It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

Aspergermom HB User
Asperger's and a High IQ

I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who has an Asperger's child who also has a high IQ and is labeled as Autisic and intelectually gifted. He is four and his grade equvilency is Third Grade.
We are about to go to Knidergarten, any help would be appreicated.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: Asperger's and a High IQ

In first grade, I was reading at a fifth grade level. On I.Q. tests taken online, I test within the 120-140 range. I wouldn't call myself gifted, but I was very strong in academics, especially English and other areas involving reading and study. Social skills were difficult for me.

Good luck to your son. He sounds very smart. I hope you can find a curriculum that is appropriately challenging for him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

Aspergermom HB User

9CatMom,
You sound alot like my son. We feel really good about the school where he is going to go. He is very strong in reading and memorizing facts, abstact things he does not know very well. Reading seems to come easier than the math. He also has issues with social skills, 90% of his conversation is what he sees in movies and on TV. It is stated on his IEP that he remain in the kindergarten classroom whenever possible and they will adapt his work to his level.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Aspergermom,

Your son's strengths and weaknesses are identical to my own. I was strong in reading, English, and languages, and relatively weak in math, although I still managed to do all right in that area. Social skills were my weak area, although that is improving too. Good luck to you and your son.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
(male)

User notknown HB User

Intellectually Gifted Biggest mistake I made here in the UK @ age 11 we were separated and I was swallowed up by an education system that was a personal nightmare..........Years later found why IQ of near 140..plus Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder....Yeah, brilliant @ some things but it all balances out and for goodness sake don`t push your kid PS. I`m over 50 years old now

Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
(female)

momof4boys HB User

My son is just leaving kindergarten and was recently diagnosed with asperger's. His IQ is 137. (tested by psychologist)
He has no problems with academics except for writing(fine motor skills)
With peers though he has problems. He could be doing the same work as the older kids and move up a grade or two but I don't know if that would cause a problem even more socially?
I guess what I'm saying is that each child is different. We are all learning by trial and error. Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I think almost all Asperger's kids are extremely intelligent; I know that I've always been ahead of the kids my age. I learn differently than most, though, especially with math and visual-spatial skills. This is what I struggle in because I have trouble "seeing" it, but I've always been above the rest with language and memorization, two things that really define Asperger's. I taught myself how to read at age four... Anyway, I'm really upset that I can barely go on here anymore because of my job at my amusement park. I'm only allowed to go on the computers for twenty minute intervals at the rec center at the dorms; I miss talking with all of you! I'm trying to see if I can transfer over into the "handicap info" department so I can answer questions solely on height restrictions and disabilities relating to the rides and roller coasters, the things that are my fixations. I'm enjoying my job, but I hate the people I work with and the environment that I work in because of the people, but is that really a surprise?! Hopefully, I'll be able to talk with you guys more. Keep in touch!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 05-30-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

IQ is a sensative subject for me. At the age of 10 I was tested at 145 level. By the time I was 16 I was still above average, but at 18 I fall right at average. The thing for me though, I have a disorder that kills my cognitive skills and thought process (not pertaining to Autism).

I, like gatsby, am the same way with learning...always have been. My math skills are horrible, like her, I can't "see it". But my memory is amazing. But unlike her, I am horrible at language. It is just hard for me to learn (is that un-autistic for me? heh).

So IQ is different for everybody. Me? I have trouble tieing my shoes (dont laugh) but I still can express thoeries on how the mind works. It's just how I am.

And Gatsby...I miss you! Haha. I hope you do get transferred to where you want to be. Hope you get back here soon.

SGH

Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, SuchGreatHeight! Guess what? I just came home today! Turns out that the job wasn't fitted for my "special needs." Really what started it was that, on Wednesday, my supervisor came me this stupid piece of paper that said I had an "unsatisfactory work performance" and that I was giving "incorrect information" on the phone and was "reluctant to use all avaliable sources of information, including asking a supervisor." What made me laugh, though, was that it said this at the end: "Try to be friendly with all of the customers, not just those with questions about rides and other things that you find interesting." Doesn't that just scream "Asperger's"?! I was planning on coming home on July 8th anyway, but reading that sentence was the catalyst, and that just made me mad, so I bluntly told the supervisor, "I have Asperger's. Do you know what that is? (Of course the answer was "no"...) People with it tend to memorize tons of information about certain things, and we can't feign interest about things that we don't care about." The whole situation just makes me laugh, though, because I hated the people there anyway. The reason why I didn't transfer to handicap info is because you couldn't just answer calls. Oh, no, you had to do other things that the Park Operation department was responsible for like cashing checks and measuring children. Handling money and worrying that I didn't do it right? Measuring kids and worrying that I didn't do it right, and that they'd get hurt on the ride? No thanks. It just seems like there wasn't a "perfect" job for me because there was always something. Like, I would have adored doing the "spiel" for the ride platforms where you give the facts about the ride and say things like, "Keep your hands, arms, and legs inside the train at all time," but of course you had to check lap bars and actually operate the ride, and that would've put my obsession over killing people into high gear. Plus, the ride operators have to clean up puke, and puke is something that I can't handle. Oh, well. I got to ride for three weeks straight, and I became good friends with another girl who worked at the same office I did who also hates the people. Oh, and as a side note, I had such trouble tying my shoes as a child!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-11-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Brandiof4 HB User

We are in the same spot! I have a non verble boy who will be 5 in a week. I went to his IEP meeting which came to the conclusion he is high functioning I know he is very smart in schoolastic stuff, but putting him in with normal kindergarten He bables words constantly but doesn't use words to communicate. I don't know! I guess all we can do is try, then in a month or two have another meeting about if he should continue, I think they may just figure it's not agood idea after 1 day!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Oh my! I can't believe that supervisor! I suppose though, not everybody can understand. But heh, I agree, that does scream "Asperger"!

It actually sounds like things worked out for the best though. Im with you on wondering if I could handle that kind of responsiblity. Being responsable for those kinds of things? No way

SGH

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 06-12-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ha! I know! The whole situation is just so damn hilarious to me! I'm sooo taking that form with me to show my new Asperger's therapist this September!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

That is a really good idea Good luck!

SGH

Old 06-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Gatsby,

That job sounds like a nightmare to me for the exact same reasons you described. The fear of doing something wrong would worry me too, and cleaning up barf sounds nasty. I can handle cat barf, but not people barf.

Closed Thread