It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Asperger's and talking to oneself?

I was just wondering if any of your children with Asperger's talk to themselves, not talking to voices/hallucinations, but just talk out loud when they're by themselves. I've been doing this ever since I can remember; my mom used to call it "pretending." Just curious if this is an Asperger's thing or if this is one of my own unique quirks... Thanks!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Asperger's and talking to oneself?

I'm a self talker. I believe that it helps me not only concentrate and stay on task, but helps to seperate what I'm doing into easier and smaller tasks. I believe, in the psychobabble bible it is called "verbal mediation".

I as well tend to talk outloud when when I'm inside my head. Partly for the same reasoning for task. Just to keep my head straight.

SGH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I do it. I am currently at work on the planning stages for a couple of books I want to write and plan them out loud when I am by myself.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight- Yes! That's exactly what it's like! Almost as if I'm separating things into smaller tasks or just trying to talk about my fixations that no one else understands! I read that many people with Asperger's have trouble staying on task and we get "stuck" going from one phase to the next. This is especially true of me... I like how you said that you tend to talk to yourself when you're "inside your head." This is probably the same as when I talk to myself about my fixations. Thanks for responding, both of you. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

At work, I will go over an item on my list. It helps me locate it more quickly. I am pretty efficient at my job, finding over 90 percent of the items most of the time, except when the list is especially long. Going over it helps me do the job even faster.

Sometimes, I will recite lines of a favorite movie to myself. I'm careful to do that only when I'm completely by myself.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

I have suspected my husband has Asperger's ever since our son was diagnosed with ASD and I started reading up on it, now I am positive. He talks to himself all the time. He will be working out in the yard, walking across a parking lot, etc..and he will be talking to himself. He has WAY too many Asperger's traits to be anything other than an Aspie, especially since we have an Autistic son. He's extremely intelligent, in a management position at work, hates change, not social, very awkward with others, but he's oh so sweet once you break down his wall. I've tried several times to talk to him about it, but he gets defensive. There's nothing wrong with being diagnosed with Asperger's at 34 years old. In my opinion, it would be less of a diagnosis and more of an explanation. Thank you so much Gatsbyluvr for posting this!! I hope I can make my husband see that it's OKAY!!

Brandy

Old 04-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

P.S. Who would an adult go to to be diagnosed??

Thanks!! Brandy

Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Perhaps going to a pscychriast would be able to diagnose your husband...or maybe a psychologist? I'm not sure what the difference is exactly.

I talk to myself! I'm just very verbal...and sometimes talking my way through a task or smething, will help me get it done quicker. Shoot, I talk to myself when I'm writting emails and stuff too, sometimes...maybe not always outloud, but a voice in my head at least.

I was working on some math a while back, and like kind stuck...so I just started talking to myself. And my dad was like "Who are you talking to out there?" LOL

Last edited by Midget; 04-18-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User

I, too, think my husband has Asperger's. Two of our four children have autism. My husband talks to himself alot. He'll be talking to himself in the bathroom. When we were first married, I kept wondering what the heck he was doing in the bathroom! (Or who else was in there with him!) He'll talk to the soap, shampoo, whatever. Then he'll get mad at the soap if it slips...and he'll say, "Stupid piece of dog crap!" That's as close as he ever comes to profanity. I just think it's funny now. I guess you get used to it. One thing that really bugs me though is- talking in the middle of a movie! He'll just talk to himself about the show whether we are in a theater or at home. I've learned to ignore him, but if we are with other people, I have to remind him to be quiet. What is interesting is I have a friend whose husband has auditory processing disorder so when we go to the movies together our husbands actually really understand each other and talk all throughout the movie to themselves without knowing it!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow. I didn't expect to get so many responses! I, too, recite lines from movies and TV shows, and I have to do it with the right inflection that the original speaker said it as well as do the gestures/mannerisms. Lines from A Beautiful Mind and The Aviator come up a lot, probably because of the whole isolation from society due to mental illness thing. Quotes with accents especially because I can find an excuse to do one of my many accents. I never realized until recently that doing this, and having this ability to mimic voices, is obviously some sort of echolalia. So, naturally, I love Aviator because I can do the Katherine Hepburn accent and the Southern accent for Howard Hughes. Plus with lines like, "Howard, we're not like everyone else- too many acute angles, too many eccentricities... We have to be very careful not to let people in, or they'll turn us into freaks," that explain how I feel a lot of the time, how can I resist? I only talk out loud during TV shows, usually when I watch them for the first time, and only when I'm by myself. I tend to analyze everything about the TV show, and my favorite movies are those in which the plot makes complete sense and is realistic. If there's one thing that doesn't make sense, I can't say it's my favorite. Anyway, I "talk back" to the characters a lot, and it's not like someone saying, "Don't go in there!" during a scary movie. No, it's much more than that, an all-out conversation... Ausomemom- I was just diagnosed, and I really like how you said that it's more of an explanation than a diagnosis; this is how I feel. So many things make sense about me now. A part of me was missing- I felt wonderful when I discovered I had OCD because it helped explain a lot, but not everything. I've done a lot of thinking the past few months, and realized how much of my character really is Asperger's. I'm in one of these moods today where I don't want to be around everyone, not just because people annoy me, but also because it's just acutely obvious that I'm different. But, yes, I talk to myself during practically every situation, and it differs in the context. Sometimes it's simply movie/TV quotes, sometimes it's me just talking aloud about my interests or my plans, as if I were talking to some imaginary person beside me (I think this stems from the fact that I had an imaginary "twin" as a child, but I never really acted as the twin, just talked as myself to "her", using it as an excuse to relay my thoughts), and other times I'll make up scenarios between the cartoon characters I've created. I don't believe that these people are real, but I actually become them, act like their character; it's almost like acting in some ways. I'll just start talking as one of my characters and I won't even realize it until later. It's usually just limited to my favorite character. This is why I loved playing with dolls as a child, not because I liked doing "normal" things with them, but just so I would have a tangible outlet to "pretend" with. When I'm walking by myself, I speak out loud, but when I'm with someone else, I continue doing one of the three methods in my head, usually when I have to wait in line for something. My mom would sometimes "catch" me doing it when I was younger, but she always knew what it was, and would just say, "Oh, were you talking to yourself?" I don't like to be interrupted when I'm in the middle of it, but I guess my mom never thought it was strange since I've always done it. Thanks to everyone who responded! It feels good knowing that this probably is the Asperger's...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-13-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

