It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
5 year old grandson may have aspergers questions please.

My grandson is 5 years old. He has been preliminarily screened by a local education provider and was rated at risk on most all of the sections of functions and was rated failure to meet minimum on language and motorskills. I did not see the paperwork because my son told me the results, but this is the behavior I have seen. He points out objects and asks minimal questions. He became enraged the other day at his daycare when he was not allowed to go outside because he did not have on a jacket. I was told he bit another kid there. He seems very intelligent and the little time that I spent with him, he seemed to respond to my instructions if I lowered my voice. If I raised my voice, he appeared to shut down. He appears to me to be functioning somewhere between 18 months and 2 years of age, emotionally and with communication, impulse control seems to almost not be there, but yet he is basically toilet trained except when he gets into a new situation. It seems to help to tell him a head of time what will happen next, and then next. The other day he was outside with his grandfather and picked some wild sunflowers and brought them and gave them to me. Of course I made a big deal out of it, and he smiled and then turned his attention away to something else. It was like our moment was over. Can anyone enlighten me as to what questions to ask. My son will be raising this child and his two siblings. His sister appears shy but average for her age. His brother has ADHD and is being treated by medication. As far as I can tell is doing well. I don't see them on a constant daily basis, but have just started being able to have more contact with them since my son moved near me. The other thing I noticed is that my grandson seems to crave certain foods to the exclusion of others, and seems to have physical reactions getting wound up when eating certain foods, but again I have not been around him enough to know which foods are bad except the other day when we went to McDonalds and he had a cheeseburger and fries. He went from a sweet cooperate quiet kid to a raging angry child in about 8 minutes from his last bite. It was definitely a Jekyl - Hyde change. Can some one comment here since I have gone through all the posts and don't exactly see, consistent symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Re: 5 year old grandson may have aspergers questions please.

Thank you for your reply. He is actually being evaluated today by a private psychiatrist to try to make our way through the system. We have run out of daycares that will take him, and the waiting list through the school system for evaluation and placement is 3 months long. My son will lose his job if he stays home with him much longer, I have to work because my husband is retired. My son is trying to get state help but the proceedure on that of course goes back to having to prove that he is in need of services, proof of income, proof of residency,( he is living with his brother in one county and driving to another to work) two hours one way. The wait is miserably long and my son's wife deserted the family when my grandson became too much to handle by her self. This is another story that belongs in another section I suppose, but of course contributes to the difficulty of finding help in this particular state. Believe me, social services are not consistently helpful throughout the 50 contiguous states and if you are trying to make a living for your family, you are last on the list to get help. If you quit and stay home then you have time to come up with lies and paperwork.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #3

rids HB User

The GFCF diet shoudl help tremendously. Eliminating artificials, dyes, preservatives and corn syrup also will help.

I would enlist the help of a good DAN doctor, and a great neurologist.
C-GA

Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

My grandson's diet has started to be addressed by the Pediatrician who realizes he has allergies. The psychiatrist saw him the other day and says she does not see all the criteria necessary for Autism or Aspergers either, because he lacks the cardinal signs. There is definitely ADHD and she believes simple schizophrenia. She has prescribed Straterra and Respirdal. He took one dose the day she prescribed it and one the next morning, he went to his day care that said they would continue to work with him if he got medication, he had a good day. No melt downs, no biting, and appeared more cooperative and interactive with the other children whereas before he would interact with only adults in the immediate family for wants such as food or basic needs. The evaluation of the psychiatrist will also push my son(grandson's father) towards state help a little faster. But, it goes to show that sometimes the fastest answer is not the best because every one who saw him in the past guessed Aspergers, but he does make eye contact, does interact with his father, such as I love you dad, and my son was able to ask him the other night why he bit the other kid and he said it was because the kid made him mad. I think that was a pretty good start on getting him out into the world of accountability for his actions. My son was able to talk to him about it being wrong for him to do. It was a much more simple conversation than it sounds like here, but much, much more hopeful than we first thought since my grandson has had no professional attention before now and a tremendous amount of neglect, and we suspect possible abuse now, when his dad was at work.

Last edited by Marimac; 02-09-2005 at 12:09 AM. Reason: clean up misleading pronouns

Closed Thread