It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

anngronowski HB User
Basal thumb joint pain

Hello..new here..just need advice on thumb joint pain. I am headed to the hand surgeon tomorrow to see what he can do about my thumb joint pain. I am considering the anchovy replacement. Has anyone had this done? What were the results?

Thanks..

Ann

Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User
Re: Basal thumb joint pain

I think that if you check you will find that this method-remove the trapezium and divide a tendon and use it rolled up as a spacer between the bones is the most common surgery for basal thumb arthritis and very successful. There are several variants of this surgery, all with excellent outcomes. I am almost through recovery from that surgery and it was the easiest surgery I have had. If you check Hadena's thread you can find out more about it.

Depending on how bad your thumb is, you may be able to get away with just a cortisone shot to calm things down for several months to a year, with bracing, or with other surgeries that re-align the joint.

Good luck on your appointment and let us all know how it goes.

Margarita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

I think that if you check you will find that this method-remove the trapezium and divide a tendon and use it rolled up as a spacer between the bones is the most common surgery for basal thumb arthritis and very successful. There are several variants of this surgery, all with excellent outcomes. I am almost through recovery from that surgery and it was the easiest surgery I have had. If you check Hadena's thread you can find out more about it.

Depending on how bad your thumb is, you may be able to get away with just a cortisone shot to calm things down for several months to a year, with bracing, or with other surgeries that re-align the joint.

Margarita

Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
(female)

anngronowski HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita889 View Post

Margarita

Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
(female)

anngronowski HB User

Thanks for the information. I have gone through OT, bracing and do not think I want cortisone shots, but willing to try. I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I was worried I would be out of commission three months.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
(female)

Some things took a little longer to do, but after the first week I had no problem doing anything except cutting my meat and lifting heavy pots. I bought stretch laces for my shoes and a jacket with wider sleeves(mine had storm sleeves), but that was it. My cast went on at two weeks and that was when I started driving again.

Yesterday I saw the surgeon and I was released early. I am doing so well I don't need a 12 week appointment. I also set a surgery date of July 11th for my left hand. I am left-handed, so I had to do it during the summer because it would have been difficult to keep up with my correcting during th school year if I couldn't hold a pen easily. I had no problem typing using both hands a few days after surgery. I just switched to using my mouse left-handed.

I hope your surgery goes just as smoothly as mine has.

Margarita

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

anngronowski HB User
Smile Re: Basal thumb joint pain

Thank you so much..right now my surgery is set for March 25th. I am looking forward to being able to use my hand without pain again. Hopefully I will be able to work in my garden this summer..please keep me posted on your progress..

Reply Reply