My current favorite movie to recite lines from is Four Minutes, the life story of Roger Bannister. (Yes, him again!) I love the line that the actress who plays Moyra Jacobsson, his future wife, says to him: "You're an odd mix, Roger. Terribly, absolutely English, yet possessing that maddening quality of American independence. I suppose most people don't know what in the world to do with you." I can relate to being different, being my own person, and having people being unable to figure out just "what in the world to do with me."

The real Moyra Jacobsson knew exactly "what to do" with Roger Bannster-she fell in love with him for who he was and married him. They have been together now over 50 years. That movie gives me such a sense of hope. Maybe someday I can find a man who loves me for who I am, and will accept this "odd mix" who calls herself "9CatMom" here-and love my cats as well.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Another good line in that movie was "Be careful, Roger Bannister. Don't go thinking everything is so neat. There are things that may surprise you." He had a tendency to put everything into neat categories, in preparation for his future work as a physician.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
(male)

kevinincanada HB User

Thank you so much for introducing this thread. I am 37 have talked to myself for years. I am a courier driver on a fixed route, and at the end of each "part" of my route, I go over it out loud. This is my own way of reassuring myself that I have done everything that was needed. Thankfully, I am alone on my route as I have had a lot of problems being accepted by most people around me, including my coworkers... and if they knew that I did this, it would only add to my difficulties!

I am currently being assessed for AS as well as other issues. Since childhood, I have had severe sensory reactions, a lot of problems with others in my age group and no self-esteem. I have been in and out of group homes and psychiatric hospitals throughout most of my life.

Talking to myself is my way of organizing myself. I won't go on to the next town on my route until I have gone over all the necessary stops in the town I'm working in. I do this alone in the truck, and turn the radio off while I'm doing it, as I can't handle more voices than my own. Once I'm satisfied that I did all that was needed, as well as count the number of stops, I turn the radio back on, and move on to the next town.

As embarrassing as this may seem (the folks that live on the rural road on which I walk to and from work think I'm weird), I talk to myself while I walk along this road every day. I talk about the weather, about how I hope my day will go.... about my life at home. I try to avoid anyone hearing me. When I get off the bus, anyone else that is walking up that road would hear me, so I go to the Avondale store on the corner and wait a few minutes until they are far enough up the road that they can't hear me when I talk. Within myself, I am happy when I talk to myself-- sometimes I'll even run down that same road after work because I'm happy... and I talk to myself the whole way!

At home, I talk to myself all the time, as long as my partner isn't home. One of his friends who knows a lot about AS told him a couple years ago that I have it. I had a hard time understanding it. But now, I have come a long way. I am happier about myself, and have little regard for the "weird" things people say I do.

I have to always keep talking to myself--- it is one of the ways I survive. To me, I think nothing of it. It's normal!

I'm very fortunate that my partner has understood this, and encourages me to be myself. He has educated himself immensely about AS. Although he is not AS, he is touched by it and lives with it every day with me. He understands my world, and he lives in my world more often than he lives in his own as we spend almost all of our time together (by choice!)

Although many of those outside of myself and my partner think I'm weird, I know that I'm OK. I need this to survive, and will always talk to myself about all kinds of things. It is just my own way of organizing my thoughts and my feelings-- feelings that I can't express any other way.

My partner encourages it, he says it's like being able to speak to your own conscience... a gift of logical thinking.

I have been fortunate to have several people encourage me to just be myself. Some know a lot about AS, but others do not. Common to all, they accept my "weird" behaviours, such as talking to myself.

Thanks for putting this thread on the board.

Kevin

Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
(female)

crazeycoco HB User

Hi!
My Boy(Aspergers) talks when eating , playing in the bath at the television, In Class at his shoes at everything LOL
To be honest I didn't know this was to do with Aspergers, until I read all these posts!
Sometimes I want to say quietttttttttttttttttttttttttt but at least when hes talking aloud and at everything, hes not climbing the walls and at least he can talk which when he was two he hardly spoke.Now you can't stop him LOL
Thanks for posting this, Something I have learned from you lot today.
Hugs
Cathyxxxx

Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Thank you, everyone! I sometimes feel weird because I talk to myself. Now I know I don't have to.

Closed Thread