It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: Aspergers and tv obssessions

Gatsby,

Good luck on your exams! You should do well. As you stated, you are very articulate here, and that should help a lot. I love to write, so essays were actually easier for me than multiple choice and similar tests. I know about consistency. I have certain foods that I like to eat, too. I always liked to have a consistent schedule. I liked to know what would take place during my day. I am more flexible now, but still like consistency.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

Hi my son is 7 and diagnosed with As. and T.V , video games and cheat sites for videos games (instructional sites he will read endlessly) Ihave a hard time getting him to leave the house with me even at the same time every day (like to get his sister from school) because he says he is "scheduled" meaning T.v shows I got him some video tapes so that he can record them (one for every day of the week) it kinda helps but not really he says he needs to watch it the time the show comes on or its not the same . we also have a play station 2 and he keeps it on 24/7 we have the saving packs but a agin he says its not the same as pauseing it for the night. we are thinking of getting another so his brothers and sister can play to. he is also getting into rocks like we just got him a rock tumbler , but he can't stop there we got some archyoligist kits ,crystal growing kids , diggin out rocks from in side moon rocks we have rocks from one end of the house to the other right now we can't do 1 kit the next week do another they all have to happen today!!! and it is hard to keep up .his thing is almost every thing has to do with money, time ,amounts it is constant I'm so glad to hear that some on else has the t.v thing !! he also can recite his shows he doesn't just tell youa fav. part it is the whole show!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
(female)

ness67 HB User

Ladybuggy02
My son used to have a terrible addiction to playstion 2. I started to limit him to an hour a day, which he found really hard to handle at the beginning, but i stuck to my guns because it wasn't doing him any good. He wasn't interacting with the family and started to get very snappy and impatient with people. Now he has it on after school for and hour and a half but has to play it downstairs. It goes off for tea and takes it to his room. But he doesn't play it up there because he's too busy watching his tv shows he's recorded. I found i needed to be tough with him because i started to think he has to interact with people and cannot go through life with a PS2 controlled attached to his hand. He's really good now, i now just don't stick to a routine with him, he used to get upset if his routine got disturbed but when you think about it when you grow up it's hard to keep a routine because something will always pop up and disrupt it. Now i will say come on we're going out and he'll have a winge but accept he has to go. I used to follow the rules set by the doctors but felt i was wrapping him in cotton wool, and to be honest he seems happier now and fits in better. He still likes structure and his securities and i won't change any of that. It is hard to limit what they enjoy but it's for the best. But i look at it like this, i want Jamie to have a good life and be accepted by people so treat him the same as my other kids and to do that i have to teach him what's acceptable. Like he wants to go to college when he leaves school so myself and his Special needs assistant has taught him that there's no structure at college, they're going to send him there with his SNA for a few days so he can see that it's different than school. I used to think i was being to tough on him, i wouldn't tell him off or anything like that but i'd say if i want us to do something we'll do it and he had to too. (Sorry i'm rambling LOL).

Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

Hi ness67 , Its a relief to hear from some one else that has been through some of this t.v stuff...We homeschool he goes 1 day aweek for like cooking class , computer class (of course lol) and a gym class i love it but i'm finding i'm really over whelmed anything he does he excells its hard to keep up ...was there a certin age that you found things started getting a little easier (with like structure or routines? ) or was it easier to explain the whole picure to him?? any ideas would be great i feel like a prisoner in my house becouse things have to be how he sees them or the tantrums are exhusting and there so constant on things how do you pick and choose what is worth starting to work with first?? what did you find help full?
We were just diag. last month...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #20
(female)

geezermom HB User

My 5 year old son would watch all the time if we let him, then say the lines over and over again. I started a pretty tight schedule about 2 years ago, and its been great - no more arguing, whining, crying for TV when he knows he's not gonna get it.

Right now, Cole only gets TV if he asks for it in a completely grammatically correct way, and than its limited to about 14 hours in a week. I still think that's too much, but we do a lot of educational DVDs.

For all you moms who are thinking of limiting TV, I vote to limit it when they are little so you set the standard for them when they are teens.

