It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

cheer up HB User
Suspect Asperger's in adult male friend -- symptoms sound familiar?

Hope someone out there with Asperger's experience can help. A new friend (adult, late 40's) exhibits some odd behaviors and tendencies and to us it seems like possible Asperger's. Hoping to get some opinions because we certainly can't ASK the family about it, specifically, or if he's ever been diagnosed with anything.

Here are the "symptoms":

-Strange awkward "gait" and body poses when standing still
-Somewhat unable to make direct eye contact with others
-Difficulty in conversing with one or more people, or in keeping conversation going;
-Seeming to stare in an odd way;
-Preoccupation with going to the gym and with certain sports and their statistics;
-Seems rather naive and childlike in many ways, though not childISH.
-Quietly whispers back to himself the last words or sentence he has just heard, from a person or TV or whatever; this is frequent!
-Prefers lots of regimentation over spontaneity;
-Rarely shows emotion; very even tempered all the time;
-When driving, appears to concentrate yet often seems like he will fail to stop until the last second -- frightening.
-Does manage to work in an office, doing repetitive yet managerial, accounting work;
-Had major problems with alcohol during school years yet graduated, and is still in AA to this day but had a couple of relapses along the way;
-Views himself as being very shy;
-Difficulty making some decisions such as what to buy for dinner or whether or not to buy clothing at the mall. Can go through 20 stores and still buy nothing, though admiring lots that is seen. (Not a money issue)
-Lives uncomplicated spartan existence -- no emphasis on creature comforts or decor;
-His mother says even from infancy he never wanted to be held or cuddled; pushed people away then, unlike her daughter, born later.
-Mother says this guy is "just like his father was." (father recently deceased)
-Guy never seems to want to use the phone and when he does, he keeps talk very brief and hangs up quickly.
-Very articulate and excellent communicator via e-mail, but not easy to converse with in person or via phone;
-Can't quit smoking; has tried and supposedly wants to, but just can't seem to --

-OH yes, one more thing -- we were talking to him the other day about going for a simple medical check-up and he all of a sudden let out a sound unlike his normal voice and unintelligible. It was quick, I happened to still be talking, but his utterance was indecipherable. Seemed like some sort of mocking yelp or high pitched utterance. (Speaking in tongues?) We asked "What???" But he just responded with "Nothing." He finally admitted after urging that he "might have grunted or something." Well, that was no "grunt." I think we pushed him to have a mini-episode of some sort with our badgering. We don't think even HE knows what he did.

There's a bit more but that's all I can think of at the moment. That's enough, right? The brother had told us this guy "will never be a great conversationalist, and we should not expect it." I guess maybe he's trying to tell us something, huh? Maybe there was a diagnosis at one point, but nothing is admitted to and the guy himself says nothing about his having any conditions.

Does any of this sound like Asperger's? Or something else? When Googled, all of these symptoms seem tied up together into many possible diagnoses. AS, OCD, ADHD, Autism, Schizophrenia, PDD, Tourette's, you name it.

Any clues? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Suspect Asperger's in adult male friend -- symptoms sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer up
-Strange awkward "gait" and body poses when standing still
-Somewhat unable to make direct eye contact with others
-Difficulty in conversing with one or more people, or in keeping conversation going;
-Preoccupation with going to the gym and with certain sports and their statistics;
-Seems rather naive and childlike in many ways, though not childISH.
-Quietly whispers back to himself the last words or sentence he has just heard, from a person or TV or whatever; this is frequent!
-Prefers lots of regimentation over spontaneity;
-Guy never seems to want to use the phone and when he does, he keeps talk very brief and hangs up quickly.
-Very articulate and excellent communicator via e-mail, but not easy to converse with in person or via phone
Well, he's certainly got a lot of the traits, I'll say that! I listed the ones that are like me. I put the ones about the phone in bold because I find it very interesting that your friend does this. I never knew until a few months ago when I was diagnosed that this was an Aspie thing. In fact, it was one of the key things that brought about my diagnosis. (I'm actually avoiding calling someone right now... ) I, too, recite movie and TV quotes and I also do the gestures/facial expressions and say the quotes with the proper intonation and inflection that the original actor said them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult, which is why some of my traits aren't very obvious. I also have OCD, if you'd like to understand the differences between the two.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 05-27-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Some of it sounds like Asperger's (the odd gait, obsessions with certain subjects), but other things sound more typical. Every with AS is different. A lot of difficulties can co-exist with autism/Asperger's, such as OCD, Tourette's, anxiety and depression, to name a few.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

