It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

sallzyx HB User
Speech ? for parents of children w/Aspergers

Hi,
My ds (2 1/2) has hypotonia. I suspect he has Aspergers because we suspect that my husband has it.

Ds talks about certain things for hours on end, will not interact with or acknowledge someone unless they are talking about one of his interests, doesn't like anyone to say his name, does not like unfamiliar places with lots of movement or noise...

Our ped said that he is too young to be diagnosed with AS, which is driving me nuts.
We decided to pay for PT ourselves until we can get an evaluation from our regional center, which we are still waiting on.

Anyway, my question is this:

I read that people with AS can confuse pronouns "you" and "I," which my husband has done on rare occaisions. I am wondering what that looks like in young children?

Ds will say, "I'll read you a book" when he wants me to read him a book.
Instead of "I want juice," he says "You want juice."
He will use the exact phrase that he hears being said to him.

I know he is just learning to speak (well, he's been talking for 1 1/2 years now), but I have never heard anyone else's child do this.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
(female)

JeepMom HB User
Re: Speech ? for parents of children w/Aspergers

My 6 year old son, who has Aspergers, doesn't have any issues with the use of pro-nouns. However, his voice is very monotone and it doesn't change pitch or show any inflection regardless of the conversation. His tone is just flat. He also doesn't conversate back and forth with you. If you ask him a question, he typically answers yes or no and immediately reverts back to what HE wants to discuss (usually some type of fact based thing that interests him). There is no give and take in conversing with him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Brandiof4 HB User

Hi there, My ped. said he didn't think my son had ASD, and now that he is 5 and still doesen't use his words to communicate, my DR. says I don't think he is, but if you want the lable ASD to get services, I guess that is OK, never mind the fact he was diagnosed by two other dr.s as being full blown ASD! Anyways only Mothers seem to know at this age. I have a 2 year old and he knows how to use I,me,you he, and she. But he will sometimes still copy me and say hold you or help you, when he means Me. If he understands and uses language you have alot to work with. Don't worry yourself really!!! Just take time to work with him, If he enjoys telling stories like my five year old, who cannot break focus from his own thoughts (very normal), Write a story down as he is telling it about himself with his name as the main caracter then read his story back to him saying his name many times. make up funny songs with his name in it, or you can let him pick out a doll or stuffed animal and look at the tag and say, oh my gosh this bear has the same name as you how great is that! For loud noises if he likes the park your in luck, if not you can hide his favorite thing to play with for a few days when he starts to miss it, take him to that noisey place and say, look what I found here! Your toy must like this place. I believe it is all about exposer- The way I look at it is, I better put up with the tantrums now because the clock is ticking and 8 years old will come before you know it and that is too big for out burst!! Patience and the fallow through- the two hardest things of parenting.

Last edited by Brandiof4; 05-31-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

Tina81980 HB User

My 5 year old with Aspergers doesn't confuse I & you, but his sentences always start with me. Like "Me want to play game" and "Me want something to drink" We have found that "saying What did you say?" He will say "Oh I mean I" Now this may not work with your son being so young, but maybe you could find some other way of getting him to say things right.
Tina

Closed Thread