It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #1

Bapsley HB User
Mix & Match w/Asperger's unusual eccentricities, insecurities, etc. in adult

Okay, I know this is going to sound weird. If I told you a few symptoms, if you knew autism you might think very low grade autism/Asperger's:
Highly focused on things once he gets started; Tendency to drift into sitcom/comic strip worlds for comfort (Asperger's is sometimes marked by being overly focused on fictional worlds b/c the person feels comfortaable with them, knows how they'll act); Talks with stuffed animals in his early 30s; when little would do things like "wipe germs off" his lip by touching it when he would drink pop from a caan, and other little things; would read the same books over and over; and, anxiety over what others think about him/over concern with how others might perceive him.

But, this friend is sort of mix and match. Because, he was rather insecure b/c of his physical handicaps at school, and spent the first couple years at recess often talking with his stuffed dog "imaginary friends," used made up words, etc.. But, he was not only okay and completely normal (off the charts intelligence-wise in faact), but also, a couple close friends helped him become much more secure about himself by age 9 or 10.

And yet, despite the fact he continues to be very good at making friends, he still taalks to his stuffed animaals from time to time in his 30s. He is very bright and functions well in society, in faact he's a professional. They seem to be a way for him to handle stress. It's the same with his love of fiction.

So, while it's not anything on the autistic spectrum, becuase of his ability to make friends and empathize easily, it seems like there's something funny, because he tends to see fictional chracters as his friends; at least the stuffed animaals. He jokes to them "am I you or are you me" and stuff like that, so he knows they're not reaal. He prefers real human friends over them. And yet, in his mind, they're real ands till a source of comfort. He does not sleep with them anymore, but when incredibly stressed he does.

So, what is this? Insecurity, a developmental "delay" thaat just wound up turning into something he'll always do, or what?

He's a great friend, and as I said, he functions well, but he still has 120 or so of his formerly 150+ stuffed animals, keeping the ones that weren't reaally cheaaply made. (He collected them into his early teens, his goal was 100 by age 10 & he'd always ask for one for Christmas, birthdays, etc.; he was very easy to buy for :-) So, I'm just curious, if this is a delay or what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Mix & Match w/Asperger's unusual eccentricities, insecurities, etc. in adult

5 psychs would likely give him 5 different diagnoses and meds
as long as he seems to be coping OK I wouldnt interfere
theres a big overlap between the effects of aspergers and anxiety

Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

Tess2202 HB User
Re: Mix & Match w/Asperger's unusual eccentricities, insecurities, etc. in adult

I am trying to understand if my husband is a high functioning autistic.
Where is there any info on adult autistics?

Last edited by Tess2202; 02-24-2005 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread