It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

1boy4me HB User
Aspergers & Bi Polar??

I have strongly felt that my son may be Bi Polar. He has a lot of the symptoms at times, and can switch moods like a light switch - especially at school.

Does anybody have a child on a mood stabilizer? My son currently takes Risperdal and Zoloft. That is it.

I am taking him to the doctor to look into a mood stabilizer for him, for his mood swings.

Does anybody have a child on or have any experience with Tegertol or Lamictil? My son will be 10 in December.

Thanks so much!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Re: Aspergers & Bi Polar??

My 9 year old is not autistic. However, he is bipolor. He has been on Lamictal for about 8 months. It has been a wonderful drug for him. He is a very rapid cycler and his moods were very extreme. He still cycles but the highs and lows are not so extreme.

The Lamicatal works even better when he takes his omega-3 fish oils and amino acids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'm a 19-year-old, newly-diagnosed Aspie. I was diagnosed in March, but I started taking Lamictal last November. It was the suggestion of the psychiatrist here at my college. He wanted to help my "mood swings." I was reluctant to take it at first because it's typically a bipolar drug, and I knew I wasn't bipolar, but I did start it because I thought I might have been cyclothymic, a very, very mild form of bipolar disorder. My psychiatrist and PCP thought the same. It turns out that the Lamictal helped with the Asperger's, which I didn't know I had yet. Lamictal has been absolutely wonderful! It has helped immensely with "changing moods like a light switch," as you said. I have a strong suspicion that it probably isn't bipolar disorder because your son has Asperger's and changes moods so quickly. That's what didn't add up to be cyclothymia in my case- the moods were over so rapidly. Also, many symptoms of childhood bipolar disorder are symptoms of Asperger's, and childhood bipolar disorder is relatively rare. It is quite possible that your son has both, but I'd say that it probably is the Asperger's. One way to really tell is to watch when his mood swings occur. Are they provoked by a situation? If so, then it most likely isn't bipolar disorder. The moods in a bipolar person are pervasive and don't change because of an outside stimuli. For example, I can literally go from being calm to lashing out at my mother within a minute, and I often don't understand why, but it almost always is because of a sensory issue, some abrupt change, or me not being able to finish something. My mom understands this better now, and has been much more patient with me, so our fights have been lessened. She knows that she has to warn me ahead of time when I'll have to do something, or I'll just throw a fit. I can't have her randomly say, "Go do such-and-such." She has to say, "I want you to do such-and-such in ten minutes." Without that, I'll just start talking nastily and fighting. The Lamictal has also helped with my general irritation of people. I still hate being around people, especially my peers, but it's gotten better. I can tolerate it more now and don't have nearly as much physical irritation as I once did. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

1boy4me HB User

That is one thing I am iffy about. He behaves fine at home. Has occasional meltdowns and tantrums. But at school he behaves completely opposite. He does not like the noise and chaos that school involves. And I think he is provoked by all of the situations there.

I am so completely lost when it comes to this. I cannot observe and let him know when he is misbehaving at school because I am not there.

He actually hit a teacher, and to me that is unacceptable.

We have a doctor appt tomorrow, and a psych appt on Tuesday, so I guess we will wait and see what they have to say.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Someone bipolar wouldn't be able to control their mood at home and school. Aspies act out in certain scenarios. I'm the complete opposite of your son- perfect angel at school, have outbursts at home.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User

Our 7 year old with Asperger's behaves the opposite. At school he is a model student and at home he has meltdowns and tantrums and says he hates school and doesn't want to go. His social anxiety is a killer for him at school, so he unloads at home. There is so much to learn about with Asperger's, and something new every week! Good luck to you.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Happy Girl HB User

Hey There!
My son does very well on Depakote & Risperdal combo for bipolar disorder. He's been on this combo for at least 4 years now. He's 14.
He is also ADD and takes Focalin.
Hope this helps you.
Jackie

Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
(female)

mommygiraffe HB User

My son was originally dx'd with bipolar disorder, and we went through a lot of pain until we went to a new psychiatrist for him and she confirmed our thoughts that he has Asperger's. At first she was between AS and PDD NOS, and had me research more to see which felt more like him, either way he is on the spectrum. The thing that seals it for me is that when I would read the message board I belonged to for parents of bipolar children I was constantly shaking my head and saying Joe isn't like that, or isn't that bad. With autism I'm not doing that, everything fits. That being said, he was on Risperdal and prozac when we thought he had bipolar. Prozac made him worse. My husband didn't like the possibilityof side effects on Risperdal, so now his new Psych has him on Abilify and Strattera, which are helping, but I'm wondering if he needs more of the abilify.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Happy Girl HB User

Hey There!
I have 2 BP children, one who is special needs and one who is gifted. The special needs child is 10 and just began taking Lamictal @ 2 weeks ago as a mood stablizer. The gifted child is 14, and he has been taking Depakote (in addition to Risperdal) as a mood stablizer for @ 7 years now. The Depakote has been very successful. His Depakote blood levels are monitored every 3 months.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
(female)

Pamlou HB User

My six year old grandson was just diagnosed with AS. I've tried doing research on the Internet but I'm not finding any positive answers. Since you have AS yourself, you seem like a good person to ask my questions to. Can a person outgrow the symptoms? Make friends? Lead a normal life? Forgive me if these questions are stupid but these are the things I'm not finding in my research. My grandson is seeing a therapist who is going to teach him how to interact with his peers. Is this possible? My heart goes out to you and others who have AS. The things I have been reading have upset me so much and I hope you can give me some answers, if you are so inclined to do so. Good luck with your own treatment.

Pamlou

Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

That the problem gets worse in noisy environments is an indicator that he may be sensorily overloaded. I am reading a book called The Mislabeled Child. Sensory issues play prominent roles in everything from autism to learning and language problems.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
(female)

Juliennes HB User

9catmom -

Who is the author of that book "The Mislabled Child" ?
Sounds very interesting....

Thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

The Mislabeled Child is written by Brock Eide, M.D., and Fernette Eide, M.D. It is a fascinating book. It covers everything from autism to difficulties with hearing and vision.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
(female)

Serendipity-12 HB User

I'm the mom of a newly diagnosed Aspie, today as a matter of fact. I'm surfing the net looking for help and answers. My son was diagnosed and treated as bi-polar since age 10-he is now 16. You letter was a ray of sunshine to me, very couragous for a 19 year old. Any suggestions on how I can get through to him with personal relationships. He wants so much to be accepted by his peers but can't find his way. Help from mom is rejected everytime. I want so much to help but don't know how. Any thoughts from a person close to Sean's age would be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread