It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
(male)

drisnya HB User
Son- 10 yo w Asperger's

i'm going to try to compact a lot of details about our lives with our ten year old to sort of touch bases in context with alot of other threads here:

my son is 10, in fifth grade at a good catholic school....in second grade some teachers were concerned w his behavior and transitioning tasks...we noticed some behaviors...he just seemed off; strange sort of...rather ***arre and off-topic. he had a throat clearing tic as well...

we had him tested and his IQ was very high; 135 but the dr said since he had issues transitioning from one thing to another so this number was probably low....well, he had that going for him...asperger's was the dx...

we resisted medicating him for over a year....he just had too much trouble in school and as he encountered more complex social situations he was challenged...we exhausted every alternative and we caved and he responded very well....

since then for over two years now he has been on 1 mg risperdal at night and 25 mg strattera in the am...he is about 5' tall now and is 65 lbs....he is very full of energy, does eat well and looks emaciated. this is my primary concern with this post. risperdal was to "quiet" things a bit..settle his thinking a bit so you can actually have a somewhat clear conversation with him...the strattera was to keep him on task....

i think overall he is doing well....socially we never treated him any differently since we didn't really notice anything unusual until it hit us squarely betw the eyes in school...he is very much a people person and has some challenges around "new" kids...his old friends are fine and that is his comfort zone (for now)....he's been in daycare since infancy and i believe that this has helped him socially...

school tasks come very easily for him...he has almost an inhuman ability to focus on something he sets his mind to...this is good and bad...

i could type on for hours about my son but i guess i'm at a crossroads...i'm concerned w his weight...his psychiatrist is as well....his therapist is too but he sees some promise since he is very happy, has lots of friends and school work comes easy...

i guess for others here my wife and i have been dealing with this for a while. don't beat yourselves up over using the tv as a surrogate on occasion; you can't redo what is done and it wouldn't have made a difference if you raised him/her in a vegan hippie commune....

i'm concerned here about the meds....my son is helped alot by the meds. you can follow his thinking and he yours...are there alternatives to risperdal? i think he is effected metabolically and this is worrisome...i think the med doing this is the strattera but i'm not sure...the psych isn't sure so blood work is pending...he hasn't had blood work since he's been on the meds. i want him off the strattera since i think this MAY up the metabolism...

my son isn't sickly at all...i can't remember the last ear infection,virus etc...one day missed last school year w a short-term viral infection...fever spike gone the next day....

this gives a very rambling background on our situation...if you want to respond i can share additional perspective w you all...i think i can help somewhat...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: Son- 10 yo w Asperger's

Your son sounds very smart to me. He sounds quite a bit like I was in school. I was a good student, but also had trouble with some transitions. I remember going to these activities called "learning centrers," which really, in my opinion, had nothing to do with academics. I had no patience for anything in school that wasn't strictly academic. I did well in academic subjects and I, too, can focus on things for a long time. This was great when I was studying, but not so good when I was engaged in one of my little obsessions.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I would bet on the Strattera as the cause of the weight loss as well. I'm wondering what would happen if a gradual taper were done on that med. Maybe by reducing the dose somewhat, there will still be some benefit with less effect on appetite & metabolism.

You might also question whether a slight reduction in the risperadal might reduce the need for the stimulant.

Kids vary immensely in how meds affect them. My own son, at age 15 yo & 190 lbs (big, tall dude) lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks on Strattera at 3 mg. (80 mg was the rec. dose for his size) -- due to vomitting, nausea, complete loss of appetite, and "feeling wired night and day." It was definitely not the drug for him.

Best wishes.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
(male)

drisnya HB User

my son takes his risperdal at night and is ravenous when he wakes up....he is starving and shoves food in his mouth like he hasn't eaten in a week....

after he eats breakfast he gets his strattera and that diminishes; doesn't kill it, just diminishes, his appetite throughout the day....like a typical kid he'll eat some junk but he demonstrates his amazing focus and he won't eat anything additional outside a modest lunch....you have to pile his plates high because he won't go for seconds. he's not a picky eater...i'm leaning toward the strattera as well...

risperdal maintains "normal", coherent affect so unless there is an alternative i guess we're stuck w that...thanks for the input...

Closed Thread