problems?

Hi everyone!

So I need some help in trying to figure out what is going on and what I can do to fix it. Firstly I am 23 years old. I have been healthy my whole life and used to be very athletic 5 years ago. I now do not exercise regularly (on occasion) and live in Canada. I am not a fan of the sun and avoid it due to my fair skin burning very easily. My grandmother and mother have arthritis, but they are both 50+ and it developed with age. I occasionally smoke and drink.

Second week of Januaray 2013, myself including a bunch of my friends got sick with flu like symptoms. I was fairly sick for a little under a week. I had a mild fever and body aches, accompanied with night sweats, body chilld, headaches and a bronchitis like cough. I did not have any sore throat symptoms while my friends did. I had to take two extra strength tylenols every 4-6 hours. After a few days pass (about a week or less) I felt perfectly fine.

A week after it seemed to pass, I started feeling a weird pain in the front of my knees. I didn't pay much attention to it, until around the 22nd (a few days later) when it started being more consistent. The pain would occur when I was sitting with my knees bent and it would be more noticeable later on throughout the day (late afternoon-evening). As soon as I would get up or start moving, I was fine. The knee pain would be felt at the front of the knees. It eventually started alternating from one to the next and the muscles right above the knee cap (lower thighs) ache and hurt when they are squeezed. The pain has now diminished and occurs later on in the day, but very very mild. It is no longer a pain but more of a discomfort. However, my thighs still mildy ache when touched.

About a week ago I started to feel an ache in my left arm around tricep area. It feels like I have worked out the muscle very intensly and my upper arm/shoulder feels fatigued. It is only in the left arm. My upper back/shoulder area close to neck feels stiff as well randomly. I also feel fatigued in the mid afternoon but it passes and later reoccurs. I feel it through out most of the later part of the day but it is not disabling, more like after a work out.

I would also like to add a few side notes:
-all the pain and aches I have explained have not been and are not extreme. They have all been mild and I have been able to avoid taking any medication for it.
-the bronchitis cough has lessened but continues to be present at times(wet, flem cough)
-All my friends have recovered perfectly.
-the pain in my tricep only occurs with movement and goes away when it is resting or with ice. (there is a possibility that i may have injured it recently but I cannot remember when exactly it occurred in comparison to the fatigue/aching)
-when i wake up in the morning all the pain and stiffness is gone and I feel normal, it tends to kick in around early afternoon (1 pm approx)
-i have changed my diet and have removed coffee and sweets. Especially my after lunch espresso (which could possibly have an affect on the fatigue that sets in around this time)
-i have been taking vitamins and suppliments including: fish oil, vitamin d, vitamin c, daily womens vitamin and calcium. This had been for a while but not regularly, however due to fear I have started taking them religiously for the passed few weeks.
-my right knee seems to have passed almost completely, besides the lower thigh muscle aches
-all aches and pains have been located at the front of legs, none in the back.
-i went to my doctor and she did a CBC blood test. Everything came back normal except a positive ANA. She referred me to a rheumatologist. He checked me out and saw nothing out of the ordinary (physical examinations only). Took xrays just to be safe of my knees (this was before my arm hurt) and now still awaiting the results. Both think it is just due to the virus I had and it should pass. No further blood work, MRI etc were taken or considered necessary.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to give as much information as possible to see if anyone can help me out or has gone through the same things. What could this be?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
(male)

kmante HB User
Re: Mystery joint/muscle problems?

Hello ;
Your body (muscles) naturally produces lactic acid when you do strenuous excercise. Some people produce a lot more than is required and this results in cramps, and other pain related symptoms you are experiencing. You may research this at wikipedia.

Personally, I am now trying out all natural pain relief alternatives after experiencing some serious side effects from certain medications. It is an all natural pain relief cream formulated from the Dead Sea Minerals, Inula Viscosa, herbs and plants and has helped greatly.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

sc21 HB User

Hi, thanks for the response! The only thing is I haven't done any exercise, let alone strenuous exercise for a long period of time. Every now and then I would do some light work out, but I have not done so in months (as bad as that sounds). These symptoms have occurred at random.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc21 View Post
Hi, thanks for the response! The only thing is I haven't done any exercise, let alone strenuous exercise for a long period of time. Every now and then I would do some light work out, but I have not done so in months (as bad as that sounds). These symptoms have occurred at random.
Muscle cramp is most commonly experienced by everyone sometime in their life. It is caused when the muscle doesnít relax. This can be avoided by gentle stretching exercises that will help for the better flexibility of the muscles but as you say you havenít been into any kinda exercise. I think itís time for you to start and practice the activities.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would wonder if a test was done for mono, as it sometimes causes muscle and joint pains along with fatigue and cold symptoms. Sometimes there are clues on the CBC (reactive or atypical lymphocytes). Since your symptoms seem to be getting better, I would give it more time, but if this persists another month, I would followup with the rheum, who can repeat the ANA and look at additional tests if still positive. If any of your friends had strept, I would ask to have an ASO titer on blood and a throat culture just to be safe, as people do still get rheumatic fever and you can have strept without a sore throat.

Reply Reply

Tags
fatigue, flu, joint, muscle, pain