It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
(female)

lisawilliams HB User
benifits for children with aspergers

hi everyone
my daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with aspergers in 2003 since then we have tried to get her statmented thruogh school to no avail, and just last year was turned down for any benifits or allowances that we applied for. Is there any one else out there who have had this problem or even have you managed to get financial support ie discounts to theme parks and days out , its just a little bit annoying when someone i know has a child with dispraxia and gets everything for free couse if i'm correct its comes under autistic spectrum and every one should be treated the same as all children are intitled to have fun too regardless of how much money their parents earn and in my case thats not a lot.
please post any veiws you have on this matter or any advise you can give , would be much appreciated.
thanks lisa

Last edited by lisawilliams; 06-07-2006 at 03:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

pingu06 HB User
Re: benifits for children with aspergers

hi
replied to other question also.My son has ASD and severe challenging behaviour and we were made to go to tribunal for his DLA.You really have to keep going and dont let the DLA get away with refusing financial help.You always have to base everything on your worst day ever because if you dont they will see this a s awa y of getting out of helpingh you.NAS are very good and so is DIAL which is a disability service which can help you with the financial stuff.I know of people who get full rate DLA for just having a bad kknee makes me so mad......

Last edited by pingu06; 06-07-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Brandiof4 HB User

My child is full blown case of Autisum and I feel very angry that services basically stop after 3 years of age! When he was diagnosed a 2 years old I thought my regional center was great then they stopped the in home and out of home speech, I pay for one session and my medical insurence pays for 2, Far Northern will only pay for 1 session a month during the summer when he is not going to school and I really had to fight for it! I think it's awful! I think it is very important to keep these kids with at least one Therapist for years and someone who works with the family- there are people out there that do this but unfortunatlly you need $$$$$$$$$$. I would be happier with the schools speech therapist if he had the same one throughout his school years. but insted they switch him to someone that has to get to know him all over again- huge set backs!!!

What is- DLA, NAS, DIAL

Old 06-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

You all need to move to PA. Everything is covered. The only thing I have had to pay for out of pocket was my deductable for insurance for ST. He was dx 2 yrs ago @ 4 w/ HFA/AS. I'm currently going to renew the eval for ADHD/ADD.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

lisawilliams HB User

hi all thanks to those who replied it was very helful and is nice to know im not alone. what is D I A L and does anyone have contact details for this.

thanks again lisa

Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
(female)

Mummy Bear HB User

HI
I get DLA for my son but not without a fight. It went to tribunal and we won! Its due to be renewed again in 2007 and i know we wont get it again as the school says hes so "normal" and alot is based on the school report that they ask for.
Have you tried Family Fund trust? They are good, and you can apply for days out, hoildays, bedding, toys, washing machine ect. I appiled 5 years ago and got driving lessons and help towards a hoilday and you can apply every year. Look under family fund in search engine and it should come up.
It seems the UK is the worst place to live if you have a child with ASD. We have never been offered any thearapy, counciling, support groups, just told no funding sorry and get on with it !!!!!!!!!
Keep smiling !
Kathryn

Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
(female)

lisawilliams HB User

hi all lisa here thanks for all your postings
especially to cathryn id just like to say yes your right the uk is the worst for helping you out and hats off to all the support groups that try their hardest to help. but where it matters we are bassically told that unless your already on income support or other bennifits you will get nothing regardless of your circumstances and that makes me so cross and upset becouse every asd child deserves a better outlook on life regardless of whether you can afford it or not, thats not all when you have other siblings it puts pressure on them also. i would love to take them everywhere but with rising prices on whatever is out there i feel i just cant afford it even though it would be nice to take them all away from the stresses and strains it puts on every member of the family who copes with having an aspergers family member.
thanks again all i feel better now ( i think)

lisa

Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Shoot all of you should move to New York City . Incredible services and I haven't paid a dime yet and he's elligible for services up until eighteen. Of course there are yearly reviews but I've recently gotten my son into a school where it's an integrated class and he'll recieve services at school and a bus to and from and it's all free. COME MOVE TO NYC once you get through the intial BS the services are great.

Closed Thread