It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

nmbmama HB User
Red face Why is the thumb pain so bad

I can't figure out why my thumb arthritis has flare-up so badly over the last couple of days! Has anyone ever had this happen?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

Greengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB User
Re: Why is the thumb pain so bad

Yes I have, and for me the terrible pain is pretty much a constant for me now, although it did start with just bad flare ups. And the worst pain is for me is this stabbing pain right where the thumb meet the wrist. My hand ortho doc is now recommending basal joint arthroplasty with LRTI. I didn't think at 36 I'd be facing arthritis surgery, but I am.

I am not a doctor, but my guess is your's has gotten worse because arthritis is degenerative disease. It doesn't get better with time or if you try and ignore it. And it has been my experience that conservative treatment works, but only temporarily. I just buys you time. Not everyone has surgery, and surgery is not always the right decision for everyone. I know I am only doing it because I'm in so much pain that is only getting worse and worse. It was a quality of life decision for me.

Anyway, I am sorry for your pain. I can relate. My best advice is talk to your doctor. Only he/she can tell you why your's is so bad and what you can do about it.

Last edited by Greengal04; 03-14-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Fix some typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
(male)

d j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB User
Re: Why is the thumb pain so bad

That's how my Basal Joint pain would behave. I called it pain levels. Just when I thought I could deal with a certain level of pain it would progress worse. Mine got to the point where I pushed with my thumb and index finger on something and I felt a pop/snap followed by sharp pain that put me on my knees. That's when I knew it was time for surgery.
A good thumb isolating brace will help allot. They can be found at any drug store. Rest it up. Hope ya feel better.

Reply Reply

Tags
thumb pain