cheer up HB User

Thank you both for your prompt replies -- this man is the nicest person around, and my husband works with him and we've met a couple of his family members. The deceased father may be the one who had a touch of AS or any of the rest of the syndromes.

We realize there is nothing we can do other than stay in touch with him and keep quiet. It is not our business. We would not dream of interfering and are not sure the family has ever tried to do anything to investigate. He copes relatively well, lives on his own, and is very smart.

If anyone else has anything more to add, please do so.

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

cheer up HB User

Thanks GatsbyLuvr -- I surely would like to know the differences between OCD and Asperger's. From what's been read, it's clear all these things are tied up together at times. I'd be very pleased to hear more. Thank you!

And anyone else, feel free to jump in, too. Don't want to pin a label on someone, and it won't affect our friendship with our friend one bit but we would like to understand what's going on just a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Well, he's certainly got a lot of the traits, I'll say that! I listed the ones that are like me. I put the ones about the phone in bold because I find it very interesting that your friend does this. I never knew until a few months ago when I was diagnosed that this was an Aspie thing. In fact, it was one of the key things that brought about my diagnosis. (I'm actually avoiding calling someone right now... ) I, too, recite movie and TV quotes and I also do the gestures/facial expressions and say the quotes with the proper intonation and inflection that the original actor said them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm 19, college sophomore, and I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult, which is why some of my traits are very obvious. I also have OCD, if you'd like to understand the differences between the two.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
(male)

stepdad75 HB User

Finally, a place that might help. I have been raising a teenage boy with aspergers for the past three years, with his mother ofcourse. And boy oh boy ..... What a Mind-Crippling & Frustrating experience it must be for full-time moms and dads...let alone the single moms out there dealing with this due to emotional strain on relationships.
To keep my first comments short...I would like to voice my interpretation of what side of the spectrum we deal with ~
With the OCD, PDD, ADD, ADHD and all those wonderful disorders going on...they are all having a domino effect upon one another inside the brain of the person diagnosed. I sense a lot of the single-symptons we observe and comment on, are outcomes on how things are annalyzed. Short-term memory is shot .... because the OCD creates tunnel-vision and only one thing is focused on. He has decided school isn't for him ( at 17 ) yet...it's been 3 months since he has left the house to find a part time job he insisted he was going to do. There is no respect for house rules it seems, and no discipline can be layed without a violent episode. And, he isn't a child anymore bodywise ..... lives in the moment and unable to grasp the meaning of consequence..... If that makes any sense to anyone...I'm new to this...but want to be as understanding as I can to this ordeal. As parents, we live it just as much as the child.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

Cathy01 HB User

My son, 17, is touched with Asperger's. Sounds like him a bit. I feel that people w/asperger's have been around for ages.There is a extensive list of scientits suspected to have this syndrome. They are a bit "quirky", as my son has been described. Likes rules and upset when other people don't follow them. Has what I consider a "dry" sense of humor. Use to have alot of trouble taking things too literally. He is just different. After my son was diagnosed I started to realize my husband (he realized also) and son are alot like, or vis-versa. Just take them for who they are. They may not be expressive emotionally but they really apreciated it from other people, to an extent. It is not totally uncommon to have "tics". Odd facial exressions, noises. My son used to hum music when stressed out, got into trouble for disrupting class. Had trouble concentrating with noise is class so he did this to drown out that noise. Usually have over sensitive auditory responses. I have heard/read having asp. may redispose them to tourettes syndrome (tics). But that does not mean everyone w/it will have that feature. They are all individuals just the the "rest of us".

Closed Thread