It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

mschloe HB User
4 more days until CMC Arthroplasty!

I have been waiting for my surgery for almost 8 weeks! Each week my axiety grows stronger, but I am very anxious to get this thing going.

I am SOOOO not looking forward to this, but know it is what I need to help me in the long run.

I had 2 tendonitis release surgeries on this hand, so I know that I can get through this. I just dread being in a cast for 6 weeks. That seems like a lifetime.

Luckily my hubby will help around the house, but he is not a neat freak like me so I guess I will be living in filth for a while. My toughest feat will be handling things around the house when he returns to work. He works a 24 hour shift. It will be interesting taking care of my 5 year old and 2 dogs (that need to be leashed to go outside to potty).

Anyone else having their surgery this week or next and want to hang with me?

I have been reading all of the threads and have found TONS of useful information.

Wish me luck! I will post after the surgery to let you know how it goes.

YIKES! 4 more days....

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

mschloe HB User
Re: 4 more days until CMC Arthroplasty!

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. Having a bit of an anxiety attack tonight! I am just DREADING this. Someone PLEASE calm me down!

Logically I know that I will be fine. But it is so hard to just accept that pain and frustration are coming...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

Greengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB User

Well I can't calm you down but I can relate. My surgery is not until next month but I made the mistake of watching the surgery online and had a mini panic attack myself. That is my advice to you, avoid watching before your surgery. You and I have much in common, both in our 30s, both have had prior hand surgeries, and both are scared as all get out about this one.

However, I am jealous of you because in just a few days you will be done with it and on the road to recovery. I still have to wait a while and be anxious a while longer about it! Just a few more days and you can put our energy on healing, not me

Last edited by Greengal04; 03-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

mschloe HB User

Tomorrow is the big day! I will let you know how it compares to my other surgery!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschloe View Post
Tomorrow is the big day! I will let you know how it compares to my other surgery!
Hi mschloe,

Good luck from me to you. I've had both hands done, left in May 2012, right
4. February 2013. I am around to tell my story!

Ice,ice & more ice-packs, elevate your arm so it's above your heart when you sleep. Take your pain meds as you are told to & try to be as calm as you can.
Being up-tight only worsens your healing process.
Close your eyes to any mess & try to cope as best you can. The first week is the hardest,pain-wise & as you know ''everything passes in time''

All the very best to you.
Haydena.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

mschloe HB User

Well, i survived. Had the surgery yesterday. The process for this one was no different than my two tendon release surgeries. However, as i suspected,the pain is quite different. Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a rough time last night and didnnt sleep much. The pain pills are helping a bit, but im still really uncomfortable they also make me itch like a junkie so i called my doc to haveit switched. I was on percoset, and am now taking hydrocodone. Logically i know that things will get better with time. I just thank god that m hubby is home to help me. I have been icing LOTS, which also seems to help a bit too. I go back to work on April 1st. I sure hope I will be ready by then. Greengal, I will keep you posted on how i feeling. Haydena, i have read all of your posts, and they give me hope. Its really nice to have support here and to know im not alone.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Well, i survived. Had the surgery yesterday. The process for this one was no different than my two tendon release surgeries. However, as i suspected,the pain is quite different. Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a rough time last night and didnnt sleep much. The pain pills are helping a bit, but im still really uncomfortable they also make me itch like a junkie so i called my doc to haveit switched. I was on percoset, and am now taking hydrocodone. Logically i know that things will get better with time. I just thank god that m hubby is home to help me. I have been icing LOTS, which also seems to help a bit too. I go back to work on April 1st. I sure hope I will be ready by then. Greengal, I will keep you posted on how i feeling. Haydena, i have read all of your posts, and they give me hope. Its really nice to have support here and to know im not alone.
Glad you made it through the first day! I was interested to near from you since you and I have much in common regarding this surgery. I'm still waiting to have my surgery authorized....and the longer I wait the more anxious I get. When you're feeling better let me know more about how it went, what it was like. Until then, happy healing at least the hard part is over with for you now

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Hi mschloe,

well done, bravo & congrats to you. the first week is the worst, pain-wise.
keep your arm elevated as much as you can. drink lots of water to flush the toxins out of your body & eat good nourishing food.
If your skin is itching you because of the meds, I suggest you apply body lotion
after your shower. I had/ have the same problem in that my skin is sensitive.
Rest as much as you can & take full advantage of having your hubby home to help you. If you can keep your arm in a sling when you return to your work,
you should, to protect it, elevate it & have it above your heart.
For swelling & pain, there is a homeopathic ointment you can order online called ''Traumeel'' I swear by this stuff & am still applying it to my thumb, hand & wrist.
My splint was removed from my right hand, yesterday. Pure joy, relief & freedom! I had my 1st physio last evening, 2nd will be today & so I will continue for some time.
My surgery was a success & I am pain free. I still need to sleep with the splint on for another week, at home during the day, it can be free. When I am away from my home I was told to wear a protective canvas guard, which I am on my way to purchase soon. I am very pleased I had this surgery on both my hands & my surgeon told me again last evening that ''it is for life.''

mchsloe, I wish you comfortable healing, take good care of yourself & please let us know how your are feeling & coping. Always remember, we heal at our own pace. Try not to be anxious, you will recover.
Hang in there!
Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

mschloe HB User

Thanks for the ecouragement Haydena!

2 days post-op here. Feeling a smidge better. That means I'm going in the right direction!

I am an icing queen! I have to remind myself to continue to take it easy. I have problems with doing too much too doon so i am forcing mysrlf to be a vouch poratoe. I got lots of rest last night and dont have to double up on the pain meds today. My arm is constantly propped up next to me to stay elevated. My fingers are quite swollen and mostly numb.

