It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #1

Blue102 HB User
ADD? Asperger's?

The mods on these boards probably hate me... I'm always trying to diagnose myself. I've just got some issues that I'm trying to figure out, and would like some opinions.

Basically, I'm smart but can't function. I have two college degrees, working on a third, IQ of around 156, (not so good at math but excellent verbally and artistically.) I have social anxiety and depression. I've had 7 jobs in the past year and have been fired from most of them. The reasons for that vary, but it was usually because I kept making careless mistakes--and I could never get along with my coworkers.

I don't understand. I'm such a nice person. People seem to like me at first, then for some reason decide they don't like me anymore. I feel like people think I'm either weird or snobby, which I don't think I am. I am terribly sensitive and I can't handle it when someone doesn't like me.

I was a weird kid growing up... I would obsess over the weirdest things, like reflectors in the road. I asked my mom once to buy me chemicals so that I could imitate bioluminescence (age 12). I had a couple of friends, who called me weird and said I 'talked like a book." I don't think I'm that weird anymore though.

I can't talk to people. I can't look people in the eye, and I stumble over my words and blank out. I'm rather shy, I guess.

I am doing something wrong, and I don't know what it is. I have been thinking I have ADD, since I make mistakes and screw things up, but I have been reading about this Aspergers thing and it almost sounds like me. I have the hardest time with social skills. I just don't get it... I have to study how to just talk to people! (And this is AFTER getting a bachelor's in Communication Arts!)

I'm going to the Psych today, to get a proper diagnosis, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #2

Blue102 HB User
Re: ADD? Asperger's?

Apologies, guys. Sometimes I post really goofy things. Got diagnosed ADD this morning, didn't bring up anything else. Anyway, I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows anything about the conditions.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

starrie HB User

Hi Blue:-)

Aspergers is a really heavy Dx to give yourself especially considering the symptoms you described. While you kinda described the social pblms seen w/ Aspergers, you have to ask yourself to what extent do you have these and can they be better explained by other things. Also, Aspergers requires repetitive, sterotyped behaviors. While you describe 'strange obsessions', I'm thinking they were developmentally appropriate. Who doesn't fixate on road reflectors when they're 12? I liked the red ones!

I like this explanation better. Intelligent people often have a more difficult time socially with the mainstream simply b/c of a lack of shared interests, discussion topics and relating in general. In this way, intelligence can be an iron curtain and can cut off your social access to the people around you. Over time, your social skills get rusty.

Give yourself some credit and go w/ a Dx of "identity disorder". The DSM-IV-TR defines this as uncertainty about multiple issues relating to identity. This could include your social identity, how you fit into the world, the resulting conflict, etc. Throw in some anxiety & depression since they would certainly result from your angst.

Last edited by starrie; 03-08-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #4

Blue102 HB User

Lol, thanks for the reply...I was feeling a bit unpopular.

I get kinda silly sometimes diagnosing myself. Hypochondria is in the DSM too.

Thanks for putting things into perspective. I gotta get a life and stop reading about all these 'disorders'... for gosh sakes, everybody has them!

Reply Reply