I started to do so by saying "sorry, its not TV time" when he'd ask. When the time came to turn the TV off, I'd wait until a particular show (say The Wiggles) was over, and as soon as its credits finished rolling, I'd say "time to turn off the TV. 1...2...3...bye bye TV, see you later". There were tears involved, but its gotten much better now that he knows the schedule.

When he was 3, I'd let him watch DisneyChannel every morning - 7 days a week (he went to preschool 3 days per week) because he woke up really, really early. But I found he'd perseverate the lines from the shows and that was non productive use of his language. He'd also BEG for a DVD every late afternoon...right around the time I'd be ready to cook dinner.

So, as of about 2 years ago, he gets zero TV on weekday mornings (makes it easier on him to leave the house for the bus). On Saturday, his speech therapist comes from 9 - 10, and I let him watch for a little while after she leaves. On Sunday mornings, he can watch for an hour and a half (unless we're going to Sunday school...kind of a rarity, but we're improving).

Twice a week, he has the speech therapist come over after school, so if he asks for it, he gets one hour after she leaves...its always a Leapfrog video or usually something educational.

On the other 5 days of the week, he gets to watch a full length feature, preferably something live action. I've learned from his psychologist that a lot of animation (particularly Japanese animation) is pretty bad for autistic kids...it doesn't connect them to the real world.

You probably don't need this kind of detail, but for those of you who want to start cutting back the tube time, this is how we did it. Cole is doing much better with perseveration now that he's not allowed to see the same movie more than once in three weeks. He loves to read books and play computer programs, but as in watching TV, I'm sitting there with him the whole time. My house needs to be demolished, its so cluttered, but I don't want him in nonreality without a fellow human being with him to experience it with.

Oh, and you could put together a poster, like they use at school...you know, a vertically oriented one where you show the school bus, an icon of kids in a class room, an icon of the bus again, then an icon of a kid swimming/a TV set/a soccer ball....whatever, if you think that'd help your child understand the daily schedule - and when to expect/not expect TV time. Just an idea...we have a monthly icon calendar that really helps us explain holidays, days sick from school vs. weekends.

Hope these ideas may help one of you!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
(female)

ness67 HB User

I totally agree with geezermom you need to make changes when they're young, when they're teens it's tougher. You really do need to cut back on tv, games consoles etc. It's not good, i learnt that and it makes life easier all round when they realise you mean business and don't get what they want all the time. If you try to cut it down you really have to stick to it, don't be worn down by tantrums and emotional blackmail. The minute you back down slightly you have lost control. Kids with AS love nothing more than to take control. But that don't work in the real world.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #22
(female)

Aspergermom HB User

I have a four year old with Aspergers that can recite a movie from start to finish after just watching it a couple of times. He also repeats websites and commericals. Because of this we really like to limit his TV time.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Since I'm almost 19, I grew up in an age before video games and computers were really popular; in fact, I didn't have my first video game until I was nine, and we didn't have the Internet until I was 12, so I didn't become enthralled with them like all kids today (both Aspie's AND neurotypicals) do. I did (and still do) watch a lot of TV, but my mom's a TV addict, too. I totally agree that it's wise to limit video game/TV/computer time, but just remember that reciting movie quotes and memorizing TV shows is a talent that people with Asperger's have, and it shouldn't be inhibited completely...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 05-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I, for one, am glad to have the Internet. Discovering my Internet cat site was a real boon to me as far as making friends. It is so exciting to me to share experiences with fellow cat lovers!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #25

Mausea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspergermom
I have a four year old with Aspergers that can recite a movie from start to finish after just watching it a couple of times. He also repeats websites and commericals. Because of this we really like to limit his TV time.
My 2½ year old is similar. He has been obsessed with Baby Einstein videos since birth practically. He got so bad I had to get rid of them all. Then he switched to the Baby Bumblebee videos so now thoses are out. His new obsession is the Once upon a potty video. Not only does he say it word for word but acts out each part. He's even quoting it in the middle of the night. I have to say though it is too cute when he walks around the house saying "And now, for our feature presentation".

Old 05-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #26
(female)

ness67 HB User

9catmom i have made friends on the web with the jack russell forum, i too am crazy about cats.

I'd love to have a memory like these AS kids, i have to write everything down to remember. I think it's amazing how they remember stuff (jealous too).

