It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Inactive

off kilter HB User
To Parents of kids with asperger & high functioning autism

My son age 7 &1/2 with severe autism had hernia surgery thur. through a fluke my husband had met the surgen but I had not had a chance till we were in preop. The surgen had been recomended to us by our reg. Dr. I found him a little odd. He answered questions in one or two words and seemed to need prompting to give us more. His voice was flat, at this large hospital we often see Dr's who use English as a second lang. so I didn't pay much attention due to my concern for my son and just figured the Dr. was in a hurry to get my son taken care of. After my son was in recovery we spoke to the surgen again, after he left the room something clicked and I asked my husband if he knew the Dr. had high functioning autism or aspergers. He laughed and wondered how long it would take me to figure it out. My son's Dr. had told my husband when he refered us to him that the urologist had aspergers. Amazing!

Old 09-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

jasiusmom HB User
Re: To Parents of kids with asperger & high functioning autism

That is wonderful!! I will share that story with my family. It certainly gives hope.

I also hope your son is recovering quickly. Surgery is never a fun experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Offkitler; I hope little Paul is doing well. He has been through alot over the past few months. Like the previous posters, thanks for sharing this story. I worry about my son's future and I really needed an inspirational story such as this right now.

Again, I hope Paul is doing well and thanks again.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul's doing great. Although yesterday he took off his surgical dressings and ate them. God he's fast! They made sure I had extra dressing in case he got into them. Only problem they didn't give me any ideals on keeping him still to reapply them. Isn't Autism wonderful. The Dr. was funny. I had asked him to check Paul's butt while he was asleep because sometimes when I wipe him there is a small amt of blood. ( usually not a big deal, it can result from passing a large stool) but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a fissure. While Paul was still asleep in post op we saw the Dr. and I asked him if he had checked Paul's butt and he just looked at me dead pan and said No. Just no? After we stood there a minute he realized he should say something else you could almost see him processing the situation. He said we can look now, and seemed please he had given the correct answer. So we rolled Paul over and took a peek, very strange situation. There was no sign of a problem. I have since learned through our regular Dr. that he has a emotional, social assistant that is always by his side to help him deal with parents if I did not understand Autism I would find him very odd to deal with.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

hmmmmm That's really interesting. I wonder so much about the future. I'm glad to hear Paul is doing well. It sounds like you have your hands full but you always sound so upbeat about it. Most of us here are dealing with just the Autism but you have medical conditions compounding that. Poor Paul.... It's hard to expalin medical procedures to a typically developing child.

Keep your upbeat attitude, You are very inspiring

Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
Inactive

off kilter HB User

jeffreys mom, thanks for the compliment "Keep your upbeat attitude, You are very inspiring" You have to have a sense of humor or you won't surive Autism. Paul's older brothers are 28 and 25 so a sense of humor is a must. My husband and I also joke that the fact Paul was conceived during the April 1st 1997 ( April fools day) blizzard in New England may be a factor as well. Have you ever heard the expression " If you want to give God a good laugh tell him your plans" I think God's laughing so hard right now he wet his pants.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #7

Jana2676 HB User

Glad to hear Paul is doing well. Thanks for sharing the story of the doctor, I think many of us need some hope for the future of our kids. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Offkilter; Sorry so late to post back. I went to Disney World on Monday and just got back today. I was really worried that Jeffrey may have a hard time but he did really well although he had a major meltdown in the airport today when it came time to get on the plane. That's when the sense of humor and Autism come in handy. Picture this: 40 year old overweight mom with a 30 lb. backpack on chasing a screaming very fast and very loud 2 year old yelling "no get on plane" down the on ramp to the jet. It was either laugh or cry so..... I laughed.... with tears in my eyes.

I remember that April fool storm like it was yesterday. It feels like I just finished shoveling it

Old 09-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Jeffreysmom Wait a minute! I'm closing my eyes and picturing it. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
(male)

aridus HB User

Off kilter,
Did you ask the doctor whether your son's intestine is swollen or not? I heard that many autistic children have swollen intestines and that is said to be caused by missles virus and it is part of the sources of the autistic behavior. I don't know whether it is true or false, though.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:06 AM   #11
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul's intestines are fine. He developed the hernias and Hydroceles (fluid filled sacs) from his bout with pneumococcal bacteremia "The term pneumococcal bacteremia refers to a serious pneumococcal infection which occurs when the bacteria invade the blood stream" 2 years ago. The little blood on the paper when his butt is wiped is from passing a large or hard stool. Paul usually has no problem in that area but he like most of the family is unable to digest milk and can become constipated from it. We try hard to avoid milk but sometimes we induldge in to much cheese or other milk product and pay the price the next day.

Closed Thread