It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

lisawilliams HB User
aspergers childrens parents in sutton area

Hi all
I have an 11 year old doughter with aspergers is there any one in the sutton or mitcham area who also have asp child about same age would like to hear from you about different veiws and obsticals you may have come across.

love to hear from you
lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: aspergers childrens parents in sutton area

I'm almost 19 and I have been recently diagnosed with Asperger's, so if you'd like to talk with me, let me know about any questions you may have! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User

Hi, i live in the Reigate area and have a 13 yr old daughter with asd. I am happy to help in anyway i can or just to chat and tell you anything i can to help.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

lisawilliams HB User
Thumbs up Re: aspergers childrens parents in sutton area

hi willowthewisp
I would just like to know how you coped with your daughter going to secondry school, as i am finding it very dounting even though i know the school she is going to is a good one

lisa :

Old 06-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

Hi Lisa, i'm hope im allowed to reply to you here, as the previous post said we could not chat but this is answering to your problem so i should be ok. Im afraid to say we had a bad time at senior school, Juniour school was fine because it is all sorted out for you, but at senior school you have to sort yourself out, each lesson is in a different classroom when at juniors all lessons are in the same room. The teachers had made allowances for my daughter in juniors if she had any problems but seniors made NO allowances. She had a terrible time, got bullied badly because she could not understand other peoples body language etc. She did not cope with lunchtime as all 1,300 children went to lunch at the same time and that frightened her somuch she stopped eating. But please remember this does not mean that your child will have problems, she may get on fine, my child did not have a statement so got no help in class, there are lots of kids with asd that attend senior school and get on fine with a bit of help and are really happy. My child has now not attended school for 14 months where she could just not cope with the whole senior school scenario. There is many more things i would like to tell you that might help but it says we are not allowed to swap any personal details, if we were allowed i would give you my email address so i could help more. I had to eventually ask for a statement for my child, ( junior school said she did not need one) senior school cannot believe she did not already have one, and we have now won our statement and she is going to start at a special school this coming septmber. Life has been very difficult waiting to get this statement and having my child at home this long. My child is bright and has no education problems at all, she is very clever but it is her social side that is badly affected and that is why she won her statement.
willow

Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
(female)

lisawilliams HB User

hi willow the wisp
thankyou ever sp much for your imput and yes it is a shame i cant contact you.
id just like to say that most aspergers children are not statmented becouse of their high iqs but i do believe that the outline of statements should change becouse if they suffer due to lack of social skills then its obvious that thier education will suffer in the end but i will fight for my doughter to get a statment
as i feel it will help her in the long run as she is very ambisious and i want to help her all the way.
please keep sending info and i will carry on chatting to you through the forume

regards lisa

Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Willow,

Good luck to your daughter. She sounds very smart and I hope things go well for her. I have been reading the biography of runner Roger Bannister and he describes his own struggles with school growing up. He was very intelligent (he became a physician, specializing in neurology), but he was very shy. Some of the things he described sounded a great deal like Asperger's. He must have been very smart and had incredible coping skills to overcome his own school difficulties and excel in all aspects of his life. He is the inspiration for me. I will never become like him, but I can improve my own life.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

good luck to you all.
My child has had 3 or 4 sort of tester days at her special school and loved it, i am so pleased. I will be frank and say that senior school was the most terrible experience for us all as a family, it was an awful time. I cant wait to have a nornmal life back because i have not had a noral life for over 18 months now. i am going back to work part time the week after she goes back to school and hopefully things will all be fine. Do let me know how things go.
willow

Closed Thread