It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Could it be Aspergers?

The personality switching thing sounds like me! My mom has told me that many times: "One minute you're miserable, and then the next minute you're giddy!" I was (and am) a very difficult child to raise. My mom is so strong... I am very moody. It has lessened greatly since I've been put on the mood stabilizer, Lamictal, but still, I go into my random fits. I'll just suddenly be upset and yell at people, but then, two minutes later, I'm out of it, laughing. I've always been like that. The obsessive interests thing is what defines my Asperger's. Even though I don't have severe social deficits, anybody who knows anything about Asperger's could diagnose me just by knowing about my fixations.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #47
(female)

lisabad HB User

My daughter has no 'obsessions', she just has a love of animals which i consider normal.
She only eats certain foods, will only drink water, a good thing!-she hates the texture of gravy, jelly and custard as she says she can't 'bite into it'.
Will not let me touch her if i have wet hands.
Always has to have a toy with her whereever we go- has even hid them in her knickers to take one to school!
Any more questions i can help with? feel free to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #48
(female)

sross24 HB User

lisabad,

How is her personality? Does she switch from kind to evil in the matter of moments? At what age was she diagnosed with Aspergers? Does she have a lot of difficulty in school? Actually, I'm really interested to hear your whole story, if you are up to sharing. I really feel like my daughter is more Aspergers than PDD-NOS. How are your daughters social skills? My daughter is initially great on the onset. But then she overwhelms the kids too much by being too silly or too loud, and the kids shy away from that. She also has a difficult time reading social cues.

Thanks for your help.

-Steph

Old 08-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #49
(female)

lisabad HB User

Happy to help if i can. she was diagnosed in july but it took a while to get that as i knew soon after she started school there was something 'wrong'.she is 7 in november. She can be lovely one minute and then change like the weather. Anything starts her off, she is like jekyll&hyde, but she does get easily frustrated over things. If she has anything to say she MUST SAY IT NOW!!!which often gets her into trouble at school.
It can be difficult as she hasn't got any visual signs that she is different so if she is 'on one' as i call it, people just see her as a brat, but i know different.
Many a times i have phsically carried her out of places as she wouldn't leave, a bit embarrasing at times!
SOCIAL SKILLS: she will play with other children but shes not actually taking any notice of them, hard to explain really. She just plays by the side of them, enjoys her own company.
She finds reading and writing difficult, she can do it but most of the time she doesn't want to.
I was told that she cant sound out words C-A-T ,D-O-G,if you know what i mean and has to learn to remember the whole word ? I find this hard to explain sorry.
She will keep on,on ,on,on,on, if anyone is having a talk and she wants to say something, v.annoying, v.embarrasing, but you can tell her everyday, allday and she still does it!!!
Is that ok for now, think of anything else and i will answer your questions, bye.lisa.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisabad- Many Aspies are hyperlexic, meaning that they learn to read very early, but it's mostly just memorization of the words with little to no comprehension. That's how I was. I couldn't sound out words, either. I just knew that "cat" meant "cat" and that "C-A-T" spelt "cat," but if you gave me a word I didn't know how to say, I would have no idea where to begin on the pronounciation. I'd just hear the correct way and memorize it. I find your description of your daughter very interesting- I can see a lot of similarities between her and myself...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #51
(female)

lisabad HB User

That sounds better coming from you! thats how my daughter is . She cannot read though, but if you read her a story once or twice she will remember it word for word so it looks to others that she can read!
shes just remembering it and if you pointed a word out she wouldn't know what it was!
Im glad you posted!Any more tips please let me know, anyways i can help her with her reading/spelling?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #52
Senior Veteran
(female)

I taught myself how to read at age four, so I've always been quite precocious in the realm of reading. I was, however, a horrible speller as a child. I, like many hyperlexic Aspies, knew the beginning and ending letter, but the inside letters were all jumbled up. I was good at spelling for tests, though, because it was memorization. Around third grade, my abilities switched, and I became very good at spelling- I was in the advanced spelling class. Ever since then, I've been (what I consider) an excellent speller, as well as being good in the rules of grammar. The latter comes from an inherent ability to just know that proper grammar "feels right," but for the more advanced principles, it, too, is memorization. While learning Spanish grammar, an obsessive fixation of mine, I'd note where commas were supposed to go and that certain words should be in quotations and such. I paid more attention to it in Spanish for some reason. It's natural now, but I really just have it memorized from seeing "patterns" that were written down. The funny thing is that I have discovered that I'm hyperlexic in Spanish. I can read and write fine because it's "rules" and requires the memorization of grammatical structure and vocabulary, but I cannot use what I know in a conversation... Do you have any more questions?
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread