It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: I have a 31 yr old son with Autism/Aspergers...hope this info helps

I am right-handed, and so is everyone in my immediate family. My niece is left-handed.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
(female)

DJW HB User

9CatMom!

You are blowing my left-handed theory! Actually - I read about the lefthanded/autism relation a while ago...so it isn't my theory...

Oh well....I guess I can wait for more responses and see what they reveal...

My son writes with his left hand and cuts with scissors with his right. I wonder if he learned this during occupational therapy in his early years?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I have learned that I am atypical of many people with AS. My testing results, according to tests I have taken on the Internet, put me at a mild degree of Asperger's. I am somewhere in between NT (neurotypical) and AS. I still feel that I have some of the major indicators of Asperger's, namely social shyness and interests atypical both in type and intensity.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #19
(female)

DJW HB User

9CatMom,

If there's anything I've learned in all of this - it's that there is no such thing as "normal". There is no list to go by that would identify "normal" traits or behavior in humans. We are all just too complex! We aren't cut with a cookie cutter.
Yes - there are some behaviors that are destructive, some that are quirky..but those can be found in just about anyone.

You have what I consider to be "gifts". I don't considered my son's aspergers to be a negative condition. He doesn't either! Socializing is way over rated! To be able to have an intense interest in anything is wonderful! We all wish we had the ability!

You are a wonderful and complex person and you've done well for yourself. I think it's great that you visit these boards and share your history with others. Autism and Aspergers can seem so hopeless and frightening to parents. They need to see that there is hope and there are many like you and my son out there!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

DJW,

Thank you for the kind words. Good luck to you and your son.

Closed Thread