It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
(male)

The Mayor HB User
Doctor diagnosis of Reactive Arthritis?

Hello all;
I am trying to help my younger brother of 53 yrs. old who has several health problems throughout his life including Crohn's and now horrible pain in both his feet and hands. He has been on Humira shots (every other week) for awhile which has helped keep the Crohn's in check. He has no health insurance by his own doing and I was encouraging him to get some bloodwork done so the doctor's can start somewhere. His GP doctor told him that he thought he has "reactive arthritis" which can be caused by an infection of some kind. This also may be considered an "auto-imune" disorder although I am not a doctor.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to help him like what type of blood-work to have done and maybe some kind of natural supplement or treatment for the pain in his feet and hands? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you and may God bless you today!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Doctor diagnosis of Reactive Arthritis?

Crohn's disease can be accompanied by an inflammatory arthritis. It is part of the autoimmune process, just like his Crohn's, but affecting the joints. He would be best seeing a rheumatologist, who can do a number of blood tests to try to rule out other types of arthritis or pin this down more specifically. Reactive arthritis is not very common and typically doesn't affect just the hands and feet. Xrays may be just as helpful in ruling out/in rheumatoid arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

Greengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB User

I have Crohn's disease also, and have suffered from arthritis as a result. I'm only 36 but the arthritis in my right hand is so bad I'm getting basal joint arthroplasty surgery next week.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Thank you ladies for your responses.

Reply Reply