It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User
Could my son have Asperger's?

he's almost 10 months old and he has always been terrified of noises we can't even go to church without him screaming during the music and nothing soothes him not even the bottle. he get's overstimulated when he is playing in the living room and will scream until i put him in his playpen then i check on him and he is rocking on all fours in there. he screams about everything and when we give him a bath and put his clothes on he screams like we are hurting him. he can't go in public restroom cause if the toilet flushes he goes balistic. when he goes to eat and some noise happens he turns his head quicker then you can snap your finger. since birth when he would drink his bottle he would move his head up and down back and forth during whole feeding, we ruled out reflux he doesn't have that he had an upper GI and they think he doesn't have that. he is going to see a dev pedi so i am gonna explain all his behaviors. he can't get enough food i feed him so much and he is never happy with what i do for him. he get's mad when i try to sit him up he will only sit holding onto his legs then falls over to go onto stomach and if i try to sit him straight up he screams and fights me with his back. i know some of it may be cause he is strong-willed too maybe. his sister is almost 2 and she may have autism she has dev delays so not sure how much of a chance he can have something too. he babbles during the day so no problem there is is very loud but he likes to be by himself kicking his legs and talking to hisself. he does like his sister he looks at her and smiles and stuff get's excited but he get overstimulated quick and wants to be by himself. if his sister is making a noise with her toys he screams it depends which one it is. does this sound like asperger's? not sure what he may have or just a sensory problem? he isn't pulling up on furniture he just rocks on all fours and doesnt want to sit up straight. he get's mad when he is in his highchair and i am done feeding him babyfood i go to give him his cup and he screams of course he is on his bottle still but he is always mad. I go to take cup from him to give him his bottle and he holds onto it so tight i barely get it from his hands then he screams. I don't know what is going on. at 7 months he threw himself out of his bouncy seat and scratched his head cause i left the room for a few minutes cause i needed a break and he was screaming after i fed him changed him and everything. of course he hasnt been in bouncy seat for a long time now but i don't understand him with everything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
(female)

heartcreature HB User
Re: Could my son have Asperger's?

It's hard to say at 10 months old if it's autism but, he does sound like he has some sensory issues. It is very possible to have more than one child with autism. In fact autism is more inheritable than diabetes. Often the other children may not have all the characteristics of autism but may only have the sensory issues or social issues. Depression and anxiety can also been seen in siblings of autistic children. You are a wise mother to be concerned and it sounds like you are taking the correct steps in trying to figure out what is going on with your son and daughter. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

10 mos is way to young for AS ?'s. Most of the time you can't tell if it is AS until they are older at least 4, sometimes older. But Sensory issues seem to be in play.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
(male)

mad jamison HB User

I know you're having a rough time, but I did have to chuckle because he's so young and it's way too early for a diagnosis. He does sound a lot like my son at that age, always angry, sensory issues, screaming all the time, but don't go by that. My son didn't get diagnosed until he was 13 years old! Hopefully you'll get it figured out earlier than that, but for now, work on finding out what his triggers are, what bothers him, and what helps to comfort him. You'll become an expert.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
(female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User

mad well please forgive me i am asking cause i don't know anything about this.....someone told me that their baby was like mine and it was asperger's which is weird thats why i asked. and what makes him happy is to be by himself with no noise which isnt normal, in my opinion and getting mad about everything too well that is just his personality maybe. anyway i was guessing sensory problem.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
(female)

heartcreature HB User

Don't apologize for asking questions! I questioned very early on in my grandchildrens lives whether there was autistic tendencies going on. I was familiar with it because of my son, but I was seeing those tendencies in my grandchildren as well. It's good that you are paying attention to what's going on with your child and if it turns out that it's nothing then you've learned something about autism and aspergers and that's a good thing. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

This is the first time I've been on this board.

I have a 32-year-old son with Asperger's Syndrome. We had a lot of difficulty obtaining a diagnosis, even though I trudged from one place to another. Finally, at age 30 years old, we had our answer. A lot of the symptoms you describe are similar to how our son behaved when he was a baby. Unfortunately, not much was known about this condition when he was in grade school, so the school system did all sorts of interventions just to keep him going. He eventually did graduate, but it was a really, really difficult process.

We obtained our diagnosis by faithfully keeping records, never throwing any paperwork away that related to his school, medical, etc. I even logged every phone call from the school. Two different times, I took him to a school for learning handicapped children that had diagnostic facilities. The second time I went to them they utilized all my records to discern what was wrong, albeit it was a long time coming. Once I had the diagnosis, I went to our local regional center for autistic/mentally handicapped children/adults, and was able to obtain services through them at no charge to us. Our son is now working full-time and has his own apartment through social services. He is a testament in courage and constantly amazes and inspires me. I remember so many times being discouraged and sad because I felt he would never realize any dreams of his own. He has proved me wrong.

The sooner you get started with this child, the better it will be for all of you. Do you have services for the older child through your local regional center? Of course, this would only apply if you live in the United States. I do not know how the system works in other countries.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Closed Thread