It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

cltulip HB User
Asperger's ?maybe more

Hi, I have a 10yr old son that has Asperger's. He is basically the poster child for Aspergers. The phsycologist seen him 3times and said that it was very clear. My question is this....my son also has Central Auditory Processing Disorder, a borderline IQ at about 82 (they say 77-82), and physically is the size of a 7-8yr old(very skinny). So, I was thinking and I wonder if all this might be tied into one big thing. I don't know if that makes sense but it just seems to me like something is missing. I had him tested the other day for fragile X , it really seems like he fits this description...he also has the protruding ears. The only problem is that I have 2 other sons who are neurotypical and a daughter who is also a NT. I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything else that these things may be linked to. I know that it may not seem to matter, but it really does. The school and others treat him like he has Asperger's which for him is not enough. They say well he just needs help socializing and he has severe sensory issues....but they don't look at the whole picture which expands greatly outside of the asperger's. so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
(male)

mad jamison HB User
Re: Asperger's ?maybe more

Your son definitely has something else going on, and may not even have Asperger's. Aspie kids have normal to higher than average IQ, which is the main distinction between Asperger's and other forms of autism. I would get a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

cltulip HB User

Thank you for replying. The diagnosis of Asperger's comes from his socialization skills being of a 4yr old, his sensory issues(he "flips out" from noise, heat or touch), no eye contact, no imagination and unusual manneurisms(chewing on his tongue, pulling his hair and flapping his arm). along with all that like I mentioned before his size, his ears, his IQ, his short term memory is that of a 5yr old, daily living skills are of a 4yr old(just started showering by himself), he has full conversations with himself, obsesses over wars(all of his games and movies), does not watch tv or listen to music(sensory), and he will only wear the swishy pants(I think they are nylon), shirts that have stripes and only wears socks that say hanes in green. I'm sure there are other things I'm missing. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them. I work for his pediatrician so any testing I want I basically can get. His pediatrician says fragile x would be the answer but then how would my other sons not have it. Thanx in advance for any help.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

I Love LJC HB User

Hi Cltulip it sounds like your Sons doctor is doing the right thing by testing your Son for fragile x to rule it out.Takecare keep us posted

Last edited by I Love LJC; 12-11-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

well, AS is usually have a normal or higher IQ like the other posted. I don't think it has any baring on size or not. I have seem some AS that are very large for their size. My son has AS and his is on the smaller end for his age, but still in the "normal" range for his age.

He sounds like he has TONS of sensory issues and perhaps ONLY sensory issues, or perhaps Autism and SID, but the SID is covering up the Autism and making it look like AS. CIPD, may have some baring on his IQ, perhaps he isn't hearing our understanding the things asked of him so he doesn't know how to respond the proper way, and making his IQ go down.

I don't know much/anything about Fragile X, but I know it can present with ASD symptoms. Good luck

Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
(female)

heartcreature HB User

My son was tested for fragile X when he had his evaluation. It was part of a very intense look at him psychologically and medically. When you are talking about your sons IQ are those scores from tests that require verbal skills? My son tested low on those sort of tests, but on tests that did not require verbal skills he tested average or above average intelligence.
Your son sounds much like mine did at an early age. Self help skills were low, sensory issues and memory problems. He has always been of average or above average height and average weight and does not have the protruding ears. At age 8 my son tested at age 2 on things such as receptive and expressive language skills and I believe about the same on self help skills. You wouldn't think he was the same kid today as he is very self reliant. The areas he was low in continue to be a problem for him except for self help skills which are probably average range now, but his coping skills have improved as his language skills improved.
I don't know if this information helps any, but when you described your son I could see some similarities in my son at an earlier age.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
(female)

cltulip HB User

Hi, as far as the IQ test goes his verbal IQ was 83, his performance IQ was 83 and his full scale IQ was given the average. I was told today that I should have the fragile x results around the 27th of this month. Right now my son is having some heart problems that are really taking up alot of my time, so hopefully I'll get so caught up that the wait won't seem that long. Thank you all for your replies, sometimes it helps to hear about other children who compare to your child and to hear from other parents who know what your going through, so thank you.

crystal

Closed Thread