It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

krys51486 HB User
possible RA... need some help

hi everyone. my name is krystal and im 26 and a recent trip to the ER showed all the signs and symptoms of RA. unfortunately the ER doctor did not want to diagnose me and referred me to go see a rheumatologist. I dont have insurance and im a single mother and really just at a loss for what to do at this point. I make too much to get medicaid and dont make enough to afford insurance....i really just dont know what to do. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I have my symptoms under control at the moment but im afraid its going to get out of control again and i would just like to figure out a way to get properly diganosed and proper treatment. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
Re: possible RA... need some help

Most hospitals have an assistance policy for people without insurance. Contact the billing department of the ones near you and ask. My mother who is unable to work due to a car accident, and who won't file for disability because when she came to the US it was the policy, has a kidney disease. SHe has been able to have all of her treatment through the local hospital for $20 copay each time.

Now that she has a firm diagnosis, we are working on getting her medicaid.

I hope this helps you.

T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

nadine11 HB User

Hi Krys,
Okay I know it's shocking and if things get under control you just press forward with life. I ignored my pains in my 20's and all the way through most of my 30s I thought I was just "aging" right? Uh yeah what I've learned is while your condition may be under control it is important to begin treatment early to salvage your joints. I'm 39 and recently was overcome with the disease. I wish I would've started sooner! I think most hospitals and often times even dr's offices will work out a payment plan with you. If you have a primary care provider at a quick clinic see if they can't at least get the blood work started for you. Best of Luck to you!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
(female)

Debra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB User

Hi, I agree with msnova74. I don't have insurance either and have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have applied for and received assistance thru the hospital that my doctors are associated with. I know this may be a little foolish to say but try not to NOT having insurance get in the way of taking care of yourself. If you don't take care of it now, you'll definitely have to do it later. Good luck!

Reply Reply