It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Discussing Asperger's With the Doctor

I am going to bring up the possibility that I have possible Asperger Syndrome with my doctor. On reading the DSM-IV description, plus a more everyday description of the Syndrome, I definitely see certain traits. The overwhelming trait is a tendency to becoming interested (obsessed?) with certain subjects. I am also socially awkward and a bit clumsy.

How would Asperger's affect my ability to pursue my dreams? (I know, at 42 years of age, I am not likely to become a fast runner or achieve anything on the epic scale of a Roger Bannister, who I believe has some degree of Asperger's, but can I obtain full-time employment, get married, and have children? Or should I have children, given my age and suspected Asperger's? Could anyone love me? Should I just concentrate my energies on my cats?)

Do they have to know at work? I have built up a reputation over the past 4 1/2 years as a good worker. I don't want that to go away. It is the one place I feel competent.

Is it already too late? Should I just be happy with what I have, or dare to dream for more? I am very happy with my life now, but there is a lot of room for improvement. At this time next year, I want to be a new and improved me. I have plans for my life I am mapping out over the next five years. I have a wild dream of going to London for the Olympics in 2012, to meet my inspiration, Roger Bannister. He has overcome so much to achieve greatness. I have written to him, telling him how much he has inspired me. (How is that for unusual?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
(female)

mommygiraffe HB User
Re: Discussing Asperger's With the Doctor

I feel I am an aspie as well, but I am not going to go for a formal dx, unless I bring it up at my regular psychiatrist visit, when I go for a med check. I have magor depression as well. I've done a bit of research on this as my son, Joe, nine, has been dx with Asperger's last year at eight. The more I read, the more sure I am that both of us have it, especially the social awkwardness in both of us, and the clumsiness as well. I am obsessed with reading, and when I get a hold of a topic, I can't let it go. I've taken online tests for asperger's and I always score very, very high. Anyway, that's my decision. There would be no reason, I don't think, that your employer, or anyone else at your work would have to know, if you are already doing great. It isn't something that would affect your job performance, or make you miss work, so what buisness is it of theirs? If anything there is a contigent of people who think being an aspie is an asset, and they're proud of it, and are against all the fight for a cure.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Mommygiraffe,

Thanks for your input. I am the same as you. Once I latch on to a topic, I can't let go. Currently, I am fascinated by Roger Bannister and the subject of Asperger Syndrome. I don't consider myself handicapped by my condition, merely a bit awkward and clumsy. I realize I am extremely fortunate.

Good luck to you and your son.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

9CatMom- I think you should talk to your doctor. I don't think it's going to take much to give you a diagnosis. You have it. I'd bet on that. Us Aspies may be inept at reading our own Aspie traits, but we can sure see them in others... I am part of the group that mommygiraffe described: I think Asperger's is an asset, I'm extremely proud to be an Aspie, and I would never, ever ask for a cure. It makes us unique and interesting. I don't know a single soul besides you who even knows who Roger Bannister IS, let alone all of the things about his life, and I doubt that you know somebody else who goes around quoting A Beautiful Mind all day. Like mommygiraffe said, who has to know? You won't be "labeled," if you don't tell people. Telling people is a very personal choice. Most don't like to. (I'm in the odd minority due to the fact that I flaunt it. I take the attitude that I'm going to be perceived as odd and eccentric anyway, so just saying a label that explains why I'm odd and eccentric doesn't really make a whole lot of difference. To me, having it and playing up the strengths is like basically saying, "Oh, you don't have Asperger's? Sorry that you're not cool like me...") So, if you don't tell others, they'll never know. Yes, they may think you're "quirky," but quirky people dominate. And I think you'll feel much more satisfied with a diagnosis. It'll help "complete" you in a sense. I know it did me. I wasn't fully satisfied until this September when my new Asperger's therapist officially diagnosed me and said that it was "extremely obvious" that I had it. If you don't get a diagnosis, I think you'll always feel like you're missing out on being an official member of a group or wondering if you are or you aren't. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Thank you, Gatsby!

I did talk to my doctor today. She suggested I see a psychologist who specializes in such issues. I am afraid to hear what she might say. I don't know what I'm more afraid of, to hear I have Asperger's or to get an evaluation and find out I am not as smart as I thought I was. What if I have a bad day and fail my evaluations? I remember messing up badly on the spatial abilities section of one test, completely failing it, and would up only in the average range. I think my I.Q. is higher than that. When I take tests on the Internet, I score between 125-145. I would like to attain a score that reflects my true abilities. I think I am more afraid of failing an I.Q. test than of having Asperger's.

I know I am doing relatively well, having a job I love and a good life all around, but I feel there are some things I might never be a participant. I don't think I will ever be married or have children, given my age and other difficulties. I want someone who will give me an honest assessment of my potential, without telling me that I am hopeless, on one hand, or placating me by saying I'm just like anyone else. I've had it both ways, and neither is the truth.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I just took an IQ test. I don't know the results, yet. Probably not good! Actually, an IQ test will show Asperger's. The WAIS is really more than an IQ test- it helps show individual deficits and potential neuropsychological problems, including learning disabilities, of which Asperger's is. I know mine will show it: high verbal, low performance. Let's just say that I zipped through the memory, vocabulary, and repetition tasks and spent an inordinate amount of time on the visual-spatial and math parts... You're obviously very intelligent. Intelligence is relative, anyway. There's many different forms of intelligence. I'm interested to see what my score is, but I really don't care what it is. I think I would've even a year ago, but I mean, I'm in college- I wouldn't be, if I didn't have at least an average IQ...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 11-14-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Gatsby,

I was given the same test and excelled in the verbal tasks and did poorly in the spatial tasks. The evaluator just ripped that part of the test away from me because I took too long for her. She didn't even give me a chance. The evaluator treated my score as an absolute number and didn't break it down into specifics, which I thought was unfair.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

It was suggested I see a psychologist, but I'm not sure I want to go. Why should I trust this person to do the right thing for me when so many before have not? Will my life get better with this diagnosis, or not? Can this person help me with my social difficulties and help me meet people? Could she help me become as close to normal as possible? (I have heard "normal" is not attainable for us, but I refuse to give up hope.)

Closed Thread