It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #1

Kanel HB User
Question Asperger syndrome and love-life?

I have Asperger syndrome, and I don't really feel any need for a girlfriend. Could this be because I have AS and is a little different than my friends?
I know the few friends I have, talks about girls a lot, but I'm really not interested in that.

So I just wondered what views people have on this case. Could it be because I have Asperger syndrome?
(PS: My testosterone-levels is okay.)

Old 11-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Re: Asperger syndrome and love-life?

I don't know what to day. I'm afraid that this is going to happen to my son. He is now 4 1/2 and dx with High Functioning Autism/Asperger's Syndrome.

I do know that there are tons of books on this. Maybe if you read on it, it would help. Maybe if you met someone that understood you or maybe had Asperger's also, it could help bridge the gap and start something. I don't know you age, but it is very hard to meet anyone, no matter what or if you have a problem.

I do know that there is going to be a movie comming out soon about the two Aspies that fell in love and got married. It is due out early this winter. Maybe that could give you some insight.

Don't give up hope yet. I think you just haven't found the right one for you yet. She is out there ane will love you for how special you truly are and how much you can enrich her life!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Depends on how old you are.

Some are happy without a partner, others are not, and others again are "late starters" who don't get interested in relationships until well into their twenties, thirties or fourties.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

archie9uk HB User

My partner has Asperger's, so there are girls out there who aren't put off by it.

If you're not really interested now, that doesn't mean you won't be in the future. One thing I would say (for the future) is that Asperger's seems to affect your ability to tell if you're coming on too strong on the one hand, or on the other hand giving no indication that you're interested at all. I knew my partner for about 9 months before we got together, so this is something I've learned when talking to him about the past. Sometimes he would think he'd completely embarrassed himself by what he'd said or done, but I hadn't even noticed, or he would think it was okay to follow me around all the time. (He would dispute the fact that he did this!) So it might be wise to be a bit careful, and maybe look to your friends for guidance.

Anyway, I don't really notice my partner's Asperger's most of the time. Everyone has their oddities - you'll be set if you can find someone to not only accept yours, but learn to love them as part of you.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #5

Kanel HB User

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead23
Depends on how old you are.

Some are happy without a partner, others are not, and others again are "late starters" who don't get interested in relationships until well into their twenties, thirties or fourties.
I'm in my twenties.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

Asperger family HB User

You probably have more important things to worry about. My husband has aspergers as well and he was never into girls.Girls dont hunt(most) they dont ride motorcycles, or hang out with the guys( i do) He seems to have a high sex drive, but he isnt an emotional kind of person like I am and doesnt cling to women. He would rather hang out with the guys who have the same interest.This didnt sit too well with me for a long time, until after I had children and they were both boys, so now Im surrounded again by boys( i was all growing up as well) so I try to do things that the boys and my husband do like camping, fishing and all the good things outdoorsmen do.And in return I can do what I want with my family and friends.If I had any advice I thought could do you some good is dont go looking for love. It'll find you, someone like you who you can relate to and have a future with. If you try to find someone because all your friends are married or taken, than you could possibly set yourself up for a divorce later on. Good Luck

Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #7

Kanel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asperger family
You probably have more important things to worry about. My husband has aspergers as well and he was never into girls.Girls dont hunt(most) they dont ride motorcycles, or hang out with the guys( i do) He seems to have a high sex drive, but he isnt an emotional kind of person like I am and doesnt cling to women. He would rather hang out with the guys who have the same interest.This didnt sit too well with me for a long time, until after I had children and they were both boys, so now Im surrounded again by boys( i was all growing up as well) so I try to do things that the boys and my husband do like camping, fishing and all the good things outdoorsmen do.And in return I can do what I want with my family and friends.If I had any advice I thought could do you some good is dont go looking for love. It'll find you, someone like you who you can relate to and have a future with. If you try to find someone because all your friends are married or taken, than you could possibly set yourself up for a divorce later on. Good Luck
Great advice here. I think I will calm down a little about the girl thing. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
(male)

KunkMagic HB User

I have Aspergers Syndrome and have had a girlfriend for almost six years now. It is not impossible to find a girlfriend. A long lasting relationship can also be good to have.

My girlfriend also has Aspergers Syndrome as well as ADHD and we are very close. It is amazing how many of my friends have Aspergers or another form of autism and for some it is just a minor inconvience in daily life, for others they need assistance throughout their lives. It doesn't mean they can't live a full life, it just means it is a little more difficult to do so.

I also belong to two groups where I am a advocate for the disabled and people with autism. I advocate on many levels with these groups and we do a lot to talk to legislators and help pass bills that will protect and help the disabled. I get this privlege for a mere $10.00 a year. It is a two great groups and I hope to become a welcome member of your group.

Best Regards,

KunkMagic

Closed Thread