Old 05-13-2006, 04:35 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

ness- Yes, the enhanced memory is one of the good things about Asperger's. It saves you a lot of time in school. I'm such a procrastinator from my anxiety, and last year for my anatomy class, we had a test on two diagrams of all the muscles in the body. The rest of the class was studying for hours, and I hadn't picked up the book until the period before the test, and I got 100%. The sad thing is that I can still see the diagrams in my head, and know that the "extensor digitorum longus" was on the far left, about halfway down the page, and that the one part on the right diagram went "teres minor, major" in that order. In the same class, my teacher wanted to show us for the brain unit that your brain can only learn seven new things at one time, which I believe is bull. He put up a list of ten words, and we had ten seconds to memorize as many as we could; I got nine, the most in the class, but I still remember them today because I've recited them so many times. I remember them in the order that I memorized them, which was by sectioning the list: into, complete, function, food (first section- top of list), road, girl, sky (second section- bottom of list), throat, baseball, flower (third section, middle). And I can still see pages in my old textbooks from as far back as ninth grade. It was kind of funny last year because I was stuck in a study hall with these snotty ninth and tenth grade boys instead of being in a senior study hall, and the first week, I was reading, and I heard one of them ask his friend some question, and I just turned around and answered it. Well, they must have gotten a kick out of that, and I became the center of their mockery, which I couldn't have cared less about, but the one day, one of the kids says out loud, "What's the reading on Stalin?" from my tenth grade International Studies book, and I just turn around and say, "11-2." He looks at me with disgust, flips to 11-2, sees that I'm right, and is, like, "How'd YOU know that?" and I said, "Test me. I remember more than that." (I'm not usually arrogant about my Asperger's talents, but with these brats, I couldn't help but be... ) So, that rest of the period, they went about "testing" me, trying to prove that I didn't know what I was talking about. Were they surprised when I knew the answer to "What's the topic of chapter six in the ninth grade Spanish book?" and that I knew that "inflar los globos" ("to inflate the balloons") was one of the vocabulary phrases at the beginning of chapter ten! lol! Anyway, I don't believe that "cramming" isn't an effective studying method; I've never studied for a test any other way. I ALWAYS study the night before, or for a big test, no earlier than three nights before (for example, starting on a Tuesday night for a Friday test), and I can still see the pictures weeks, months, and even years later. I'd be interested to know if any of your Asperger's children have this ability as well. It's very helpful, but it's also a curse in some ways- I keep adding new information, but never discard what's not needed, and the day of a science or history test (this only happens with fact/detail-related subjects), my head physically hurts from all of the information, and all I can see are the pages in the books, the facts zooming by in my head. It will become too much, and if I study any more, I'll just get thoroughly confused. A lot of times, my "test scores don't reflect my amount of studying" as my teachers have often said, and this is because I know the material so incredibly well that I begin to over-analyze it and debate the principles just by the wording of the question. Then I'll get the question wrong just by how I interpreted it. There's a scene in A Beautiful Mind where Nash goes to the Pentagon to break one of the Russian codes, and they use special effects of some sort to light up the numbers on the wall to show how he sees patterns in his mind, and after awhile, you see him with his head literally swimming, and muttering the numbers to himself, utterly confused because he understands it so well, and it all becomes muddled, like his brain processes too much at one time. That's how I feel a lot of the time I'm studying for a test...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 05-13-2006 at 04:37 AM.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Ness67,

Jack Russells are great dogs. My cat site is devoted primarily to the Siamese and related breeds, such as the Oriental Shorthair, but it is an all pet site.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #29
(female)

Aspergermom HB User

Mausea, My child did that also at 21/2 with him it was A Blues Clues movie. Then he would change about every month and be on something different. Now we have been stuck on Shrek for about six months! Even though we havent watched it in a while. We tell him he is out of Shrek minutes, it works for a little while.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #30
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

My son is almost 4 and he has autism he does the same thing. the moment he wakes up in the morning his show has to be on over and over til he falls asleep watching it. He doesnt watch it 24-7 but he goes ion nand out throughout the day and it has to be on. every few weeks it will swich from show to show.

Closed Thread