It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Asperger's?

My CBT therapist and I are currently trying to decide if I have a mild case of Asperger's that could be interfering with my OCD treatment. It is a very confusing diagnostic process, as I have clear-cut symptoms of Asperger's, but other pieces of the puzzle don't fit. I was wondering if any parents (or sufferers) of Asperger's children could try and help me sort out the difference between being a high-functioning autistic and just having signs of "giftedness" and "eccentricity". Any help is appreciated. Thanks, and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User
Re: Asperger's?

I don't know if this helps, but my husband has Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder and oftentimes I wonder if he has some mild Asperger's, especially since we are finding out that our son age 6 has Asperger's. My husband also has mild non-verbal learning disorder, so it is hard to figure out where (if so) Asperger's starts, and where these other disorders start. It's very complex!! Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for replying, willstrideryder! I really appreciate it. I'm almost entirely convinced that I have some form of NVLD, too; I've always struggled with word problems in math and science (I'm horrible at math)- I know what they want to know, and I have the information, but I just get "stuck" and don't know what to do with it. It's just all jumbled and I can't ever seem to sort out the steps logically...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-13-2008 at 04:57 AM.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Hey Gatsby. Its extremely hard to tell the difference between something like Asperger's and ADD or OCD with learning diffculties. The best way to sort them out is using aspects not linked with OCD, like social problems (not only pertaining to anxiety or obsessions), motor delays and the way you percieve things (i.e. depth). Also, what really helped my diagnosis was my sensory dysfunctions.

It also helps to look at the larger aspect. Like Autism, OCD, ADD and learning difficulties (although they can be connected or similar) are all different things. Do you really believe you have the brain distinctions of an Autistic? or do believe your specific problems imitate Autistic symptoms?

SGH

Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, SuchGreatHeights! I really appreciate you trying to help me- I imagine that you can help me immensely by sorting out the symptoms because you actually DO have Asperger's. First off, there's absolutely no question or doubt that I have OCD. I didn't have motor delays if you're talking speech. I was one of the "hyperlexic" kids who taught herself to read at age four but couldn't spell worth at all because it probably was memorization...So, I do have some sensory issues, but again, I don't know if they're OCD-related or a part of the possible Asperger's. Ever since I can remember, I have always taken the same routes in places because they feel "safe". Certain places make me feel inexplicably creepy. Do you feel this way? I think this is why I tend to gravitate towards needing to sit in the same seat in classes because it "feels right", but it's different than the OCD "feels right"; I don't have obsessions that something bad will happen if I don't sit in the same spot or walk the same route, but rather, just feel uncomfortable and restless.

Being wet has always been highly uncomfortable for me, and I recently figured out that I avoid getting showers as long as possible because I detest getting my face wet. I love baths because I can rinse my hair under the faucet without getting my face wet. Yes, like you, certain lights, textures, and sounds bother me; can't think of any specifics right now, but my mom had a really difficult time taking me for clothes shopping as a kid...But, music is one sound that I know irritates me. I have a very limited selection of music that I listen to, and I find that it IS intolerable for me to listen to today's music. Now, the following is one symptom which I'm truly puzzled if it's OCD or not: mimicking voices. I have this strange ability to bend my voice to sound like the small nuances of emphasis in songs or movies, and I do have to repeat them out loud until they're "perfect", but again, there's no obsession behind it. Could this simply be another compulsion of mine or some sort of echolalia?

As far as thinking differently, this has always been the case for me.I get confused without details. I'm the stereotypical "misses-the-big-picture" kid and I "miss the forest because I can only see the trees". Are you like this, too? I think I've already told you about my obsessive fixations, which are pretty much perseverations, that give me happiness to pursue, unlike the miserable clinical obsessions of my OCD. Thanks again in advance for any help you can provide!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-13-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

GatsbyLuvr1920,

Your posts are fascinating to me! It is interesting that you talked about doing research. Roger Bannister, miler and physician, also said that his strength was in research. I suspect he has a few Asperger traits, and is very intelligent. Good luck with your studies.

Closed Thread