It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User
Question Is this arthritis?

For the past few months have been having pains in my hands - I don't wake up with stiffness or soreness -- the pain is sporadic twinges that hit the base of my thumbs at the wrist - or a finger joint - sometimes the joint at the base of other fingers. On my left hand its always the same spot. Movement does not effect it or cause it. It's just quick painful twinges that come out of the blue - but now with more frequency.

Hubby says it's just me getting old and probably arthritis- but if I can know what it is maybe I can treat it properly. Thanks

Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

Greengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB UserGreengal04 HB User
Re: Is this arthritis?

The only way to know for sure is to see an ortho doc and have it examined. But, from what you described it sounds like it could be arthritis.

I am only 37 and a few years ago started having pain just like you described in my hands too. It just kept getting worse, and given my age I was rather surprised when the ortho doc told me I had basal joint arthritis. But from what I have learned it can strike at any age. And back in April of this year, I had joint reconstruction surgery to fix it because the pain was beginning to debilitate me and my surgeon said if I waited to long to fix it even surgery might not help. So I did it, and while the recovery has been long, I don't regret it because the pain is vastly improved now. And I may one day do it again for the other hand.

Anyway, go get it checked. If it is arthritis it's not going to get better on it's own as arthritis is a degenerative disease. And like you said, if you know what it is you can get the proper treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
(female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User
Re: Is this arthritis?

He everyone, I used to complain about my surgery on April 30th. Well, now it's 4 months later and I am totally back to normal!!! I am back playing organ and piano, hammering, everything I used to do pain free, even pain free from surgery, never mind the arthritis pain. I did do my exercises more often than my instructions and played with the therapeutic putty lots. I am so happy now. However, the pain being so excruciating in the beginning, I am waiting on the left hand. My pain there has stopped for now. My Dr. said not to do surgery, only if pain. It is deforming though which concerns me for playing. I will talk to him about that at next visit a few months down the road. I am hoping this will help others considering surgery, or in the first few weeks of surgery!!!!

Reply Reply