It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

sallzyx HB User
opinions from parents of Asperger's kids

My son started twisting his wrists, opening and closing his hands, repeating himself, and singing in a very loud and frantic voice today because he was overwhelmed.

We went swimming with the neighborhood kids, and he doesn't like the pool. When he got wet, he started to act really wierd. His eyes were darting all over the place and he started doing these really wierd things.

I have never seen him do any of this before. (He is 2 yrs, 7 mos) I was kind of freaked out by it. I know he has sensory issues and social anxiety, but I don't really know what to make of this. Is this common for AS?

Old 07-22-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User
Re: opinions from parents of Asperger's kids

He was over stimulated and working it through the best way he knew how. It is very common for ASD kids to act differently in situations that overwhelm them. You just need to find a way to redirect the behavior when it's happening. Pull him away from the water and wrap him in his towel and apply deep pressure to his body with squeezes ( hugs ). Redirect the singing by singing with him at an appropriate level bringing his attention to you and he may copy it. He just needs to release all this energy his brain is giving off due to the overstimulation.

There is a great book called The Out of Sync Child which talks a lot about the sensory stuff our kids go through. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it already.

He is still very young and will learn how to cope better as he gets older but in the mean time the key is just constant redirection and giving him a more appropriate outlet for the release of that energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: opinions from parents of Asperger's kids

Ugh. Swimming and getting wet in general doesn't go well for me. It's probably my main sensory issue associated with my Asperger's. Even getting a shower is difficult, but swimming's the worst because you have that disgusting chlorinated water, the smell of which makes me gag... I don't know how to swim, and I doubt I'll ever learn. You're very lucky that you know that your son has Asperger's at such a young age. I didn't find out until this February/March, and my 19th birthday's in a couple of weeks. There's been so many wasted years and so many arguments with my mother because neither one of us knew what was wrong. No matter how frustrating raising an Aspie might be, you are fortunate in the aspect that you learned from early on and could start treatment as soon as possible. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread