It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
(male)

Ian1000 HB User
aspergers

I will ask soon for a diagnosis on my nearly 4 year old boy. I read about high functioning low functioning and aspergers being the 'highest' level. At nearly 4 do you get any insight in to the severity of the condition? If aspergers can talk well how can this be judged when my lad has problems with speach? He has a lot of strenght to:-

1. Understands and communicates non verbaly well.
2. starting to speak - no, more, again, bye, go, pull and a handful of other words.
3. Can more or less dress himself.
4. Toilette trained for no.1's
5. He is quite well built but very agile.
6. Good eye contact.
7. Doesn't seem to suffer sensory overload and doesn't seem to need routine.
8. Picks up things such as how to use the video player very quickly.
9. Good at jigsaws.
10. Points or takes you to what he wants.
11. Does mingle with others fairly well.

He does hum and jump when exited (walks on his toes when barefoot) His elder brother jumps a bit too when exited.

Has speech delay.

Has shown other typical red flag signs such as lining things up. These other signs are now and again or a brief phase. I would say other than the humming and jumping his behaviour is fairly normal although he is strong willed.

He loves tv and the video. He often rewinds the video to certain events or just for the hell of it.

Has anyone any comments.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Re: aspergers

Not sure. You may just not be describing this too well (or rather perhaps you perceive the symptoms as milder than they actually are?) but to me it does not sound like autism. His only symptom seems to be an expressive speech delay?

A lot of the time in kids who have specific disabilities (for example born blind, deaf, language disordered) there are some similarities with autism, but they tend to be limited to the area of disability (language in his case). A lot of children with speech delays exhibit autistic-like behaviours, including temper tantrums (since they are frustrated because they cannot communicate), but with autism, it is usually all levels of communication that are affected, not just speech.

In any case, it can not be Asperger's - his only symptom is precisely one that normally excludes an AS diagnosis, i.e. absence of speech. If he was on the spectrum, his language delay would lead to a diagnosis of HFA or PDD-NOS.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 04-25-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

IBGECKO HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead23
In any case, it can not be Asperger's - his only symptom is precisely one that normally excludes an AS diagnosis, i.e. absence of speech. If he was on the spectrum, his language delay would lead to a diagnosis of HFA or PDD-NOS.
Agreed. He does not sound AS to me, but there are definitely red flags for HFA (speech delay, toe walking). He needs speech therapy and a lot of it. I hope you have the resources available to you to get an accurate evalution so he can get the necessary services he needs.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
(male)

Ian1000 HB User

Thanks both

Ian

Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

mom2chris HB User

I've read somewhere that the difference between HFA and Asperger's is that there is no speech delays in Asperger's. My son's school psychologist thought he had Asperger's, but since my son does have the speech delay he was labed as High functioning by TEACCH.

Closed Thread