It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
(male)

bigmax HB User
Ankle replacement tar

Any body out there with any advise on total ankle replacment, Ortho says its my only option,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

trudove HB User
Re: Ankle replacement tar

What TAR does he use and how many has he done? I would get a second and third opinion. Make sure you get a Dr that has done several, not under 100 for sure.

I had a lot of complications and have had 5 surgeries since my replacement. I had the STAR on 8/24/11, then a debridgement on 11/23/11, still had pain and swelling so they did a revision and put a smaller lower component in on 5/24/12. Then I had pain around my heal and they said my sub talar joint was collapsing so I had to get that fused. I still couldn't walk right and the lower component was tilted way back. I finally went to Chicago on 4/2/13 and they took out the STAR and put the InBone II ankle in and did a calcaneal osteotomy on my heal. The Dr I was referred to in Chicago is one of the top 23 ankle surgeons in the US, but with so much scar tissue from the same incision being cut open 4 times, I am still having trouble with my down motion, but it has only been 8 weeks.
Trudove

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
(male)

Marcus092 HB User

Ankle replacement surgery is difficult. It will take months to recover, you need to be patient about the surgery.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

Juliedee HB User

I had TAR in July using the STAR components. Am now looking at a fusion because I am having pain with any weight bearing I do. The pain is posterior and medial as well as lateral. I am now in a cast for a month just to rest the ankle. Guess what, finally N O pain. Guess I could keep the cast on forever.

Last edited by Juliedee; 02-11-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle, replacement, surgery