It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User
What should I get our son with Asperger's for Christmas?

Greetings! We have a 6 year old with Asperger's although he has not been officially diagnosed. We're waiting for the appt. (Always waiting!) But I was wondering...what type of gift is good for a child with Asperger's? Our son always wants the same thing for Christmas every year and for his birthdays. He wants an American flag, a magical wand, and candles. I have to say, this year he did express that he would like tights like his sister, for Christmas. He is always getting into her socks and wearing her "flowing" dresses. The dr said he would outgrow this..by the time he is 6...but it seems to have escalated. Would occupational therapy help him? I don't know. Anyway, if anyone has advice, feel free! Thanks!

Old 11-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Re: What should I get our son with Asperger's for Christmas?

perhaps you can get his some tight fitting thermo pants, you know long jons? As for gifts, I buy my son stuff and most of the time, he doesn't really get into them. He has no pervasive intrest so we can't even explore that.

He really likes Color wonders. he is 5 1/2. We are getting him so board games to try to expand his mind, playing skills and take some of the intrest off the TV. The game operation works on fine motor skills and we are getting that. He likes dominos. My parents are getting him a doodle monster and some games for the vsmile. He likes things he can hold in his hand. He is always "I want that" but some stuff just isn't going to happen and lot I know he wont play with.

HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #3

SHReed HB User

Our son is 6 and this year for Christmas we're going to think more carefully about what kinds of toys to buy him. We're going to avoid anything that is too repetitive and that would be too easy for our son to get fixated, or too focused on. Since Autistic kids tend to get easily fixated on objects, I think it makes sense to stay away from toys that would get the kids obsessed with the motion or the objects. For example, when my sons visit their great-grandmother, she brings out a toy train that just goes around and around on a track and it's battery operated so it just keeps going around and around at the same speed - that would definitely not be the type of toy we'd buy because it doesn't stimulate any imagination, there's no interaction involved, and he just gets so fixated on the repetitive motion that he goes into his own little world. We're going to look for simple toys that will allow us to play with him to encourage interaction, such as blocks or other building toys, puzzles, and he also likes to "cook" with play food. I've seen toy catalogs for kids with special needs - you might do an online search using the keywords "toys for children with special needs" or something similar.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
(male)

Andrew63 HB User

What about an old / 2nd hand computer? There are lots of free games on the internet and great websites like seasame street, teletubbies and playhouse.

There is a man on the web who calls himself "Grey Ollwit". (No spelling mistake - he is an Englishman.) His son was diagnosed with ADD when he was a kid so this dad quit work and created all these games to help his son learn to concentrate. That son is now in his twenties and recently graduated university. Some great games for the very beginners to learn to use the mouse as well.

Fisher Price also have some online games but they are for the younger kids and may not interest a six year old boy.

My girlfriend's daughter loves the computer and plays educational games (no playstation) from seasame street, winnie the pooh and loads my girlfriend has saved in the favourites. She made a separate log in for her daughter who has a fondness for downloading ads and getting into the c drive.

My girlfriend trolls the net looking for new stuff for her daughter all the time.

Other stuff she gives her daughter is lots of books, a swing set, a trampoline, videos, mini piano that plays nursery rhymes and musical instruments.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
(male)

Andrew63 HB User

Oh and how did I forget! Lots of jigsaw puzzles! Her lastest one is a round one which has the kid stumped! She will take longer than the usual 15 minutes to crack this one!!

Old 11-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User

Thank you for all of your advice! I'm so grateful for this board!

Closed Thread