It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

Joshua'sNanny HB User
Talking Asperger's Syndrome Only Known about less than 10 years

I am looking for as many grandparent's raising their grandchildren or seeing problems with their grandchildren with Asperger's Syndrome. My daughter and son-in-law are refusing to get therapy from my grandson. They think it is a discipline problem, not a social problem. The step father is abusive and controlling. Four years ago my daughter would have never let this thing get so out of hand. I have been with my grandson since 9; I have never been apart from him and basically raised him. I have gone to every resource I could think of and keep hitting road blocks. When my last hope to get them to understand he needed therapy (teacher, principles, doctors, etc. I had to go to Social Services. When my daughter found out she has stopped letting me see my grandson. It has been since Feb. 14th and it is now March 22, this is the longest we have ever been apart. Don't go to Social Services for help, they are not for the child and you will be worst of then you started.
There are no grandparent’s rights in the state of Louisiana. I would like to form a group here to change that. We should not have to go through what we do to help our grandchildren. If you are a grandparent and want to start a group to get this law changed please email me. We also need the social services changed on how they investigate complaints and especially Asperger's. They did not even know what it was.
Thanks Roxanne [email]REMOVED[/email].

[email]REMOVED[/email].

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-23-2006 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Asperger's Syndrome Only Known about less than 10 years

I have Asperger's, and I'm sorry to hear that your grandson is having to go through this. What you say is true that, ten years ago, no one would have suspected it, and that's why the "behavior problem" stereotype still occurs. I'm almost 19, and though I had all of the symptoms that one of my four-year-old relatives had, they were diagnosed and I wasn't until last month because it simply wasn't known about. However, it isn't true that Asperger's was introduced less than 10 years ago. Hans Asperger, the discoverer of the disorder, described the symptoms in 1944... Good luck, and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

dwallech HB User

Sorry to hear such sad news. We have twin granddaughters, age 7. Haley has Aspergers. We have tried talking to my husband's daughter. but she doesn't deal with having three children. Haley told us she is not going to pass second grade. She needs to be in a different classroom setting. The best inside picture I got was a program on a tv talk show with a girl in her late 20's who has Aspergers. She explained all the things that were hard to cope with and the settings that she was not able to handle. I told Hayley she is special and God made her special. She knows she is different. She is on medication but her mother doesn't make sure she has her medicine every day, for whatever reason. The mother is not able to cope with three children and therefore, they are just kind of out there. We do not have rights as grandparents but have made suggestions etc as she is having trouble coping in the normal classroom setting. It is sad as she knows it but also knows her mother just lets her go. She acts out and just needs help she is not getting, but we cannot force the mother to do anything as she is the parent. The father was recently released from prison but they are divorced. It is a mess and the child suffers. It is sad as a grandparent you and I know you want what is best for your grandchild. It is hard when the parents don't want to have anyone "help" as they consider it interference. I am an education major and it is hard to see this grandchild put into a setting she can't handle as it is only going to get worse and the home life is atrocious as no one wants to take responsibility. I feel for you and my heart goes out to you and these children that are so misunderstood and can't help themselves to get the help they need. I wish you well. I hope you can group together and get things changed. It is extremely difficult when people cut off your visitation because you want to help and they considerate it invading their privacy. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. I wish you well. Hang in there. I believe also in the power of prayer and will prayer for you and your situation and for your grandchildren. Take care and let us know how you are doing. We are all here to support you!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

About ten years ago, I first read about Asperger Syndrome. A lot of the things they described fit me. I was academically strong, especially in English, literature, and languages, but socially weak and painfully shy. I also have atypical interests and can research my favorite subjects for hours on end. (I am currently fascinated with British miler Roger Bannister, the first to break four minutes for the mile. I have liked a lot of track and field athletes, but there is just something about Roger Bannister that stands out. I suspect he might have had a mild degree of Aspeger's himself. He was very smart, had a scientific turn of mind, and did things his own way. He was also a very kind person. He is a source of inspiration to me because he has managed to live a full, complete, accomplished life.) As far back as I can remember, I always had some special interest. One constant in my life has been animals, especially cats. I have a total of nine (four indoor cats, five ferals) and a dog.

On an Asperger's test, where a score of 32 indicates the beginning of Asperger's/autism, I scored 29, which I suspect puts me at the mild end of the spectrum. I haven't been formally diagnosed with AS, but some of the traits are definitely there.

Closed Thread