It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

michellemac1 HB User
Question Aspergers And Down Syndrome Any Experience???

hello I am a teacher if a student who has down syndrome and aspergers she is 5 and I am wanting any ideas on experiences that will help promote language, she uses single words occasionally like "up" and "help" etc but the last few months she has regressed with her language and we are unsure why. SHe is quite stubborn when not wanting to do somethings but her concentration has improved so much, any ideas on teaching strategies and activities???

Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

xbadmagicx HB User
Re: Aspergers And Down Syndrome Any Experience???

Hi,
My brother had DS and Autistic aspects (he is now 19) I can't really provide much useful advice as we are very close on age...and were therefore both learning to speak at the same time (we both attended speech therapey) when we were little both my brother and i were taught Sign Language to aid communication, it really helped, especially my brother. and from what i have been told from my parents he picked it up really quickly, dispite some signs being unclear because of the odd hand shape. Maybe this would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

islandgal62 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Aspergers And Down Syndrome Any Experience???

Hello, Use photos of the different words used often. ie: a kid handing another kid a toy: share. A kid climbing the slide stairs: up, etc. This has worked at our house. Have them in a book that can be sent home so parents can reinforce the word and idea. Go outside and practice going up the stairs and say "up", get her to repeat, etc. I love that you as a teacher, have asked this great question - we need more like you!! Thanks!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

MrsBlack HB User

I have lots of experience, but not what you are looking for. My son is on the autism spectrum and my daughter has down syndrome.

I have no idea what a combination of the two would be like.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

bercol1 HB User

My son has asd and my cousin has a little Downs boy and the method for promoting language is very different for both of them.

However I have met lots of Autistic children (excluding my son ) and lots of Downs kids that use sign both Makaton and signalong.
This not only teaches children to communicate through sign but research shows that it also promotes speech too.

Closed Thread