It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

mary02 HB User
Question Could it be aspergers

I was wondering if anyone has had this same experience.. I have a 7yr old daughter who was diagnosed with autism when she was 28months old, and is doing very well right now. My concern is my 3yr old who was wonderful until 2 1/2 years of age. At that time her behavior became explosive, tantrums over the slightest things, night terrors, picky eater, obsessed with cinderella movie that has to be on alllllll day, won't take a bath and socially shuns everyone expect me , her mom. Her speech is far beyond that of most children her age. I'm really becoming concerned. Am I over reacting?

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Re: Could it be aspergers

Hi Mary02, welcome to the autism board. I can understand why you are concerned. What you described can definetly be signs of autism. However, they could also be 2 year old behavior. The speech delay is what poped out at me from your post. I would get her evaluated as soon as possible if she were my child. I would also get her into your local Early Intervention Program right away. Even if she is not on the autistic spectrum she would benefit from speech therapy. They may also be able to help with some of the other isssues.

Have your daughters language skills regressed any? Is she similar to the way your other daughter was at the same age?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

mary02 HB User

I agree, it could be just the terrible two's, and that is what I've been saying for the last 5 months. Regarding her speech, she has wonderful speech, way beyond other children her age, although now she is starting to repeat one or two words before she can actually get a sentence out. She does have some of the sensory issues her autistic sister showed like, not wanting her clothes on, never wants shoes or socks on, will rub yogurt, icecream, whatever she can on her face. She has now started spinning alot too. She's just started covering her ears too when she doesn't like the sound of things.
I could just be paranoid, but she didnt have any of these traits before 2 1/2 yrs old. I even held off on her mmr til she was 2yrs old.
I'm just a nervous wreck!

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

It sounds like she may meet some of the Asberger criteria. Two is a funny age so it would be best to have her evaluated to give you some peace of mind. You are right to be concerned. Siblings of autistic children have a higher chance of being affected. Is it possible she is imitating some of the behaviors of her older sister? Two is the age of imitation, good, bad or otherwise. Good Luck

Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Mary, I misread your first post and thought your daughters speech was behind. You very clearly stated her speech was advanced I must have been tired. She actually sounds alot like my oldest son who is not autistic. He has always been very advanced for his age. He also had alot of sensory issues and OCD type symptoms.

If I were you I would look up information on gifted children. Alot of the problems are similar with children with ADHD and with Aspergers. Gifted children have a great tendency to have sensory integration issues. I would also read the book (I can't remember the exact title) "The Spirited Child" or "Raising a Spirited Child" it help me with understanding my son.

Clearly you will want to watch your daughter closely and help her with whatever issues she is having. Having a daughter who is autistic will make you much more away of all of the issues than another parent with a similar child would be. I do not think you are being over sensitive. I also think you need to have her evaluated for your own piece of mind. It has got to be very frustrating wondering if you have a case of regressive autism. My thoughts are with you.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 10-19-2005 at 08:35 AM.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It could very well be Asperger's, but only if she has normal vocabulary, or especially, extremely advanced vocabulary for her age, which it sounds like she does. I have some Asperger's-type symptoms; I'm 18 and I've had them all of my life. However, I DON'T have Asperger's. I do have severe OCD; have had it all of my life, too, and since OCD is now being listed under the "autistic spectrum disorder" criteria, it doesn't at all surprise me why I have some striking similarities of Asperger's- namely the extreme maturation for my age (which makes it impossible to relate to peers), sensory disturbances, tantrums/mood swings (this also may be possible cyclothymia), and, of course, obsessive fixations and interests. These differ from the hellish obsessions that are my OCD- like Asperger's, my obsessive interests fill me and make me feel happy, but my thirst for knowledge is never quite satiated, and I must continually learn more... I also have always had some echolalia, in the form of repetition of quotes from TV shows and movies, ever since I can remember. I mean, when I was three, I knew every line of every episode of "Full House", and I can still visualize every scene of the season 2 and 3 episodes and know the dialogue. Same with "I Love Lucy", my ultimate passion and "Chicago", which I also can mimic the gestures and tone inflections when the characters speak. Also have fixations and perseverations regarding abnormal psychology (big surprise there! ), Spanish, American history, Frank Sinatra, FDR, and goodness knows how many else! I also was a strange child- unlike Asperger's children, I involved myself in TOO much imaginative play, and was always in my own little world, but even some of the things I played with were OCD-like and indicative of an autistic spectrum disorder- I had a dollhouse that I would love to arrange the furniture perfectly, I would dress my Barbies and line them up on the stairs in a "social hierarchy" and assign them each a certain purse, best friend, birthday, last name, etc, I had every single animal in "Littlest Pet Shop", but I wouldn't play with them- I would just get it out and set up all the different sets, always putting certain displays in certain places. I always was into science and anatomy- wanted to be an obstetrician at age four- and loved learning about the planets and the human body/organs. The "Magic School Bus" books were practically written for me because I was (and am) such a nerd! I also loved street signs, states and their capitals, and chemistry- all of which are still intense loves of mine in some way, shape, or form. Again, since I don't have actual Asperger's, I attribute these "Asperger's-like" symptoms to OCD, as I can definitely see the similarities between OCD and autistic spectrum disorders. I also agree that it could be signs of giftedness, which can mimic some disorders. I highly recommend the book "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Giftedness", which I bought for myself, and addresses the differences between behaviors in gifted children and behaviors in mental illnesses. Just be aware that the giftedness and Asperger's/OCD often overlap. I wish you the best for you and your two daughters, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 10-19-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 AM   #7
(female)

mary02 HB User
Talking Re: Could it be aspergers

Thanks for all the info. Deep down, in my mother gut, I honesty feel that its aspergers. She is the youngest of my 4 children and something is just not right. Her pretend play is sometime over the top too, she has full blown conversations with Cinderella on her cinderella phone, you would think she's right in the room with her, not to mention, our cinderella movie is on all day. I'm waiting for an appointment with our local childrens hospitals Developmental Clinic, so time will tell.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The thing about talking to Cinderella- wow! Did that ring a bell! I still have imaginary conversations in my head, which I of course have to act out aloud, but it's not psychosis because I know that it's me doing the voices- this is where my echolalic symptoms come in. Ever since I can remember, I did this, and my mother knew about it and called it "pretending." I would act out elaborate scenes with toys, but they were always situations that were much more mature than that of my age like dating, social acceptance, backstabbing, etc. I have an uncanny ability to mimic voices and do accents, so this is basically how I find out which accents I can do and how I practice them. I remember one day when I was four very clearly- it's the first time I found I could do an "accent." I had gotten "Totally Hair Barbie", and from that moment on, I've been able to do a very convincing "Valley Girl." It's like I'm just acting- it just "feels right" to say certain things in certain inflections at certain times. But again, I KNOW it's not real, but it is uncontrollable and compulsive. Half of the time, I don't even realize I'm doing it mentally (obvioulsly do it mentally when others are around). It's just like how I don't realize I get songs stuck in my head throughout the day and they play over and over...Write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
(female)

mary02 HB User

Gatsbyluv, Just a quick question are you right handed or left, just curious ....thanks

Old 10-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm left-handed, and let me guess, your daughter is, too? Further showing how few girls are lefties and autistic because they both seem to have a connection to testosterone overdose in the womb?
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
(female)

mary02 HB User

My daughter is very lefty, I don't think she ever tried to use her right hand.

Closed Thread