It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

worm HB User
Aspergers in 8 year old boy?

My 8 year old was diagnosed with being severe adhd by a child psych. pretty much because he has had symptoms since birth. I was wondering if he might be aspergers as he has many sensory issues as well. Some of his symtoms are:

-history of ear inf., sinus infc. respiratory inf., hernia operation, still gets croup to the point of being hospitalized,preemie,
apgars were 0 at 1 and 3 minutes, born cyanotic, inconsolable as infant, cried most of the time as infant up to about 3 years, not delayed in language in fact has above average language and large motor skills (i.e. could ride two wheeler at 3 years);
-facial ticks
-cried upon waking and going to sleep, night terrors, "everything" is an issue
-big anxiety over writing stuff down; like to learn by me reading to him and he answers the questions verbally; gets in the 90% doing his work this way.
-needs to see the "whole" picture to learn something, i.e. I had to make him a calendar that was circular so he could see that winter actually turned back into summer, december turned into january, etc.
-avoids tying shoes, buttons, doesn't like tags, likes heavy blankets, likes his weighted vest, hides in small spaces when over stimulated, avoid sunlight if possible, chews everything, very picky eater, some hearing sensitivities.
-when he asks me a question he repeats it over and over even though I have answered it.
-not very good at memorizing rote
-trouble with time
-trouble spelling past 3 or 4 letter words
-sees "inpictures"
-tries to avoid eating utensils
-aggressive in that he seeks out hard/heavy touch
-makes lots of nonsense words and noises above normal tone especially whenwe are in the mall or the van
-being in crowds makes him very hyper and "unreachable"
-sensory seeking
-always telling his sister how she should do stuff and mad if she doesn't do it his way
-likes to bounce and roll on exercise ball and does this while I school him
-spontaneous outbursts
-drove his bike right into a moving car
-easily frustrated
-potty trained at 4 and a half

I home school him, but I have a teaching assistant that comes to my home twice a week, his "overseeing special needs teacher" thinks he is probably aspergers and that there is definitely something more going on than adhd

What do you think?
Sorry this is so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Aspergers in 8 year old boy?

It may be, but what jumped out at me is that he has trouble with rote memorization. That's usually a very pronounced Aspie skill. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feell free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I agree with Gatsby. Memorization is one of my main strengths too. Much of what you describe does sound like Asperger's.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

worm HB User

I am not exactly sure about the rote memorization, a psychologist said this from a test she did. He does know his numbers and his alphabet. He only seems to be able to understand something if he sees the "whole" picture.
He definitely does his spelling by memorization and not phonetically.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
(male)

coulditbeTD HB User

I saw a special last night on Autism on CNN. Symptons include a loud tone, nonsensual outbursts, looking confused when being spoken to, looking away when emotions are involved. Unable to express facial emotions. Not being able to communicate without help. This lady was a grown woman though.

An example : Autistic woman approaches ticket counter and asks for tickets in a loud tone with a blank facial expression, Ticket guy takes her money and hands her the tickets, Autistic woman looks back at the "Parental figure" then down and the floor and tries to walk off, and needs encouragment to reach and get the Tickets off of the counter.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
(female)

sross24 HB User

Some of the things you described sound like NLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder). This diagnosis is not well known about, and is very closely related to Aspergers. I would do a little research on it and see what you think.

-Steph

Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
(female)

worm HB User

ended up that he was diagnosed with nvld. Very close to aspbergers. He also has dysgraphia (needs a computer to write), which would help him, but he cannot initiate his own ideas to write anyway. Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread