It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

momof4boys HB User
My ADHD Aspergers, Dysgraphia, ODD, Sensory Disfunction Son's Story

My 7 year old was diagnosed last year with Asperger's. ADHD, Oppositional defiance disorder, disgraphia, Sensory disfunction, etc....

At that time I decided I would try every effort in the world to not put him on any prescribed meds.
I first went to his school and asked for an IEP because of his fine motor skills (cant write, tie shoes) and for his lack of social skills(was in everyone's face, kissing, licking, etc). They denied us because he was just a discipline problem and not Aspergers.

I then took him to an OT to work on the sensory issues along with the fine motor skills problems he was having. I also bought the book "The out of sync child has fun."(Great BooK!!!!!) We implemented alot of things from those two things at home. He now lifts a 5 pound weight each morning and night to get the sensory he needs. He also does the crab walk around our house and carries all of our heavy things(within reason)

I next took him to a naturalist Dr. who tested him and said that his PH and other things were way out of whack. He believed he was allergic to gluten, soy and dairy, but needed further testing. To make the testing covered by insurance I went to a regular allergist. After a frustrating conversation abut why I was there and her telling me that Aspergers has nothing to do with food allergies, she went to the back on her pc and brought me information and apoligised telling me things I knew all along. He tested positive for the wheat and slightly for the milk and soy. So our diet is now no gluten, soy or, dairy and very little sugar.

Today we did a test to check for heavy metals(mercury, etc.) No results for a few weeks. I'll let you know.

Since we did the diet without dairy I bought Rice Dream which had nutrients that dairy has, but he does not like the taste so I put in strawberry flavoring in it 2 times one day and 2 times the next day. After that I have never seen him so unbelievably out of control bouncing off the walls. I then went back to the internet and found that red dye # 40 causes many autistic children to act crazy. And of Course the strawberry syrup has red dye #40 in it.

I have noticed a great improvement, minus the strawberry syrup, in almost all areas. He comes home and tells me who he played with at recess and what they did. Before it was he played by himself on the swings.

My 10 year old has ADHD and tourettes and I have him on the same diet. He also tested positive for wheat, soy and dairy. He is a different child.

I hope these things help you out with what I did and where I went and where to look. If you have a question regarding things I'm sure I have been through it. I don't know all the answers as I'm still learning but finding what works for each individual child is what we all are aiming for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

momof4boys HB User
Re: My ADHD Aspergers, Dysgraphia, ODD, Sensory Disfunction Son's Story

Hi we got the results today for the heavy metals testing. Our son has elevated levels of mercury and very high levels of lead.
I have no idea where he got the lead from. All I know now is that we are going to get it removed.

Has anyone else had the same results and if so what did you do to get the metals removed?

Closed Thread