It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

JeepMom HB User
ADHD & Aspergers

Is it possible for a child to have both? The reason I ask is because I think my son could. I am basing it on the fact that he has marked improvement in behavior when on his ADHD medcine. So, if he didn't have ADHD, I would see that improvement. However, I think he has so many Asperger symptoms. No diagnosis yet though. We met with the child physcologist Monday and she would like to see us (or him) a couple more times before she makes any determination on his condition.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
(female)

sross24 HB User
Re: ADHD & Aspergers

I have read that some medical professionals believe that ADHD should be added to the autism spectrum. I guess there is a close relation between ADHD and the autism spectrum. In fact, someone wrote a book called the ADHD/Autism connection. I have not read it, but find the subject interesting. I have two children on the autism spectrum, and one child who has many ADHD symptoms. Her pediatrician thinks she probably does have ADHD, but since my husband and I do not want to put her on medication at this time, he said we will hold off a little longer and see how things go before we make a formal diagnosis. As of now though, she meets the DSM criteria for a diagnosis of ADHD. Was your son already diagnosed with ADHD? I do have a friend whose child has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, ADHD, and bipolar disorder. There is such a close resemblance in symptoms between all of these disorders, that it is hard to figure out what is actually going on with our kids. Very frustrating to us parents. Good luck to you.

-Steph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

JeepMom HB User

Yes my son was diagnosed with ADHD. What I am wondering is, does the ADHD medicine also help children with Aspergers or other types of Autism?

Thank you!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

My son has ADHD & PDD-NOS. He had atypical responses to ADHD meds ... they did their job, and then some! Like many w/Asperger's or PDD-NOS, the stimulant meds increased obsessions & anxiety. Not at first, but after a while.

I think ADHD is fairly common in kids on the spectrum, but not all ADHD kids have autism. It's good to get sorted out whether he meets spectrum criteria or not -- can be very helpful down the line in school.

Good luck w/the diagnostics.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #5

rids HB User

Even in an NT kid, stimulant medication can cause anxiety. 5-HTP can be helpful for anxiety.

If you are not happy with the Psych, a developmental pediatrician may be a better diagnostician. Ruling out neurological issues is a must, especially if thinking about medicating AS characteristics, so a neuro consult is important also.
AS & ASD as well as bi-polar are the Hip & new diagnoses at the moment, so be wary and trust your instincts.

Last edited by rids; 04-06-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

What's the difference between having a regular eval and a developmental pediatrician eval???

Old 04-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #7

rids HB User

a qualified general pediatrician who has specialized knowledge and experience in assessing and managing children with developmental disabilities, such as global or specific developmental delays, autism, cerebral palsy, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities etc.

It involves gathering information on age-specific behaviors through testing, observations and interactions with the child and the parents, in order to arrive at a diagnosis.

Area of Focus for Assessment

Assessment involves documentation of present or absent organic pathologic processes as well as the determination of the possible etiology of the disability. This includes medical and neurological examinations by gathering the child's developmental, academic and behavioral history. In addition to this, a detailed observation of the child's abilities, strengths and weaknesses, play and social skills is done using both formal and informal tools.

Ongoing Care/ Therapy

A developmental pediatrician is required not only to evaluate but also to assist in management of children with cognitive, motor, communicative and/or behavioral difficulties. Ongoing care necessitates periodic follow-ups which enables the pediatrician to establish checks and balances based on reports by parents and teachers. In addition to this formal testing as well as comparative data from one assessment point to another to uncover patterns in the developmental process.

Neurological conditions, genetic and metabolic issues as well as chronic physical medical illnesses often impact a child's learning and behavior. The developmental pediatrician is able to assess and quantify the magnitude of impact, which determines the level and kind of ongoing care required.

Ongoing care also requires the developmental pediatrician to serve as the child's advocate. In doing so they often become the coordinator of the interdisciplinary team as well as a consultant to the school or other agencies to improve the provision of services for children with disabilities. The developmental pediatrician also needs to be able to impart appropriate and accurate information to parents and other allied professionals, helping them to understand the needs to the child.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Thank you I didn't know there was any difference between having a regular eval for autism and aspergers and having an eval from a developmental ped. Your information of the subject is extremely valuable.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I was, erroneously I believe, diagnosed as hyperactive and put on Ritalin in kindergarten. It didn't work for me. I truly believe I have Asperger's, if I do have anything. Asperger's is a better fit for my specific characteristics.

Closed Thread