I will definitely buy the Traumeel. Haydena, have you ever taken the pills, or did you just use the ointment? Do i need to wait until the cast is off to use the traumeel?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks for the ecouragement Haydena!

2 days post-op here. Feeling a smidge better. That means I'm going in the right direction!

I am an icing queen! I have to remind myself to continue to take it easy. I have problems with doing too much too doon so i am forcing mysrlf to be a vouch poratoe. I got lots of rest last night and dont have to double up on the pain meds today. My arm is constantly propped up next to me to stay elevated. My fingers are quite swollen and mostly numb.

I will definitely buy the Traumeel. Haydena, have you ever taken the pills, or did you just use the ointment? Do i need to wait until the cast is off to use the traumeel?
mschloe, wonderful to hear how very well you are taking care of yourself & progressing. Excellent work.

If you are able to reach your thumbs, massage them now with any good hand cream/body lotion. Try using a non-perfumed one ( if you don't have, don't worry, as long as the perfumed cream or lotion does not touch your scar.)

You can use Traumeel now, cream, pills & liquid drops, if they are obtainable where you are. The ointment can be used anytime, as often as you wish. The pills should be taken orally as instructed 15 minutes before or after food & other meds. Seeing that Tarumeel is homeopathic, it is harmless.
You don't want to be taking the pills at the same time as you take your other meds because they will interact with eachother.

The trick is to keep your skin well hydrated. It will feel better & you will not have that itchy feeling. Remember to drink plenty of water, less soda & caffeine drinks. Elevate arm.

The numbness will slowly fade.

Being a couch potatoe for the next few days is OK. Try hard not to tense the muscles in your neck, arm & back. You need to give your body & mind a break
as you have had surgery! Be good to yourself now & you will reap the benefits later.
From what you describe, you are going in the right direction & I am very pleased for you mschloe. Keep up the good work.

I had my 2nd physio session this afternoon which was slightly more intense than yesterday evening. Fantastic to have my entire hand massaged (not on the scar) with Traumeel. My fingers were rubbed, though my thumb still has to remain straight out & I am not yet allowed to move it inwards towards my palm. Slowly slowly! After the hand/wrist massage, rubbing & bending, I placed my hand in a large bowel of hot water & rotated my wrist, moved fingers & had a wonderful feeling of ''swimming'' You will also get to that stage in your recovery, just be patient!

Take good care. Let us know how you are progressing.
Haydena.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
mschloe (03-22-2013), pcb123 (05-16-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
(female)

margarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB Usermargarita889 HB User

Hi Mschloe,

Hope that by today your swelling is starting to go down and the pain is way down. I found that when I was up and around doing things in the house that it was helpful to keep my hand up against my shoulder as much as possible rather than use a sling. That way it was higher than a sling could get it. I also found that using a bag of real ice under my hand and an ice back above was best because the cubes lasted longer. I didn't use cubes above because they were a little heavy and uncomfortable.

Good healing!

Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to margarita889 For This Useful Post:
mschloe (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
(female)

mschloe HB User

Hey everyone! Day 3 post-op here. I am seeing a HUGE difference in pain today. I am still taking pain pills, but they actually take almost all of the pain away now. I am going much longer between doses. My swelling is definitely starting to go down and i am moving and massaging my fingers a bunch. I hate the sling because my arm just throbs in it. Its much easier to hold it high on my own. I have even started doing things around the house! Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I am so suprised how good i feel today!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
(male)

d j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB Userd j HB User

Every day gets a little better.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
(female)

Well, I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I am a tad jealous of you lol. You're done with the hard part now and on the road to healing, now you get focus your energies on getting better and knowing the pain you're in now will improve and you are going to be better. It must feel good to know that.

As for me, I don't know when my surgery will be. I'm still waiting on authorization from Qualis before I can even schedule it. And the waiting game has been terrible long and frustrating. I hate having my medical fate in someone else's hands, someone else who could really care less what happens to me or how I'm feeling. Meanwhile my hand is still throbbing and cracking, and I don't yet know if I'll even be allowed to get the surgery to fix it.

It's funny how I spent a good month agonizing over whether I wanted the surgery, and then when I finally decided I couldn't wait, after all that fear over it lol. I look forward to the day I can focus my energies on healing too, I hope that day comes soon.

I'm happy for your Mschloe

Last edited by Greengal04; 03-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hey everyone! Day 3 post-op here. I am seeing a HUGE difference in pain today. I am still taking pain pills, but they actually take almost all of the pain away now. I am going much longer between doses. My swelling is definitely starting to go down and i am moving and massaging my fingers a bunch. I hate the sling because my arm just throbs in it. Its much easier to hold it high on my own. I have even started doing things around the house! Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I am so suprised how good i feel today!
mschloe, hi,

If your arm throbs in the sling, take it out. Hold it straight up, high, for a bit, then slowly bring it down & stop midway. Bend your elbow & hold your arm gently across your chest with your hand pointing towards your other shoulder.
On no account should you press your arm against/across your chest as your arm muscles will hurt badly after a while & well after your healing is done.

The muscles in your hand, forearm & upper arm, your shoulder muscles & your neck muscles, should be as relaxed as possible. I am speaking from my own experience.

Go by what you feel, if it hurts, stop. These are my own rules & they have helped me loads. The less tense we are & our bodies are, the better & faster we heal.

I am so pleased you are progressing & feeling so good. There you go girl!
Keep up the fantastic work & I wish you well.

Haydena.

Closed Thread